F###ing band problems

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445

Drew_fx said:
    Maybe I'm just an asshole. I get pissed off when people in our band organise themselves holidays. =))
    And?!  Do you expect them to organise your holidays too? Selfish, @Drew-FX, very selfish.  >:D<
    Well to be fair... I go to the office... I QA music software. I write audio demos, presets. I test e-kits when we get them. I use our in-house studio at times. I play with synths. I eat lunch. I go home. I pick up my acoustic. Or my electric. I record some riffs. Sometimes an entire song. I'll do that up until about 11 o'clock. Then I'll sit in bed with a laptop and watch some crap on Netflix.

Now of course it isn't every single night. I do go out on the lash quite a bit, have drinks or food with friends. Take the wife out for a meal, go to museums, go on holidays or business trips. But I'd say at least three nights a week (not including band practices) I will dedicate the entire evening to writing and recording music.

I also don't sleep too well, so I often will wake up around 4am-ish and end up doodling away with headphones on, cocking about with Korg Gadget on my iPad or whatever.

I guess I have a hard time understanding why anyone who professes to be a musician doesn't spend every waking hour of their life involved in it somehow. But hey... this is my crutch of irrationality. I know it doesn't make sense, and that it's slightly ignorant, ill-willed, and not very empathic... but it is what it is.

Regarding the covers band versus originals... what I was trying to get at is that even in an originals band, one or two people will dominate the songwriting aspects of things. The rest of the guys will often just be learning parts, like they do in a cover band situation. I know there ARE differences, but I don't think they're so foreign to each other as you'd assume.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh, and I think good guitarists are as rare as good singers and good drummers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I feel Close2u's pain, I walked away from my last covers band after our hogmanay gig after almost a year. In that space we played 1 gig, 1 showcase and just about scraped together 2x45 minute sets. Three months later they've a new drummer, a piano player in my place, no website, no twitter presence, their image is a shambles and they're still claiming to be one of the best on the circuit!

I agree with Drew regarding originals, it's the songs/songwriters that keep them going. Having joined/jammed/quit several bands with guys that had two songs and that one riff, unless the songs/ideas keep coming, it gets boring very quickly.

I'm in a Police tribute now and that's feeling a lot more like my speed - a nice balance between musically complex and crowd pleasing, great guitar parts, uncomplicated line-up, the other two guys are a bit older so aren't going to fanny about and no-one is going to ask me to play Brown Eyed Girl!

"As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Drew_fx said:

Well to be fair... I go to the office... I QA music software. I write audio demos, presets. I test e-kits when we get them. I use our in-house studio at times. I play with synths. I eat lunch. I go home. I pick up my acoustic. Or my electric. I record some riffs. Sometimes an entire song. I'll do that up until about 11 o'clock. Then I'll sit in bed with a laptop and watch some crap on Netflix.

he goes to the office, he QAs music software, he writes audio demos ... he eats his lunch, he goes to the lavatory

On wednesdays he goes shopping, has buttered scones for tea
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_fx said:

Drew_fx said:
    Maybe I'm just an asshole. I get pissed off when people in our band organise themselves holidays. =))
    And?!  Do you expect them to organise your holidays too? Selfish, @Drew-FX, very selfish.  >:D<

Now of course it isn't every single night. I do go out on the lash quite a bit, have drinks or food with friends. Take the wife out for a meal, go to museums, go on holidays or business trips. But I'd say at least three nights a week (not including band practices) I will dedicate the entire evening to writing and recording music.

I also don't sleep too well, so I often will wake up around 4am-ish and end up doodling away with headphones on, cocking about with Korg Gadget on my iPad or whatever.

I guess I have a hard time understanding why anyone who professes to be a musician doesn't spend every waking hour of their life involved in it somehow. But hey... this is my crutch of irrationality. I know it doesn't make sense, and that it's slightly ignorant, ill-willed, and not very empathic... but it is what it is.

Regarding the covers band versus originals... what I was trying to get at is that even in an originals band, one or two people will dominate the songwriting aspects of things. The rest of the guys will often just be learning parts, like they do in a cover band situation. I know there ARE differences, but I don't think they're so foreign to each other as you'd assume.

I'm not sure who you're arguing with here but on the off chance it is me -

I think you're possibly assuming things taking time = people being lazy.  I just don't think that is always the case.  Unless you get lucky there just ends up being bumps in the road, or perhaps I'm just quite unlucky with it.  I just don't consider 7 months out of the ordinary but only due to my personal experience of external factors.

I'm not going to whip out my 'I put more hours in than you' musical penis but I think we're on the same wavelength as far as commitment goes. :))
    edited March 2014
    Awwwww.. perfect op for a "staff" double entendre.

Just making the point really that I think the diffrentiating factor between bands is committment, rather than writing originals versus doing covers.

I've met a looooooooooot of musicians who just lack the commitment and are a complete waste of time.
    Drew_fx said:

he goes to the office, he QAs music software, he writes audio demos ... he eats his lunch, he goes to the lavatory

I DON'T FUCKING LIKE SCONES!!

