1962 vintage correct Strat

What's Hot
GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2349
edited March 2018 in Making & Modding tFB Trader

I can absolutely 100 percent guarantee this is NOT 1962 vintage correct.

I'll explain why.

First of all, there are three types of wood used in the 1962 Strat with a rosewood fingerboard. Look at the picture below and see if you can spot what is wrong with my one.

Not easily, so I'll explain, the three types of wood I’ve used are all wrong. This body is made from lightweight Swamp Ash, instead of American White Ash (also happens to be nearly 2 lb to light).

Indian Rosewood on the left and Rio on the right (my last one)

I've used plantation grown Indian Rosewood for the fingerboard instead of Brazilian Rosewood or Rio Rosewood. I've also used white shell (not quite mother-of-pearl)  dot inlays on the face of the fingerboard, and white plastic dots for side markers. The frets are also bit big to be a vintage. The nut is also about 1mm wider.

White Maple on the right, North Maple on the left (that's becoming more and more difficult to buy). Unfortunately the photo doesn't show how big the differences visually.

I've used Rock Maple for the neck, the only thing being most the Rock Maple being used now is nothing like the maple used by Fender in the sixties. What I've used comes from a more southern area of America. It grows in a much lower attitude in warmer climes. This does make a difference to how the wood looks. Unfortunately the photograph I've used doesn't really show up the difference as much as I was hoping. Basically, the new Maple is very white, the Maple Fender used was more a buff colour. It come from the northern states, or possibly Canada. Growing at a very high altitude. This meant that through the winter Maple trees were held at temperatures will below freezing point for months on end. This maple is considerably harder than what is being used at the present time by most manufacturers. It's most likely far cheaper to log Maple in the southern states at lower attitude. The whiter Maple is still hard.

There you have it, a 1962 lookalike Strat, built from all the wrong materials.

Having said that, in the right hands and using the right hardware this guitar can and should be as good as any custom shop guitar costing several thousand pounds.

A few more  photos.

Notice the smooth transition from the flat area, no sudden changes of direction.

I decided to put GSP  on my necks and bodies, a little more subtle than most.

The body weighs 3 lb 1oz, far too light for a vintage strat

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Stop it at once, You'll give me even more GAS  ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2349
    tFB Trader
    PS Forgot to say it would take off the shelf vintage correct hardware ( that's if there is such a thing).

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    People do get funny about the wood lol

I think a more modern compound radius say 7.25 up to 9.5 radius is an improvement over standard vintage ones, not sure what yours is 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    tFB Trader
    fab grain on that body

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    fab grain on that body
    I know dammit, argghhhhhhhhhh  ;)
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    Interesting stuff.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Must not look any more.... I don't need another Strat... I don't need another Strat.... I want another Strat :)
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Very good insight too.
  • Beautiful! Love that subtle branding.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My goodness, what an absolutely beautiful thing! Stunning work as usual.
  • NeilMcGNeilMcG Frets: 62
    That's nice.

Shame about the truss rod adjuster position, but I suppose a client that wants "vintage correct" wouldn't accept a sensible solution.
    tFB Trader
    NeilMcG said:
    That's nice.

Shame about the truss rod adjuster position, but I suppose a client that wants "vintage correct" wouldn't accept a sensible solution.
    Your kind of right, but about 70% of the Fender type necks I make have the truss rod adjuster body end. Not sure why, as I don't think it makes any difference to how the neck reacts with adjuster at the body end or headstock end, when adjusting the neck. It certainly a lot less trouble adjusting rod at the headstock.

There is no client for this body and neck I just felt like making it in between other jobs.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    The fixation with 1962 goes back to Fender choosing to use it as the designation for their vintage re-issue Stratocaster with rosewood fingerboard.

1962 was the year when Fender changed from the flat "slab" underside of the rosewood fingerboard and the rounded "laminated" version. In theory, the company could legitimately change between the two construction types without needing to alter the model name.

Other possibly significant details were the neck profile and the fret position marker inlay dot material.

The really big transition for 1963 was the relocation of the fastening screw along the top edge of the pickguard, between the neck and centre pickups. Boy, did that change how those old guitars performed.

;)

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    The fixation with 1962 goes back to Fender choosing to use it as the designation for their vintage re-issue Stratocaster with rosewood fingerboard.

1962 was the year when Fender changed from the flat "slab" underside of the rosewood fingerboard and the rounded "laminated" version. In theory, the company could legitimately change between the two construction types without needing to alter the model name.
    And 1957 was chosen for the maple-neck reissues because it's the classic year for American cars.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

Other possibly significant details were the neck profile and the fret position marker inlay dot material.

The really big transition for 1963 was the relocation of the fastening screw along the top edge of the pickguard, between the neck and centre pickups. Boy, did that change how those old guitars performed.

;)

ICBM said:

And 1957 was chosen for the maple-neck reissues because it's the classic year for American cars.
    Reading the above is why I don't get involved with trying to make vintage correct anything, not just Fenders but Les Paul's as well. Because no matter how accurate you think you've got it, somebody will always come up and find something wrong with it. I shall just carry on making my version of classic shapes at sensible prices. And of course with good after sales service, even though I don't always answer my emails as quick as I should. 

• WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    Same here.  I like old guitars and I kinda want to pay homage to them sometimes.  But I am far more interested in building a good guitar than a vintage accurate one.
    tFB Trader
    All I get asked for is accurate builds which is a shame as i think a modern twist on vintage stuff is what interests me more, I like the idea of mixing and matching fender and gibson stuff too

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    GSPBASSES said:

There is no client for this body and neck I just felt like making it in between other jobs.
    It’s a shame you made it for yourself, was thinking about another project ;)
    tFB Trader
    poopot said:
    GSPBASSES said:

It’s a shame you made it for yourself, was thinking about another project ;)
    I did not make it for me, I just had not made a Strat for some time, and was sorting through some swamp ash body blanks I come across this very light one, that was not suitable for the job I was about to do.  So I decided to turn into a Strat in between other jobs, although to be honest with you I got very distracting, spend half a day finishing it. I don't make anything myself any more. Although I have been thinking of building myself a Les Paul, or a Tele or a LPJ  DC, can't make up my mind.

edited March 2018 tFB Trader
    Dc junior would get my vote
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)