Volume lift / boost pedals

What's Hot
JackieB33JackieB33 Frets: 190
edited March 2018 in FX
Anyone got any good recommendations on volume lift pedals. 

I’m talking in terms of something that’s almost fully transparent. Something that just takes your signal as it is, and just makes it louder. 
Like a single stomp, with pre-set level. 

Ive tried the likes of the MXR micro amp, TC spark etc.. and volume (expression type) pedals placed after dirt. 

Just wondering if there are any other decent methods kicking about, with minimal added gain etc

Thanks for your help. 
''i've not seen a reaction like that in here since George Best got kicked out for glassing a bouncer''
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72211
    Use a volume *cut* box. Set the bypass to the 'boost' level and the cut to the 'non-boost' level. 100% transparent and doesn't even need a battery, unless you want an LED to tell you it's on (or off!).

Award-Session used to make one, I'm not sure if they still do, but it's a very easy thing to have made if you can't find one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    edited March 2018
    EHX LPB1 will do a boost or a cut. I like it for leads but it goes all weird and compressed for chords if it's in front of the amp, guess it just overloads the front end. Great in the fx loop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    Also worth mentioning that placement in the signal chain makes a difference. When I put a boost before the input on my amp I get lots of added gain but very little extra volume. The same boost in the effects loop gives me lots more volume and little or no extra gain.

If your amp doesn't have an effects loop, ICBM's idea sounds simple and effective, although if you're getting your overdrive from the amp, feeding it a reduced level of signal from the guitar may well give you a cleaner sound as well as a quieter one.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8679
    JackieB33 said:

... something that’s almost fully transparent. 

EQ pedal with a mid range hump. It helps you punch through a mix better than a flat volume lift does.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1257
    +1 for the EHX LBP (and wis duly awarded).

It’s cheap, it’s simple, and it works...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • JackieB33JackieB33 Frets: 190
    Cheers for the responses chaps.

After all that, i ended up just pulling the trigger on a Keeley Katana.  =)

Wanted to try one for ages.. got the older version with the voltage doubler. 

They had me at:
    ''Want a mirror image of your tone, only louder? This is it. ''  

See how that goes. 

Thanks again! 
    ''i've not seen a reaction like that in here since George Best got kicked out for glassing a bouncer''
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom