New Judas Priest

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2602
in Music tFB Trader

Comments

• OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    New Judas Priest album sounds like Judas Priest. You only need to buy one Judas Priest album and you'll have them all. 

Not saying that's a bad thing, but, it does slightly deter me from wanting to spend $20 on buying an album that's basically the same as the last few, save for different lyrics.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    New Judas Priest album sounds like Judas Priest. You only need to buy one Judas Priest album and you'll have them all. 

Not saying that's a bad thing, but, it does slightly deter me from wanting to spend $20 on buying an album that's basically the same as the last few, save for different lyrics.
    I couldn't agree more. Metal by numbers.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    equalsql said:

I couldn't agree more. Metal by numbers.
    Sadly, the same can be said of the new Saxon album too - only his voice is deteriorating and you can hear it on the new album. Sounds like he had a sore throat recording the album. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    I've had several people tell me that this is a great album..... they are wrong.   

It's a bog standard heavy metal album.  It's ok - nothing more.   I'll stick with Screaming For Vengeance, Killing Machine and British Steel, thanks. 
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    it's pretty good, certainly better than the last few with Rob back. Agree it is fairly formulaic. Think the reason people are saying it's so great is the Andy Sneap production which does give it a bit more punch that it wouldn't have had otherwise. Painkiller is still my favourite by a mile.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Spot on. They made one good album and they've been remaking it ever since. Bloody good live though.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    In fairness though, JP did actually help invent metal so if what they do sounds much like what they always do then I get that from a group of older men with a loyal fan base.
    My personal favourite is Sad Wings Of Destiny - which has proggy elements in it and was ahead of the game when it was released (I imagine) in ‘76.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    You can't really blame a band for sounding like their signature sound; almost everybody does!

Sad Wings was good. I saw them on the Killing Machine tour and more recently on Nostradamus (which I like). I didn't care so much for their NWOBHM phase.

The drummer bloke is brilliant, Tipton is retired from touring due to Parkinsons, KK retired a while back, and Ian Hill is hilarious to watch - he just has one move, which he does, all gig long.

Andy Sneap production 
    There's the problem.  
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    I think you lot are confusing Judas Priest with Iron Maiden.

Rocka Rolla sounds nothing like Sad Wings of Destiny and Sad Wings of Destiny sounds nothing like Nostradamus.

Redeemer of Souls was great and much better than the recent attempts of Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden (and Van Halen).

It's time for Judas Priest to finish now that Glenn Tipton is ill, but they have been consistently excellent with Rob Halford.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 977
    edited March 2018
    New Judas Priest album sounds like Judas Priest. 
    And therein lies the problem......

Should this be in the music thread?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Schnozz said:
    I think you lot are confusing Judas Priest with Iron Maiden.

Rocka Rolla sounds nothing like Sad Wings of Destiny and Sad Wings of Destiny sounds nothing like Nostradamus.

Redeemer of Souls was great and much better than the recent attempts of Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden (and Van Halen).

It's time for Judas Priest to finish now that Glenn Tipton is ill, but they have been consistently excellent with Rob Halford.
    No... Iron Maiden are in a league of their own. Definitely not thinking of or confusing anything with Maiden. 
    RobDavies said:
    Andy Sneap production 
    There's the problem.  
    I started off liking the stuff he did but quickly realised every album sounded exactly the same.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Listening to it for the first time last night I thought there were lots of good songs, no particular stand out moments, only one chorus which made me cringe.... it's not really the throwback to the olden days they say every album is going to be, just the sound of seasoned professionals doing what they do and doing it well.

Now, maybe this is just me....

Like many recent(ish) albums by elder statesmen of heavy metal (Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Metallica) it's an hour - in some cases much more than an hour - of new music without a great deal of variation and I find myself getting bored, ot more accurately tired, before I even reach the end of the album.  On repeat listens, I get to know the first 7 or 8 tracks but I'm always nodding off during the last third.  I sometimes have to play the tracks in random order just to add an element of surprise.

Did it really need to be 14 tracks?  Trim it back to 12 or even 10, then maybe extend the intros or outros a little to let it breathe and make it more interesting.
    RobDavies said:
    Andy Sneap production 
    There's the problem.  
    I started off liking the stuff he did but quickly realised every album sounded exactly the same.
    Precisely. The Priest album sounds just like the last Accept and Overkill albums, but with a different singer. 
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    edited March 2018
    Extremely confused by this 'every JP album sounds the same' narrative. Utter nonsense if you ask me.

British Steel and Painkiller couldn't be any more different.
    RobDavies said:
    RobDavies said:
    Andy Sneap production 
    There's the problem.  
    Precisely. The Priest album sounds just like the last Accept and Overkill albums, but with a different singer. 
    actually really annoying, as I didn't realise myself (although I think I eventually would have done) - a mate pointed it out to me. After that I now notice it every single time...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    I don't think I've heard enough Andy Sneap productions to notice the similarities, although I have listened to all the recent Accept albums a few times.
    Alright so I had an issue with my phone and it caused me to lose all my iTunes purchases leaving me with nothing to listen to on the way home yesterday.

I ended up ducking into the shops and picking up a copy of Firepower. 

I've listened to it 3 times already.

I'm not sure if I like it because I haven't listened to Priest much since after Angel of Retribution in the early 00s, or because it's actually just a solid album...

Personally I'm finding that the 'deeper' cuts are the ones I like better... Necromancer, Children of the Sun, Lone Wolf, Traitor's Gate and Spectre in particular

Can't help singing along with the chorus of Flame Thrower though... same with Firepower and Lightning Strike, even though they're weaker songs than the deeper cuts. 

The singles really didn't sell the album. The album is in the later tracks.