Anyone over 40 still skateboarding (or restarted)?

What's Hot

Comments

• paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    edited March 2018
    Fretwired said:
    No but this was a good prank ....

Showed my 7yo that last night 

LuttiS said:
    32 and still skating, not quite a silver street surfer yet but i'm planning on it

Mind you, i've recently found myself interested in longboarding...

She (the 7yo) was transfixed by that video

@Flink_Poyd said:
    Has to ease off and eventually stop due to my ankles being like glass and taking a few slams that took weeks to shake off. 
    @Hoof said:
    don't think my body would withstand the constant slams anymore.
    Yes this may be an issue, I'm not planning to doing anything too hairy mainly just carving around. Joints wise I think I'll be OK, I do need to do some stretching though to that'll be my undoing.

I do have an arthritic big toe joint but that has pretty much fused now so should be OK.

@CHRISB50 said:
    I have two mates who I went to school with who are still both skating. Both 40 this year. 

If you still want to, do it. Have fun with your son! 
    Have a wis, I've found a massive FB group so looks like I'm not in that much of minority.

Yep. Despite the fact that at 43, 10 years ago, i fractured my knee and blew the ligaments dropping in (badly) to the halfpipe at the meanwhile park underneath the Westway
    Good to hear, that you're still at it not the knee damage!

KDS said:
    Not the same thing but I'm 44 and started roller skating last Saturday, got feed up of watching the eldest at skate club and wanted to have a go. Had loads of fun and good work out, just bought some nice skates 
    Me too, bought the wife a set of skate a couple of Christmases ago and got fed watching her and the kid at the leisure centre roller skating sessions so joined in too.

First time out I did take a couple of heavy falls in quick succession on my hip/arse area last year learning to roller-skate and had a massive bruise.

pmbomb said:
    I'm 51 and have one hanging in the garage. Never ridden it but I can ride a snowboard ok.

Should I?

What could possibly go wrong?
    If you can snowboard and imagine it would be fairly easy to pick up, transferable sills and all that.

west said:
    be Old...  be Foolish ... be Happy ......
    Unfortunately I can't award you more than one wis for that
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
     Could never kickflip, only heelflip. Sadly I think that makes me a loser. I only took it up to fill in the non snow months as a youngster (grew up in Fort William). There was zero scene though, and I struggled with commitment compared to snowboarding. Loved it though, and still have a board in my garage. Might do a fs 180 in the living room tonight =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    gusman2x said:
     Could never kickflip, only heelflip. Sadly I think that makes me a loser. I only took it up to fill in the non snow months as a youngster (grew up in Fort William). There was zero scene though, and I struggled with commitment compared to snowboarding. Loved it though, and still have a board in my garage. Might do a fs 180 in the living room tonight =)
    Not at all a loser, a heel flip was definitely a rarer beast so worth more points ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243

pmbomb said:
    I'm 51 and have one hanging in the garage. Never ridden it but I can ride a snowboard ok.

Should I?

If you can snowboard and imagine it would be fairly easy to pick up, transferable sills and all that.

I thought this too when i started snowboarding. I was mistaken. I found it's not as transferable as you would hope :)  

Still both are awesome cool super fun times!

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    LuttiS said:

pmbomb said:

Should I?

I thought this too when i started snowboarding. I was mistaken. I found it's not as transferable as you would hope :)  

Still both are awesome cool super fun times!

haha yeah I came back fresh from a snowboard holiday and thought "the time to get on that skateboard is right now".

slam. they don't carve or slip sideways.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I’ve only ever had one go on a skateboard, which was a perfect demonstration of Newton’s Third Law.

No sooner had I attempted to get on it, I went one way, the skateboard went the other. I ended up on my back on the concrete, and the skateboard launched itself towards the edge of the sea wall, only just being caught by my son before it disappeared into the waves.

My hopes and dreams of being the next Tony Hawkes and wearing those baggy strides that hung down like I’d shit my pants, were dashed as a result of that one single incident.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WillEdmundsWillEdmunds Frets: 168
    I’d love to still be skating but I quit to avoid any more injuries that would prevent me playing guitar. It’s so much fun but I’d be out of work if I broke my wrist again! Don’t let me put you off though. Full pads and wrist guards and you’ll be fine. 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2940
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    blobb said:
    That looks ace, proper relic ;)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28330
    I never did skateboards, but I was still out on my roller hockey boots at 52. Probably haven't used them the past 3 years though. I used to accompany my then 10 year old daughter to the park when she biked it. I can skate backwards at speed!
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    axisus said:
    I never did skateboards, but I was still out on my roller hockey boots at 52. Probably haven't used them the past 3 years though. I used to accompany my then 10 year old daughter to the park when she biked it. I can skate backwards at speed!

Same here never got in to skateboarding, I surfed a lot in my teens and 20s, and played roller hockey at a decent level.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4528
    @photek 43 i think. not skated for a few years and gave up doing it all the time around the time Salabanzi started (2010?) bloody loved it. Skated mini ramps mainly but could ollie a men at work sign in my prime out on the streets
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I miss my Mike Vallely Barnyard board with SAN Diego trucks and Mini Rat wheels. I was never great at skating but it was a daily routine for about 5 years.
    which was a shame, because that deck was shredded when I sold it and it would have been 4 figures if it was mint.

ahhh well

i don’t fancy the gashed elbows and knees anymore
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    @DesVegas ;

bastien Salabanzi?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4528
    edited March 2018
    @duotone ;;
    yep bastian salabanzi, i named my band after him - see 3 minutes 32

• duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    DesVegas said:
    @duotone ;;
    yep bastian salabanzi, i named my band after him - see 3 minutes 32

Remember seeing him on Flips Sorry video.  It says on the YouTube description that he was 15 years old & it was released in 2002.

He starts skating at 35 seconds.  Had never seen land a kickflip with their feet in the ‘wrong’ position before. Awesome skater...think he is back again skating now for Primitive Skateboards.

https://youtu.be/B6eOhBN8dv4
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    Interesting topic.

I'm 52 (53 in a couple of months). I took up skating again at 41. I found a like minded group of folks called "Middle Age Shred", (they have a website).

I skated regularly for a few years with the crew and actually got to be far batter than I was in the 70's and early 80's. 

I took many tumbles, but the final one in Stockport bowl, stopped me doing anything rad. Broken foot and two serious sprains, I limped for about 6 months. The long board then got most of the action after that.

I did build a 28 foot mini ramp in my garden and used to session it with my lads and their mates. Great days indeed.

Now, advice. Buy the best pads and helmet you can afford, and DO NOT get on a board without wearing them. I've seen men my own age stretchered out to ambulances too many times. Also, wristguards are a must. My best purchase were padded shorts to protect my lower spine and hips. 

Lastly, wooded indoor parks hurt a lot less than outdoor concrete ones!

Enjoy!

Rob

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Ossyrocks said:
    Interesting topic.

I'm 52 (53 in a couple of months). I took up skating again at 41. I found a like minded group of folks called "Middle Age Shred", (they have a website).

I skated regularly for a few years with the crew and actually got to be far batter than I was in the 70's and early 80's. 

I took many tumbles, but the final one in Stockport bowl, stopped me doing anything rad. Broken foot and two serious sprains, I limped for about 6 months. The long board then got most of the action after that.

I did build a 28 foot mini ramp in my garden and used to session it with my lads and their mates. Great days indeed.

Now, advice. Buy the best pads and helmet you can afford, and DO NOT get on a board without wearing them. I've seen men my own age stretchered out to ambulances too many times. Also, wristguards are a must. My best purchase were padded shorts to protect my lower spine and hips. 

Lastly, wooded indoor parks hurt a lot less than outdoor concrete ones!

Enjoy!

Rob

Yes found Middle Age Shred, forum's pretty quiet now and seems to have been superseded by their facebook group which is very active.

Got the pads and helmet sorted, might well upgrade the knees at a later date. And got it on the wrist guards – a broken wrist would be really problematic work wise.

I'll check out the padded shorts, last year I was sporting a dinner plate sized, technicolour bruise on my hip/arse area courtesy of roller skates.

Thanks for your thoughts, have a wis :)
    Ossyrocks said:
    Interesting topic.

My best purchase were padded shorts to protect my lower spine and hips. 
    Something like this or more substantial again?