(Actually I do)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_fx said:
    Awwwww.. perfect op for a "staff" double entendre.

Just making the point really that I think the diffrentiating factor between bands is committment, rather than writing originals versus doing covers.

I've met a looooooooooot of musicians who just lack the commitment and are a complete waste of time.

Yep commitment is what it comes down to, no argument there.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Drew_fx;190204" said:
    Phil_aka_Pip said:

Drew_fx said:

I DON'T FUCKING LIKE SCONES!!

(Actually I do)
    Ah but is it jam first or cream first?

The two types of bands are similar but over the years for me originals bands have been way more time and preparedness heavy than covers bands. Slightly differing nature of the two beasts in my experience.

You are right about commitment but again my experience of that was similar in both types of band and I don't think being in an originals band necessarily makes people work harder and put more in.

BTW your music regimen leaves little room for sexy times and wanking (maybe the same thing in some cases), all work and no wank makes Drew a grumpy bugger.

:D
    Ahhhhh, I get mine.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    I bet you do with a fine looking lady like your good lady.

But you are supposed to put the guitar down dude or risk it getting broken during vigorous sex. Multitasking is a myth.
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    I gave up trying to be in a band a few years back. I had young kids and most people I tried to jam with had their own priorities which made it difficult to get productive rehearsal time together.
    In recent years I found time to play solo gigs and my kids are now of an age where getting into a band is a possibility.
    I did do a gig with a makeshift covers band a couple of years back and we only every had one rehearsal with the complete band. I think we did good renditions of the songs, so I'd agree that a covers band doesn't need to practise too much.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24204
    Drew_fx said:
    Oh, and I think good guitarists are as rare as good singers and good drummers.

Agree completely.

There are more mediocre guitarists than drummers / singers / bassists, but the good ones are just as hard to find as the other players.
    johnnyurq said:
    I bet you do with a fine looking lady like your good lady.

But you are supposed to put the guitar down dude or risk it getting broken during vigorous sex. Multitasking is a myth.
    I'm on my 56th acoustic!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited March 2014
    Where are you guys looking out of curiosity?

I used to think the same but when we started scouting for people at open mic nights (at the suggestion of someone on here) and going to more local gigs last year I discovered that there are plenty of good musicians - what it comes down to often is:

- they're a standout musician in a mediocre band (either the music isn't good enough or other members let them down)

or (at open mic nights)

- they're a solo performer with talent/a good voice but without the writing ability to back it up with the kind of songs that warrant multiple listens

In situation 1 the person is usually undervaluing themselves and in situation 2 they're over estimating their abilities - at least IMO.  Or maybe they also have poor luck with meeting other people.

I really don't think being 'good' technically is that rare, assuming the bar isn't unreasonably high (i.e. virtuoso level).  Actually creating something good musically is totally different though so it depends on what the definition is.  I'm of course also not including the commitment factor here because you can't really judge that until you work with someone.

I should add though that almost my entire friendship group is involved in performing arts in some shape or form so I probably do meet a disproportionate number of musicians.
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    edited March 2014

Wow - I am not alone ... :)

Someone asked what happened ...

It ties in with this ... http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/3272/soul-r-b-motown-funk-get-their-feet-moving-and-bodies-grooving-set-list-suggestions-wanted

and this ... http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/9001/so-in-a-cover-band-situation-how-do-you-deal-with

and this ... http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/11640/here-s-a-set-list-what-do-you-reckon-how-best-to-order-the-songs

Failure to secure the services of a keyboard player meant a change of tack to become a guitar / drums / bass / vocals band to play pubs / clubs.

There were some changes to the set list etc but not brought about by the member who got the band started. Even though all said they liked the new stuff and wanted to follow this path to actually get out and gig, not every one committed to do their homework, to learn their parts etc. And, some resentment was obviously set-in and it brought about some snide comments and poor behaviour (which in turn led to some worse behaviour which led to much upset, a big talk and now the inevitable implosion.

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    I gave up trying to be in a band a few years back. I had young kids and most people I tried to jam with had their own priorities which made it difficult to get productive rehearsal time together.
    Very true; that's called Being An Adult.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."

Lixarto said:
    Very true; that's called Being An Adult.
    So by extension, anyone who finds - scrimping and saving - the time to do regular rehearsals isn't an adult?
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 912
    Drew_fx;190244" said:
    Ahhhhh, I get mine.
    I bet you don't get as much as @guitarfishbay - he's got a musical penis!!
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    I think everybodys idea of what commitment means is different based on their personal circumstances.

For example if your single , have no kids , run your own business then you can dedicate all your freetime to the band.
    If your band mate has two young kids and works shifts then just turning up to band practice once a week shows real commitment. 
    Inevitably one day his kids will be sick or he will have to work late and miss a rehearsal or gig. He will then be accused of not showing any commitment even though in reality he is making more effort than anyone else. This will ultimately.
     lead to the demise of the band. 

IMO its not question of finding people who are committed you just need to find band mates with similar personal circumstances and the same goals for the band.If you can only gig once a month then find band mates that also want to gig once a month,

Hope that makes sense

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom