Stereo rigs. 412 or double vertical 212?

What's Hot
rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2439
So thinking about going stereo with my rig. Will I hear a difference running a 412 in stereo or will I get a better/ bigger spread running 2 vertical 212s? 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1029
    For the 4x12 there will be little difference, depending on the effects you use, there might be some if you use ping pong delays or other panning effects.

Two 2x12's will definitely give you a much better spread, IMHO :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    It depends on whether the 4x12" has a full internal division or not. If it doesn't then the separation even for things like delays won't be as good as with two cabinets, and if your time-based effects are things which rely on out-of-phase components, then you will get some internal cancellation in the cabinet which will reduce the depth of the effect.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    For close proximity (ie: sitting 6ft directly in front), one stereo 4x12 would give a reasonable stereo effect, but two separate cabs would def be better. I use two 4x12s, but I can't imagine 2x12s would sound much different. Even 1x12s might not be a bad idea, depending on how much whomp you need.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I've looked at this for a long time and I can't get past wanting two 4 x 12's just for the sheer spread of sound and having 8 speakers going.

But then it's only one more short step to Wet/Dry/Wet...

I'd want my Series One 200 as the dry amp with its 4 channels and then I'd need two more 100w models (EL34's) either side in stereo coming out of my multi-FX in 2CM.

So that's three amps (Blackstar Series One), three oversized Series One 4 x 12's loaded with V30's and the compulsory partridge in a pear tree.

I can't afford a van and I'm not great with lifting heavy stuff.
    This is why I'm not there yet!
    lol.

For your set up I'd always want to have a cab either side, no matter how many speakers it has.
    Panning and ping-pong delay have never been so much fun.

Good luck with it mate.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

I like to run 2 2x12s live where possible. (In a 3 piece band so not competing with a second guitar)

one has 2 V30s the other 2 greenback-esq speakers.

For the dry sound I use for 90% of a set, I find it fills out the sound better than a 412. especially as you can angle them slightly inwards towards front of stage, getting rid of some of the directional effect of a single cab.

the other 10% has stereo reverb/delays bouncing between the cabs.

I give the sound engineer a choice of mono or stereo DI signal from helix. Not once have they chosen stereo.

so really the wet sound is for my own indulgence/ the first few rows of the venue. But filling out the dry sound makes it worthwhile in my eyes/ears/ego.

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited March 2018
    Back in my rack flirtation in the mid 1990's I had some Laney 2x12's with the speakers mounted diagonally. So they looked like mini 4 x 12's. Dunno if anyone makes that kind of thing now?
    It sounded great, but tbh, most gigs it was a struggle to fit them on stage.