Clutch

What's Hot
AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 475
Just booked tickets for Clutch's UK Tour in December, anyone one seen them before? A friend introduced me to them a couple of years ago and I liked a couple of tracks, but recently I've had the latest 2 albums on Spotify constantly, I think they are great!

Can anyone recommend any of their earlier stuff? From what I understand they have been around for ages but are ever so slowly gaining in popularity, which makes for a lot of stuff I've never heard of before!

I sort of like the face that they seem like 3 normal blokes you might meet down the pub, part of their charm I suppose.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have seen them several times. 

They're excellent live- SO tight! Fallon is an excellent front man, he reminds me of an evangelical preacher with his mannerisms. 
    Be warned, you'll leave wanting an SG and Wah pedal! 

I particularly like Beale Street and Robot Hive, Elephant Riders is good too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    I saw them a few times at the Marquee in London about 25 years ago. Such a great groove to them.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    edited March 2018
    Love the newest album, older stuff not as hooky.
    There is a live concert on youtube where its pissing with rain and they keep rocking regardless, KOL they ain't haha.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12881
    Their first album - just called "Clutch" is great.

My favourites are:

Earth Rocker
    Psychic Warfare
    Clutch
    Pure Rock Fury

I've got tickets for the Glasgow show, looking forward to it. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited March 2018
    Blast Tyrant is my favourite album but I like them all.
    Robot Hive/Exodus is mighty too.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Their first album - just called "Clutch" is great.

Sorry to be a pedant, but Transnational Speedway League is the first album, the self-titled is the second.

They've never done a bad album, everything's worth checking out! 

My favourites are from their slightly more "arty" period, Blast Tyrant through to Strange Cousins from the West.  The last two albums, Earth Rocker and Psychic Warfare, are a bit more back-to-basics.  They've had good reviews and I get the impression they've probably revitalised the band's career a bit, but I don't like them as much as the mid-period stuff.

Slow Hole to China has some really good stuff on it, even though it's "only" a compilation of rare and previously unreleased tracks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks guys, will give the early stuff a go tonight with a few beers. Makes sense to start with the earliest one first so I'll go from there. Checked out a couple of proshot concerts on youtube, looks right up my street.
    Forgot about Blast Tyrant. That's great too. 
  • Beale Street was my introduction...then Blast Tyrant and Robot Hive...early stuff is a bit rougher...love the eponymous album now though ;)
    Another thing - they're one of the few bands whose lyrics are worth paying attention to.  Neil Fallon is a very smart and witty guy.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited March 2018
    Blast Tyrant is far and away my favourite of theirs. Pure Rocky Fury probably just after that, then Elephant Riders and self titled. Didn't get into the other albums quite so much but Earth Rocker is really good as well. The latest one is one of my least favourites, just doesn't do it for me like the others. And the guitar tone isn't as good.

You'll enjoy the gig, they're great live.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    I must be odd - I really like 75% of the last album, one or two songs off Earth Rocker and not a lot from their previous albums. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited March 2018
    Love this tune.
    Jean-Paul Gaster is such an incredible drummer.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited March 2018
    Great band, saw them live at Bristol 02 in 2012...their recent albums are very good. 
  • Well I've given the earlier stuff a go along with Blast Tyrant at the recommendation of you guys. I have to say I prefer the later stuff. I have yet to give Pure Rock Fury a go, which people seem to say is up there at the top.
    I've been trying to find a CD copy of The Elephant Riders but its extortionate everywhere because apparently its out of print. Grr!
    edited March 2018
    I've been trying to find a CD copy of The Elephant Riders but its extortionate everywhere because apparently its out of print. Grr!

I suppose because it was from their brief period on a major label.  I'm surprised Columbia haven't let them buy back the master tapes (or whatever happens in these circumstances).

For years I had a saved eBay search for the Japanese version with bonus tracks but it never came up.

• maraudermarauder Frets: 133
    Took me a couple of years to get it at a sensible price.
    think it was £12-15 delivered from usa.  Found it on discogs.
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited March 2018
    I love Clutch, superb band. I missed them last time round but I've got a ticket for Glasgow for December. It's going to end up being the day I finish for Christmas, so it'll be a superb way to start the holidays!  I'm going to the gig solo as none of my mates like Clutch, but I'm not caring.

I managed to get Elephant Riders on Discogs too, think it cost me about £15-18 from a guy in France... but it was worth it. They are one of the few bands where I've made a conscious effort to try and get hold of the the CDs I don't already have. I really like their style and the way they come across when interviewed is so down to Earth too.

Blast Tyrant is brilliant and the second CD with the acoustic stuff is awesome. Physic Warfare was the album that really got me into them properly (so that's recent) but that made me go back and listen to them again and I just loved all of it.

There are also some side projects, for the Clutch hoarders:

The Bakerton Group, which is basically Clutch playing instrumentals.

Fallon sings in The Company Band, who've released an album and a couple of EPs, all very good.

Sult also has a side band called Deep Swell and Gaster's done a few different things.