line out to pc, whats going on?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3443
My line out is still controlled by the amps volume, I thougjt it would be a set volume and I could mute the amps volume, is this normal? Its a Vox Cambridge 30 hybrid amp.
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    The line out socket on th Cambridge 30 is derived from the main power amp output, fed via a potential divider to drop the signal level. So basically all the amp controls will influence the line out in the same way as the speaker or headphone outputs.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3443
    So if I put a switch on the live feed to the speaker to mute it would this harm the amp running it basically with the speaker disconnected for long periods of time?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    Well first of all you won’t damage the solid state output IC with no load (e.g. speaker) connected. But before you go to the trouble of fitting a switch in the speaker cable, just put a jack plug into the extension speaker socket, because I think from memory it cuts the speaker.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630

Do NOT assume you can drive the bllx off a solid state amp into an O/C with impunity!

Yes, most of them, most of the time with 'in ratings' drive will be ok but once in a bluey...SMOKE!

With say a 100 Ohm load you could be pretty safe 99.9% of the time.

Dave.

I’m not assuming assuming anything Dave, if you check the schematic, the Cambridge 30 always has a small load across across the output, which is the potential divider circuit used to reduce the output to drive the line out socket, which is never switched out. Plus the TDA 2050 has ( supposedly) got every form of protection built in known to man! Not that stops them destroying themselves occasionally  :s
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630
    DJH83004 said:
    I’m not assuming assuming anything Dave, if you check the schematic, the Cambridge 30 always has a small load across across the output, which is the potential divider circuit used to reduce the output to drive the line out socket, which is never switched out. Plus the TDA 2050 has ( supposedly) got every form of protection built in known to man! Not that stops them destroying themselves occasionally  :s

My comment was a general one rather than specific to any amplifier. Yes 'chip amps' can be especially vulnerable because of the wee components, especially the Zobel network which is often the cause of the trouble.

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    There won't be any reason to crank it right up anyway, it won't sound any better like that and quite likely (possibly much) worse.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein