Speaker advice please!!

mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
edited March 2018 in Amps
Im looking for a 2x12 cab to go with a Top Hat Explexador 50watt 'plexi' style head. The amp produces that classic Marshall sound and I'm after a cab to complement that.

A Zilla 2x12 has come up for sale near me with celestion g12H 70th anniversary speakers in, 2x30watt speakers wired for 8ohms.

I don't really know anything about these speakers, are they any good? Would they be a good match for a classic Plexi style amp?

@ICBM any thoughts?

Thanks all!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72309
    Yes, that would be ideal. G12H-30s are the classic 'heavy magnet' version of the G12M-25 Greenback. They give a deeper, cleaner sound - more like Hendrix than Page, if that makes sense.

The 70th Anniversary version seems to sound a bit darker than the classic ones - I think the cone is doped a bit more heavily to give it a pseudo-"vintage" softer sound - but they break in and open up.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
    Brilliant, thanks @ICBM ;

And 2x30watt speakers at 8ohms would be ok for a 50 watt head? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72309

And 2x30watt speakers at 8ohms would be ok for a 50 watt head? 
    If they're Celestions, yes. The G12H-30 is unusually tough even for a Celestion too - Orange used a pair of them in their 80W combos in the 70s!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    The G12H anniversary and G12H Heritage speakers sound very different, the ones I have had anyway. The Heritage sounded more like the G12M anniversary - more woody.

I really like the anniversary ones for distorted tones and use them in a number of my cabs, they have a lot of punch but not huge amounts of sparkle, so I tend to pair them with something brighter.

Anyhow it is a good cab, if you don't like it 100% you can try and swap out one speaker at a time.
  • BowynMadleyBowynMadley Frets: 152
    Evm 12l. Best speaker on the planet in my opinion. Loud, will handle anything and will tell you exactly what your amp sounds like.  Down sides are weight and price though