Used car extended warranty - yes or no?

What's Hot

I'm trading my Skoda (had a sore back ever since I've had it) for a 65 plate Focus.

Been quoted £385 or so for 2-year extended warranty.

I know there was a recall as pre-2015 builds had coolant pipe leaks resulting in total engine failure, and I still read that the problem has now shifted elsewhere.. I'm thinking it might be peace of mind but it's not a small sum. Would you go for it?

For sure, it was worth it on the SKODA as it was in the garage several times (lambda sensor replacement).

Thoughts?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414

After our previous Citroen, I took out an extended warranty when we bought our Toyota.  That turned out to be a complete waste of money.  3 and half years later and we have only had to do routine stuff (servicing/MOT/tyres) on it.

What I did notice, with the benefit of hindsight, is that there were a lot of exclusions in the small print.  It would have covered us if the engine blew up, but there were several things that weren't covered.

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I wouldn’t bother with it. As crunchman says, the list of exclusions is eye watering.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    The trade considers them a method of enhancing profit on the car sale. The commission is quite a high percentage of the cost to the sales(wo)man. Are you sure you feel comfortable buying this piece of paper?

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    You're not actually buying a warranty, you're buying an insurance policy which is sold as a warranty
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    I've got a great local garage, it's just incase this engine failure disaster happens to the car (there's a big Facebook group on it but my model should be ok... should!!).
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    strtdv said:
    You're not actually buying a warranty, you're buying an insurance policy which is sold as a warranty
    ... and we all know that buying an insurance policy is like having a bet with the insurance company that something bad will happen. They won't insure you against anything that's likely, they'll only insure you against something that in their opinion isn't likely to happen. Hence all their exclusions, whereinafter's and if-buts. If you lose the bet you lose your stake. If you're unlucky enough to "win", they'll do their level best to weasel out of paying you, and you can be sure they won't cover the cost of your losses. The phrase "not worth the paper it's written on" comes to mind.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 531
    I wouldn't dismiss the idea without checking the small print . I had a 62 plate Focus that had a lambda sensor failure 2 months after the 3 year manufactures warranty ended. Ford didn't want to know and it cost me over £2k to put right. A £385 extended warranty would have been a bargain.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    If it’s a 65 plate then it will be a 2016 model year car and won’t have the pre-15 recall issues. 

It should have had had an end of warranty check done - ask to see it as it will tell you of any gremlins they had to fix. 

Is it a Ford dealership or a private garage? If dealership they should give you 6/12 months on stuff like engines anyway. 

Dealership...

How could a lambda sensor cost £2k @bobblehat?? Are you sure about that?

Dealership...

How could a lambda sensor cost £2k @bobblehat?? Are you sure about that?

In that case, get them to show you all service history, warranty checks etc. and see what their standard warranty covers 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Have e-mailed the guy asking this, thanks !

Have e-mailed the guy asking this, thanks !

You doing cash or finance?
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Our BMW warranty has been worth it’s weight in gold.
  • a friend of mine use to deal with the claims on these warranties. he said they wern't worth the paper they're written on. full of fine exclusions for 99% of the time. the dealers buy them for about £50 and sell them to the punter for £2/300 .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    No. The one I had on my old Renault actually ended up costing me money, because there was a minor fault under warranty and the warranty company's 'approved' repairers were cowboys who bodged it, but the consequences didn't re-appear until it was then out of warranty, and the result was not so minor.

The car I just bought, the dealer actually advised me *not* to take one out, even though he did sell them if the customer really wanted. He said they were worthless or worse, and that was before I told him about my experience...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    A lot depends on who the warranty is with, if it's the one Quentin Wilson advertises, it's not worth the paper it's written on, if it's with the manufacturer, it can be worthwhile. 
    @Bridgehouse - cash (not too much as getting trade in for Skoda)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Having been offered one last year I did think to actually read through it. Maximum pay out, maximum number of uses, inspection costs payable by me, various exclusions. It would have needed a very specific set of circumstances for it to have paid off. Stick £385 in the building society. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    Don't you mean "spend £385 on a guitar"?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    @Bridgehouse - cash (not too much as getting trade in for Skoda)
    If it will stretch then do it on your credit card and pay it back before the month is out - you get a lot of extra protection.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom