Andertons Marshall Origin Video Up

What's Hot

Comments

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1205
    I don't like the faceplate and controls layout/design. Looks nothing like their classic/heritage heads, but then I guess they're possibly not going for that. More of a budget style nod perhaps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • From a distance, they look okay - they look like marshall amps.

I would like to hear one in person, they're not amazingly cheap but hopefully built well and worth every penny. What speakers do they have?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    Good demo of an Angry Charlie, a HOF and a Tubescreamer clone. I’ve still no idea what the amps sound like, though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    From a distance, they look okay - they look like marshall amps.

I would like to hear one in person, they're not amazingly cheap but hopefully built well and worth every penny. What speakers do they have?
    I’d say £550 odd for a new 50w Marshall head is pretty decent. 
  • rico said:
    From a distance, they look okay - they look like marshall amps.

I’d say £550 odd for a new 50w Marshall head is pretty decent. 

Jet city are nearly half price in comparison for a similarly sized single channel 50 watt head. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Jet city are nearly half price in comparison for a similarly sized single channel 50 watt head. 
    The Jet City actually has two channels, although with shared EQ. The Marshall only has a footswitchable boost.

As p90fool said, the Jet City is also likely to be better made - although the new Vietnamese Marshall DSLs are better than the older British ones, they're still not as good as the Jet Citys. We will have to wait and see what the Origins are like inside.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    SimonC said:
    Good demo of an Angry Charlie, a HOF and a Tubescreamer clone. I’ve still no idea what the amps sound like, though.
    Why do people demo-ing amps that are supposed to be set dirty do this? It seems to me that they're missing the point of amps like these. 
    How many prominent guitarists have used Jet City amps?
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    rico said:
    Synyster Gates was a confirmed user, A7X are one of the biggest rock bands on the face of the planet. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    rico said:
    More importantly, how many would use an Origin ? probably zero, I’d like to try one out but then I’m not a huge Marshall fan ;)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31519
    rico said:
    The 50h is a Soldano design, made more cheaply in Asia. 

The Marshall is a Marshall design, made more cheaply in Asia. 

Take your pick.  
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    rico said:
    The 20HV was modded for Joe Perry to drive a talk box IIRC. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rico said:

Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengeance toured the world with them and iso cabs.

Joe Perry, too, I think. 
    My point was to compare the popularity of Marshall vs Jet City, I wrote it with tongue firmly in cheek.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    rico said:
    My point was to compare the popularity of Marshall vs Jet City, I wrote it with tongue firmly in cheek.
    I should probably have put tongue in cheek for my first comment too, given how it's spiralled :).

Yes, it's absolutely true that you can buy a new Jet City 50W 2-channel head for under £300, and it's very well made. In fact, it's a near-exact copy of a Soldano SLO but half the power. (A couple of minor differences aside, one of which makes it *much* brighter than an SLO and a bit shrill, but is easily fixed.)

I honestly think they pass under the radar for a lot of people exactly because they are *so* cheap you have to wonder what's wrong with them. But the answer is, nothing - not that I've found, anyway.

Part of the reason they're cheap is probably because the R&D cost was done long ago with the SLO. Marshall's new amp appears to be a bit more of a new design, so it will be carrying some R&D overheads. And as far as I understand it, Marshall have invested a fair amount of money in their own Vietnamese plant, which will need to be recovered - I'm not sure who builds the Jet Citys in China.

And it's also true that Jet City doesn't have the sort of brand identity that Marshall has - but they really should have, because they're very much an illustration of just how much (or little) it really costs to make a good quality valve amp. It's not rocket science.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    ICBM said:
    rico said:
    I should probably have put tongue in cheek for my first comment too, given how it's spiralled :).

Yes, it's absolutely true that you can buy a new Jet City 50W 2-channel head for under £300, and it's very well made. In fact, it's a near-exact copy of a Soldano SLO but half the power. (A couple of minor differences aside, one of which makes it *much* brighter than an SLO and a bit shrill, but is easily fixed.)

I honestly think they pass under the radar for a lot of people exactly because they are *so* cheap you have to wonder what's wrong with them. But the answer is, nothing - not that I've found, anyway.

Part of the reason they're cheap is probably because the R&D cost was done long ago with the SLO. Marshall's new amp appears to be a bit more of a new design, so it will be carrying some R&D overheads. And as far as I understand it, Marshall have invested a fair amount of money in their own Vietnamese plant, which will need to be recovered - I'm not sure who builds the Jet Citys in China.

And it's also true that Jet City doesn't have the sort of brand identity that Marshall has - but they really should have, because they're very much an illustration of just how much (or little) it really costs to make a good quality valve amp. It's not rocket science.
    The cost put me off, until you told me all about them.
    The 50h looks pretty much perfect for what I need.
    The thing that puts me off now is the fact I can;t try one anywhere, They need to have some kind of way for people to try them out without being worried about getting stuck with the amp if it doesn't work out.

• photekphotek Frets: 1463
    @riffpowers I got my last 50H for £150 and sold it for £150 really easily, not much risk involved to be honest.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    ICBM said:
    rico said:

Isn’t the JCA closer to the Hotrod 50 than SLO?

The JCA heads I’ve owned were good but nowhere near the SLO for depth of tone, but what do you expect for under £300!
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    I skipped through all the bollocks that made up most of this video, did they only do the "everything on 10" test using the 5w combo?! Surely that should have been a job for the 50w head through a 4x12...
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    IMC1980 said:
    I skipped through all the bollocks that made up most of this video, did they only do the "everything on 10" test using the 5w combo?! Surely that should have been a job for the 50w head through a 4x12...
    Maybe they value their hearing?
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.