What’s your favourite drive pedal?

What's Hot

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 854
    Many have been and gone but the lowly OCD is my favourite drive pedal. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 893
    @rico you say lowly but I think it’s a fine pedal. Certainly in my top three drive pedals that I’ve tried. I’ve had one for ages and it will never leave me (again after I had to buy it back after stupidly selling it once).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • bassborabassbora Frets: 55
    I am a big fan of Wampler pedals. I have the Triple Wreck and I think it’s just epic. I also have Pinnacle Deluxe v2 for the Marshall type sounds. Very versatile pedal. OCD is on the board as well but doesn’t seem to get used that much anymore 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2186
    Sporky said:
    Subdecay Liquid Sunshine for just-breaking-up stuff.

Zoom Hyperlead for crunch to full-on rawkstortion.

Zoom Ultra Fuzz for paint-stripping insanity.

Similar setup here:

liquid sunshine mk3 (always on)

Magneto White Atom fuzz (for extra hair)

Surfing Bear (for lead tones)

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 432
    Short answer; All of them!

I've got a Zendrive 2 (the valve one), an Ethos OD, a ZVex Fat Fuzz Factory, an original Marshall Guv'nor, a Maxon OD808, an 80's Rat II and a Turbo Rat ...but I've never sold, passed-on or chucked out a drive pedal, even if they've fallen out of favour (the Rat II) or I haven't really got on with them to begin with (the Maxon, Turbo Rat and Guv'nor).

But, after having a bit of a rummage ahead of a proposed sell-off of some old unused stuff, I've just discovered they're all great ...in the right circumstances.

The Rat II does 80's Rock and 90's Grunge expertly, the Maxon is sublime with single coils, the Guv'nor does 70's bark like no other pedal I've ever heard and is awesome with P-90's ...and the Turbo Rat (which I seriously disliked from the get-go) turns out to be a monster distortion factory for bass and synths.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    ...and I'm still leaving room on the board for an imminent Thorpy Peacekeeper!
    ...and possibly a Two Notes Le Clean...  B)
  • BorkBork Frets: 80
    I haven't found the drive pedal that is the sound in my head (although the Tight Rock is half way there).  Basically I want an Fender Super Champ on the verge of meltdown, with harmonics leaping off the fingerboard like it was a hot plate.  Any suggestions would be welcome.
  • Bork said:
    I haven't found the drive pedal that is the sound in my head (although the Tight Rock is half way there).  Basically I want an Fender Super Champ on the verge of meltdown, with harmonics leaping off the fingerboard like it was a hot plate.  Any suggestions would be welcome.
    Isn’t that what a King of Tone is meant to be? Still needs the volume to work though
  • FezFez Frets: 199
    Mad Professor LGW for mid gain and Thorpy Fallout for Fuzz.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1274
    Bork said:

The CTC Stardust Blackface and the Bearfoot Silver Bee are meant to be in that camp

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 631
    The two Blackstar pedals I used to have sounded great. The HT Dual and DistX. If they used regular power supplies i'd probably still own them. As it stands, I do wish I'd kept them.

Of the pedals I still own the Digitech Hardwire  SC-2 Valve Distortion sounds absolutely incredible. 

• JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 254
    I'm going to be boring and say that I really like the Boss BD2W, but then I also really like the MD2 Mega Distortion so what do I know?

The Proco Turbo Rat is a big favourite too.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 334
    My old (now sold) Sunface NKT was the best overall drive pedal I ever owned. 

If discounting fuzz, the Wampler Plexi Drive gave me the most fun when I was playing with higher gain than I do these days, The Triple Wreck was a beast. 

These days having fun with a Catalinbread 5f6 for old Fender and Keeley 1962x for old Marshall tones.  
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 36
    edited March 11
    The OCD is my favourite pedal overall. Great and easy to use. 
  • pmgpmg Frets: 215
    Tim and OCD
  • Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 60
    For OCD users do you like the Toggle up or toggle down sounds the best? When mine was in regular use I always preferred the more Fendery sounds of toggle down.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 893
    @Grocer_Jack I prefer mine up with a bit more bite but then I use mine for a slightly heavier tone. I have other pedals I prefer for lighter drives
  • JackieB33JackieB33 Frets: 118
    Xotic B.B. and Nobels ODR-1 in a dead heat 
    @gibsongretschfan man after my own heart. +1 for those two, 
    ''i've not seen a reaction like that in here since George Best got kicked out for glassing a bouncer''
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 700
    Never really seen the charm in buying and selling loads of drive pedals, my idea is have a few reputable ones that cover the territory I need covered and stick with them.  Currently have a Lovepedal Amp 11,  Xotic BB Preamp, Tech 21 Flyrig and some dirt options on various amps.  These get me the sounds I want, but I can't claim they're superior to the rest because I don't know the rest.

I am tempted by a Helix or similar modeller but that's to do with form and function rather than because I think I'll get better drive sounds.

“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.” Bertrand Russell

• jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 114
    Blackstar Ht Dual for a distortion source, Vox Ice 9 for overdrive.
  • JackieB33 said:
    Xotic B.B. and Nobels ODR-1 in a dead heat 
    @gibsongretschfan man after my own heart. +1 for those two, 
    High five;)
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 72
    Lightspeed for me
  • ragingbenragingben Frets: 44
    For me there's three drive pedals that really stick in my mind, of loads I've tried they're the ones that stayed!

Subdecay Liquid Sunshine - for really low gain this is simply beautiful. I have the V1, the two drive setup still baffles me but it sounds stunning.

Amptweaker Tight Drive Pro - so, so versatile, just sounds great whatever I run it through, and acts as the 'heart' of my pedalboard with the 3 loops. Well thought out and executed pedals, not sure why the Tight Drive doesn't get more love.

Blackarts Toneworks Pharaoh Supreme - stunning fuzz. I have the regular Pharaoh too, both amazing pedals. I prefer the looks and simplicity of the regular Pharaoh but the Supreme has the mosfet clipping which is lovely - very dense and complex. It can get pretty fuzzy, but I really like the geranium clipping with lower gain and lower pre settings. If there was an overdrive set up like the Pharaoh with just geranium clipping, the tone at 9 o'clock, the high near 5 o'clock, a pre control that ranged from 8 to 11 o'clock and the same fuzz range it would be a revered overdrive. The Pharaoh is one of those pedals where everything at max (except the tone control) sounds amazing, but the lower gain stuff it can do is just as good. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 3775
    For OCD users do you like the Toggle up or toggle down sounds the best? When mine was in regular use I always preferred the more Fendery sounds of toggle down.

Toggle down and 18V power.
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 212
    For me and for the extra LOL's it's still the Boss OD-1 and SD-2. A rarity for me but I managed a good few hours last night tweaking the drives. I've now got the OD-1 after the SD-2 so it's RYRA>SD-2>OD-1.
    On the RYRA I bumped up the output, treble backed off and set the gain to 11 o'clock, I was getting some gloriously stacked overdriven/crunchy/lovely lead tones. It's probably the best I've heard my board to date, I'm not sure if it's the work of the RYRA but I'm really, really happy with this setup. Both the Boss OD-1 and SD-2 have been a revelation, they also both stack nicely without the help of the Klone, they are just so easy to dial in.
    I don't miss my Zvex Double Rock at all, maybe the SHO section? but it was a real pain in the arse to set up during rehearsals, it seemed to have way too much output and it was just too sensitive, I felt I was constantly fighting with it. Anyone else have this with the Double Rock?   
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • CaptainBbCaptainBb Frets: 17
    Little Green Wonder for mild to mid OD.  Rothwell Tornado for thick Marshally tones and beyond.
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 142
    For me and for the extra LOL's it's still the Boss OD-1 and SD-2. A rarity for me but I managed a good few hours last night tweaking the drives. I've now got the OD-1 after the SD-2 so it's RYRA>SD-2>OD-1.
    On the RYRA I bumped up the output, treble backed off and set the gain to 11 o'clock, I was getting some gloriously stacked overdriven/crunchy/lovely lead tones. It's probably the best I've heard my board to date, I'm not sure if it's the work of the RYRA but I'm really, really happy with this setup. Both the Boss OD-1 and SD-2 have been a revelation, they also both stack nicely without the help of the Klone, they are just so easy to dial in.
    I don't miss my Zvex Double Rock at all, maybe the SHO section? but it was a real pain in the arse to set up during rehearsals, it seemed to have way too much output and it was just too sensitive, I felt I was constantly fighting with it. Anyone else have this with the Double Rock?   
    How do you have the SD-2 set up? Would be good to know, so I can try my RYRA > SD-2 also
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

No, but I do have a ZVex Fat Fuzz Factory that suffers from exactly the same problems; it's overly sensitive when dialling-in and it's mentally loud!

Still a lot of fun if you take it for what it is though...
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 212
    How do you have the SD-2 set up? Would be good to know, so I can try my RYRA > SD-2 also
    No probs! @smudge_lad ; I'll send you some pictures of the settings when I get back from work. it may not be to your liking but I've been tweaking the lead/red channel for a nice thick lead tone it's for a song we are covering for a fast approaching gig, The green/crunch channel is set up roughly level 11, tone 10, drive 11 I think? it gets me a nice crunchy OD but when you kick in the RYRA with the above settings to my ears it sounds fantastic adds a bit of magic to it, it really stands out