Correct pot for Strat bass cut?

I'm rewiring a Strat to use a master tone setup. I will use the spare tone knob for a Reverend and G&L-style bass-cut, and add a push-push to the middle knob (tone) to switch in the bridge pickup for Tele-style neck+bridge. 

I've read that I should use a 1Meg audio/log pot for the bass cut, and that it should be a left-handed pot. Do I really need a lefty pot? Or will a regular 1 Meg log do the trick?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    Yes it has to be lefty, a rh log taper will do all the change at one end of its travel.
  • Ok, so it’s a reverse-log, not just a regular log that turns in the other directions? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    You can use a standard Log if you simply have the direction of turn the other way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    I suppose you would wire it backwards but that might be counter-intuitive in use.
  • I suppose you would wire it backwards but that might be counter-intuitive in use.
    I’d rather do it the right way. Any idea where I can get one? Thomann— my usual choice — only has regular ones. 
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 197
    Presuming you're in the UK, Axesrus have the medium-shaft Alpha pots in a 1M reverse log.  I used one for a bass cut in my 335 copy. 
  • MartinB said:
    Presuming you're in the UK, Axesrus have the medium-shaft Alpha pots in a 1M reverse log.  I used one for a bass cut in my 335 copy. 
    Germany, but that’s no problem really. I’m sure I can find some extras to make up the order. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    edited March 2018
    I suppose you would wire it backwards but that might be counter-intuitive in use.
    I actually find the opposite - it’s more intuitive to have ‘bright’ in the same direction on both knobs.

It may just be me though...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MartinBMartinB Frets: 197
    ICBM said:
    I actually find the opposite - it’s more intuitive to have ‘bright’ in the same direction on both knobs.

It may just be me though...

I use mine to clean up the amp/pedals instead of rolling off the volume, so it feels more intuitive to me if full bass is at 10.