NME .... RIP

What's Hot
fandangofandango Frets: 2204
Heard today that NME is throwing in the towel.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11743
    Yes just read that.

The free version was borderline unreadable, so it was only a matter of time.

Not like the old days, I remember I used to buy it every week in my youth!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I preferred Melody Maker in the late 60s and 70s. Shame NME has gone but everything's online these days.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22728

I didn't like NME in my youth because they never covered hard rock or metal bands.  In fact I don't think they even acknowledged the existence of anything outside of whatever they thought was hip and cool.

So fuck 'em, good riddance.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 18reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I’m still mourning the loss of Flexipop. Free acetate 45 with every issue. Had to use a coin to weigh it down. Kids today wouldn’t know what I’m talking about.. etc, etc.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28019
    Philly_Q said:

I didn't like NME in my youth because they never covered hard rock or metal bands.  In fact I don't think they even acknowledged the existence of anything outside of whatever they thought was hip and cool.

I felt the same way about the British Dental Journal's appalling lack of coverage of the latest developments in quantum loop gravity research.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NME died a long time ago IMO
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Oh no, where am I now going to get my cynical, sneering, cliquey prose on the remains of a genre that died an almighty death in the mid-2000’s*

* and I say that as a big “indie” fan
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22728
    Sporky said:
    Philly_Q said:

I felt the same way about the British Dental Journal's appalling lack of coverage of the latest developments in quantum loop gravity research.
    I don't quite understand but I think you're probably being a bit rude and implying metal isn't music.  Or something.  :(
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I always thought that NME was indie hip rubbish. Couldn't stand it. Having said that, you have to congratulate it for existing for so long. It outlived all the other music rags by many decades. For me it was SOUNDS all the way, heavy metal rock and punk, all I needed at 17. Melody Maker I occasionally bought if SOUNDS had sold out.

I still have my SOUNDS T-shirt! A free gift back in about '78
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Philly_Q said:
    I don't quite understand but I think you're probably being a bit rude and implying metal isn't music.  Or something.  :(
    Of course metal is a form of music. They even did a documentary about it. I think it was called Spinal Tap :)
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I've never read a whole one in my life; it had a reputation of being ' cynical, sneering, cliquey' ( to quote @dindude ) and then increasingly irrelevant. I guess it would have been pretty mainstream once upon an earlier time, more like the Smash Hits of it's day. 
    As a teen I was a keen reader of Sounds, occasionally Melody Maker and then the start of the glossies like Kerrang and Q so the loss of any bit of the musical press seems a bit sad. But beyond that I'd struggle with an RIP. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26923
    Everyone regarded it as shit when I was reading it at 18, 15-odd years ago, so I’m really amazed it’s lasted this long
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    Still - at least we’ve still got Smash Hits....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Let's face it, the written page was never the best medium to talk about music.

Even less so now you can just look up any song and hear it for nowt.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    I've never read a whole one in my life; it had a reputation of being ' cynical, sneering, cliquey' ( to quote @dindude ) and then increasingly irrelevant. I guess it would have been pretty mainstream once upon an earlier time, more like the Smash Hits of it's day. 
    As a teen I was a keen reader of Sounds, occasionally Melody Maker and then the start of the glossies like Kerrang and Q so the loss of any bit of the musical press seems a bit sad. But beyond that I'd struggle with an RIP. 
    Yep - I'd agree with that.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28019
    Philly_Q said:

Not at all. Some of the music I like is probably metal.

Just that NME wasn't meant to be about all genres of music, so lack of coverage of a different genre shouldn't have been surprising. It was basically about indie, bit of goth, punk and soft industrial at a pinch.

Metal and hard rock were Kerrang's thing, no?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • cpcompanycpcompany Frets: 126
    Used to read it a lot when I was a youngun. Then like everyone else had to pretend I was too cool to read it by the time I was about 18
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    The N.M.E meant nothing to you, and the maker, well the maker of who?
  • furtherfurther Frets: 88
    Do you mean The New Musical Express ?
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Good, it was a sack of shit and has been for some time. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....