On a Britpop trip...

What's Hot
NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
My secondary school years were during the mid to late 90s, when Britpop was in full swing. At the time I wasn’t really fussed on Blur and Oasis but I remember liking some of the other bands from the era; Cast, Shed Seven, Seahorses, Verve, Dodgy etc.

I’ve always been a rocker first and foremost but recently I’ve gone back and listened to some of the above, particularly Cast and Shed Seven - some great, learnable songs with enough guitar to keep me interested. 

My approach to Oasis and Blur has softened a bit over the years but considering for a while it was all about the those two, with the exception of one or two songs, I’m still not that interested in either band.

Anybody else rediscovered any Britpop bands lately?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7110
    I've played a lot of the later Blur stuff in the car recently , Graham Coxon really is the mutts nuts
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I go through phases of re-listening to old CDs, usually with some sort of theme. Funnily enough - last week I dug out Sleeper, Elastica, Pulp and Super Furry Animals. And Ash - which I always thought were more punky rock than Britpop anyway. Every UK band with a guitar from that era was called Britpop though, weren’t they!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    I like a lot of Britpop, one of the bands I'm in does a lot of it, stuff from Supergrass, Shed 7, Oasis, Ocean Colour scene etc. After the late eighties and early nineties acid dance shit Britpop was a breath of fresh air. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cpcompanycpcompany Frets: 126
    Listened to Supergrass for the first time in years the other day. Forgot how much I like their first two albums. Seen them live twice and thought they were hopeless though.
  • I was a britpop kid - there was ALOT of sh*te - but also some good stuff. 

The first Bluetones album 'expecting to fly' is really good - a tight band with some melodic songs and some very good guitar playing. 

The Super Furry Animals are hamstrung by their association with britpop - there back catalogue is brilliant - I honestly believe Gruff Rhys is a world class song writer - Lovekraft is a great album, but Radiator is brilliant. 

The first Supergrass is also a good listen in my book. 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3186
    Same era myself, remember seeing Blur in 1999 despite being more a fan of Oasis/Verve  but recall being really impressed by Coxon’s playing -it made me rethink a lot of my own style.
    Suede have always been a another firm favourite as have OCS who I still hold are one of the most underrated UK bands of the last twenty years. Simon’s voice is fantastic and their early work was just so strong in hindsight when compared to a lot of their peers. 
  • Same era myself, remember seeing Blur in 1999 despite being more a fan of Oasis/Verve  but recall being really impressed by Coxon’s playing -it made me rethink a lot of my own style.
    Suede have always been a another firm favourite as have OCS who I still hold are one of the most underrated UK bands of the last twenty years. Simon’s voice is fantastic and their early work was just so strong in hindsight when compared to a lot of their peers. 
    Yeah - good shout that - Coxon's playing is really unique, melodic and always in support of the song. 

The Verve are a great band two - McCabe is a really distinctive guitar player. 

I was a huge OCS fan as a 15 year old and saw them in the local music venue before they broke big - very accomplished musicians and a tight band - bit meat and potatoes though.....
    edited March 2018
    Same era myself, remember seeing Blur in 1999 despite being more a fan of Oasis/Verve  but recall being really impressed by Coxon’s playing -it made me rethink a lot of my own style.
    Yeah - good shout that - Coxon's playing is really unique, melodic and always in support of the song. 

I was a huge OCS fan as a 15 year old and saw them in the local music venue before they broke big - very accomplished musicians and a tight band - bit meat and potatoes though.....
    Good call. However in that vein...think of OCS as a good roast dinner, you love a roast dinner, it’s not haute cuisine but it’s damn satisfying. Listen to Mosley Shoals and Marching Already and then revisit Shed7, The Bluetones and Ash -who were all great bands, don’t get me wrong, but no roast dinner!
  • Same era myself, remember seeing Blur in 1999 despite being more a fan of Oasis/Verve  but recall being really impressed by Coxon’s playing -it made me rethink a lot of my own style.

Good call. However in that vein...think of OCS as a good roast dinner, you love a roast dinner, it’s not haute cuisine but it’s damn satisfying. Listen to Mosley Shoals and Marching Already and then revisit Shed7, The Bluetones and Ash -who were all great bands, don’t get me wrong, but no roast dinner!
    No no mate - I am with you - I enjoy the roast for what it is...... and its a quality roast with OCS. 

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread I am a big fan of the Bluetones first record - evidently the guitar player is a fan of John Squire but its a fine record - underrated IMO
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Was this song the beginning of Britpop?

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    Bluetones were very good, saw blur the week modern life is rubbish came out in portsmouth, they were very good live, saw them at the Milton Keynes bowl supporting REM years later and didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much.  My brother is in the video for the Drowners as he was in the Suede fan club!  Marion were good, Bennett, never really loved OCS. Elastica were okay Sleeper, Echobelly I've seen a couple of times.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2545
    Mansun's Attack Of The Grey Lantern was a great album. Still listen to it from time to time.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Listen to blur & oasis once in a while, but the one I seem to go back to most is OCS.
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Good shouts on OCS - some fine tunes they had, saw them supporting the Phonics in 2003. 

Also yeah - Britpop tends to be used to cover a fair range of bands. That also aren’t necessarily pop...
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    They didn't really fit in with the other Britpop bands but I listened to the first Gomez album for the first time since the early 2000s the other week. Huge waves of nostalgia hit me like a ton of bricks. Awesome record.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    Dopesick said:
    They didn't really fit in with the other Britpop bands but I listened to the first Gomez album for the first time since the early 2000s the other week. Huge waves of nostalgia hit me like a ton of bricks. Awesome record.
    Watched them live in Portsmouth too, one of the best bands musicianship wise I've ever seen, they all pretty much player every instrument at some point.
    Gomez, awesome call as were Mansun. It was a great time for guitar bands.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3964
    Quite like a bit of Kula Shaker.  Some good guitar playing on The Seahorses album.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11745
    edited March 2018
    Britpop - or really late 90s indie rock - is still musical home base for me.  All the bands mentioned above really are ones I still love.

For me, the overwhelming characteristic of bands at the time, especially Suede, Pulp and Blur, was to take everyday life and make it sound romantic and exciting, as if being cynical about the world actually added to it's brilliance.

I'm not sure if I've ever based my like or dislike of any band or music on how good the guitar playing is.  Noel G gets bashed all the time, for simple chord progressions and pentatonics, but nothing wrong with either if it can do this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J1zFxRqdx0

My idols from the era are probably Bernard Butler, Graham Coxon, Jonny Greenwood and James Dean Bradfield, would kill to have their chops!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7754

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister