Program to read sibelius files for mac

I'm looking for a program that will read ...print and play sibelius files....the obvious choice is sebelius but looking for something cheaper possibly ...its for a mac
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited March 2018
    I think you'd be lucky to find one. Even recent Sibelius versions can't read files written by older versions. Have Sibelius ever published their file format? The best you might do is get someone to import the file into Sibelius and then export it in MIDI format. You stand more chance of finding a tool that can read such a file.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    I think you'd be lucky to find one. Even recent Sibelius versions can't read files written by older versions. Have Sibelius ever published their file format? The best you might do is get someone to import the file into Sibelius and then export it in MIDI format. You stand more chance of finding a tool that can read such a file.
    Thanks ...I was hoping it would be much more simple than that :)
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited March 2018
    One option is to subscribe to Sibelius for one month, which will cost in the region of £20.

Then, using Sibelius, export the files to XML format.

Then download free software such as Musescore, and import the XML files.

It's not a competition.
    One option is to subscribe to Sibelius for one month, which will cost in the region of £20.

Yeah I could do that but the problem is I will be getting these sibelius files every month ...

I maybe will have to just buy a light version of sibelius I'm thinking :)
    Barney said:

Yeah I could do that but the problem is I will be getting these sibelius files every month ...

Where do the files come from? Could you ask the supplier to provide XML exports? Then import them into Musescore.
    It's not a competition.
    Barney said:

Where do the files come from? Could you ask the supplier to provide XML exports? Then import them into Musescore.
    Possibly ...it's going to be part of my lessons so would really need to play them as well I'm not sure off musescore would play and print ?
    Barney said:
    Barney said:

I maybe will have to just buy a light version of sibelius I'm thinking
    Possibly ...it's going to be part of my lessons so would really need to play them as well I'm not sure off musescore would play and print ?
    Musescore will play and print. It uses the FluidR3 sound font which is passable in terms of sound.
    It's not a competition.
    Barney said:
    Barney said:

I maybe will have to just buy a light version of sibelius I'm thinking
    Musescore will play and print. It uses the FluidR3 sound font which is passable in terms of sound.
    Thanks.. that's great ..I will look into this :)