Gibson Goldtone

What's Hot
DominicDominic Frets: 16079
Superb amps imo
Anybody have/had one .......?
what say you?
Anybody selling one ?Buying one ?or interesting stories/experience with them in their various models
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72228
    They sound great, but are very badly designed and were massively overpriced when new.

The very earliest ones were essentially just rebadged Trace Elliots and shared the collapsing chassis, melting valve sockets and randomly failing transformers of those. Gibson then beefed up the build quality and made them at least less unreliable, but increased the price even more... and they still eat valves at a remarkable rate.

It's also fun trying to adjust the controls at a gig if it's on the floor, let alone if it's on a tilted stand. There is a reason everyone stopped making amps like this in the 1940s.

But they do sound great!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Didn’t you sell me yours Dominic?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16079
    yes....I'm subtly trying to find another.......love the things......If you change your mind at any time please let me know@Cabicular
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4679

I had the 15 watt 1x12 version.   Nice looking amp and sounded good.   But I had a lot of problems with it.  Like ICBM said the valve bases melted and it went back about 5 times due to random noises.   Pity, because I liked it.

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I don’t really use it these days so We could have a conversation.
    it hasn’t been on for a while so I would need to get ICBM to have a look over it and give it a service etc