NrAD! - Groove Tubes

Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3015
edited March 2014 in Amps
New restored amp day! Yay.

Well it's not exactly new, I bought a broken Groove Tubes STPG amp from eBay a couple of years ago for next to nothing. Through a lack of time, money and quite frankly any sort of urgency it's taken rather a long time to get fixed!

It needed a new PT and after speaking to Mercury Magnetics and having a heart attack at the cost of a replacement (the original was a MM) I finally got one from Tube Amp Doctor for a third of the cost. Good service from them BTW.

So it's all up and running and sounding rather splendid. It's basically a Fender Deluxe circuit with some bits added on, like a speaker emulator, extra gain stage and mid boost section.

I'm going to build a head shell for it and use it with the 1x12 cab I'm building.

Oh and inside the chassis is Aspen Pitman's signature and build date, which happens to be my birthday.

Sitting on my boogie (with most of the knobs now located !)

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb102/flanging_fred/Music/my amps/619A4D3E-E912-4AE5-BD4F-F85364FCB1F2_zpsq7udxwbp.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Sounds cool! If I were you, and feeling flush, I would get Zilla cabs or someone like that to make me an Orange-style head cab to put it into...
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    I had one of those.
    IIRC the clean sound isn't terrible.
  • octatonic;189995" said:
    I had one of those.IIRC the clean sound isn't terrible.
    That sounds like 'damned by faint praise' to me. From what I've heard so far it's really nice. I've not had a 6V6 based amp though and I'm certainly in honeymoon mode ATM!

@EdGrip I'm intending to build my own head for it as time allows. It might be worth seeing how much Zilla would charge to make one though. It could actually be cheaper than doing it myself...
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    They don't advertise it on their site, but they do replica/replacement cabs too.