Conventional Stratocaster with Scratchplate - one or two piece body?

What's Hot
With a scratch plate (which covers a large portion of the front of a Strat), I find myself wondering:

Is there any real value in having a one-piece body?  Is it just cosmesis - or are there any other advantages?

Expert opinions most appreciated…
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Is this for a transparent finish?
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 814
    Sunburst...
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    It makes very little difference
  • I find that sometimes the joins are horrible, and with a sunburst they really stick out. It bothers me, but a lot of owners don't seem that worried as i see a lot like that on this very forum.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    In theory a one-piece body resonates better. In practice it's either a negligible difference or none at all.

Bear in mind that all the great-sounding vintage Fenders are two or three piece, or sometimes four by the 1960s. I could be wrong but I don't think Fender ever used a one-piece body on any production guitar. In the 50s they deliberately matched the grain, usually quite well - one of the reasons for the sunburst finish was that it hid the more obvious endgrain joins on the sides. They charged more for the blonde finish because the wood had to be picked more carefully, and even then they were usually slightly more opaque on the sides.

By the 1970s they'd stopped bothering! Coupled with the clear natural finishes, that's when you start to see the totally mismatching ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Also, a one piece body is more prone to warping.  A nice 2-pice centre join looks great and is stable too, as has been said a badly matched 3-piece with a transparent finish looks a bit rubbish.  There's an article somewhere of someone stripping a 1950's les paul gold top and the top was 5 pieces, still sounded great
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    edited March 2018
    Many Fender bodies were two-piece with the join running on a line from the middle of the cutaway, under the pickguard and under the recessed jack socket plate. This would go a long way to disguising the join when viewed from the front.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom