On a Britpop trip...

What's Hot

Comments

• Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    Why has nobody mentioned the Longpigs yet?
    (apologies if I just missed it)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2324

Unrelated to the Britpop really, but the UK/USA indie/post-punk kinda revival in the 2000s was great - early Razorlight, Libertines, Strokes, Interpol (THE BEST BAND IN YEARS!), Libertines, Franz Ferdinand, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Bloc Party.

That was another good time for guitar bands.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11745

Basically, anything Suede, Sleeper, Blur, Oasis, Shed Seven, OCS, Elastica, Bluetones and so on....I still love it.

Recent albums by Suede/Blur/Shed Seven are very strong.

A fantastic time for music.

We would get on @Musicman20 I couldn't agree with you more :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1209
    edited March 2018
    My son had to do a review of a Britpop song in his music lesson at school recently and I suggested King of the Kerb by Echobelly. I saw them at the Forum (T&C) when their LP On was out and they rocked. I can't remember his name but their lead guitarist was great. They also had Debbie Smith from Curve playing with them at that time. Not really Britpop but Curve were my favourite band of that era. BTW didn't SMASH and These Animal Men fall within New Wave of New Wave? OCS used to get tarred with the Dad Rock brush on account of their association with Paul Weller. Good band nonetheless.
    Link to my trading feedback
    I loved Britpop so much I probably bought about 20 "landfill indie" albums in the late noughties hoping that it would develop into something half as good.

For a lot of them, the 20p I got from Music Magpie seemed pretty generous!
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2324

Basically, anything Suede, Sleeper, Blur, Oasis, Shed Seven, OCS, Elastica, Bluetones and so on....I still love it.

A fellow 1981'er as well I assume!
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Alnico said:
    If you use Spotify, HERE'S the start of a playlist...
    Nice work.  Just about to start on some tedious crap in the office.  Should be much more bearable now I've whacked this on! 
    If you click 'follow' it'll update at your end and automatically add more songs as I add more.
    That was just an initial look back, as I get more time I'll get more stuck into more bands and more songs so it'll likely get a lot bigger.
     @Dave_Vader
    Definitely 'Longpigs', I don't know how I didn't think of them.

I am aware that there may be some songs from the very late 80's and some from the very early 2000's but it all fits with each other and I don't really care that it's not all perfectly 90's.
    edited March 2018
    Alnico said:
    I am aware that there may be some songs from the very late 80's and some from the very early 2000's but it all fits with each other and I don't really care that it's not all perfectly 90's.

FWIW - I'd say really that although it doesn't tie in totally with Britpop, there was a British alternative guitar music tree that includes and is irrevocably seperated from Britpop running from The Smiths, through the Stone Roses and Happy Mondays (though musically I think the Mondays were mediocre, YMMV, but they had a huge impact) and smacking down with Suede for the mid-nineties Britpop era.

It died a death after a very brief point in the early 2000s where the Libertines and Arctic Monkeys and Franz Ferdinand, Kasabian etc. brought the spirit back for a little while, without quite the same impact.

It had another try in the late noughties with "landfill indie" (Hi Kaiser Chiefs, Pigeon Detectives, The Enemy, The Twang) which produced little memorable music, again IMHO, YMMV.

After that the top 40 said it would rather not have any more alternative guitar bands thanks very much.

TL DR - your playlist is fine, I'm listening to it now
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
    I was just about to...

The Sun Is Often Out is pretty much the only Britpop era album I can still listen to. So much Britpop seemed exciting at the time but now sounds really dated and derivative in retrospect.

Come to think of it I have a lot of time for The Auteurs as well, though I think the best thing Luke Haines ever did was the Baader Meinhof album which came a bit later.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    I think they turned up in a video someone posted.

The Sun Is Often Out is bloody marvellous- Richard Hawley's guitar playing in particular was inspiring to me as a teenager.

But their second album is terrible.

Crispin Hunt is now a songwriting collaborator to the stars. Richard Hawley went on to become Richard Hawley.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308
    My son had to do a review of a Britpop song in his music lesson at school recently and I suggested King of the Kerb by Echobelly. I saw them at the Forum (T&C) when their LP On was out and they rocked. I can't remember his name but their lead guitarist was great. They also had Debbie Smith from Curve playing with them at that time. Not really Britpop but Curve were my favourite band of that era. BTW didn't SMASH and These Animal Men fall within New Wave of New Wave? OCS used to get tarred with the Dad Rock brush on account of their association with Paul Weller. Good band nonetheless.

I can remember seeing Echobelly at the Venue in New Cross. Good gig, but what a really shit, dingy venue.

Yeah S*M*A*S*H and These Animal Men did fall into New Wave of New Wave but they were around in the right era so I thought I'd include them in my list.

I can remember hearing the OCS album Moseley Shoals and it being right up my street. I spent my teenage years wandering around dressed like a mod so I felt a bit of association with them. I went out and bought their first album which was a late 80s Manchester baggy rip off. It was totally different. I didn't really buy anything else by them, but loved 100 Mile High City.

By the end of the 90s I'd lost interest in guitar and the bands and I started DJing.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

CHRISB50 said:

By the end of the 90s I'd lost interest in guitar and the bands and I started DJing.

Same. Mainstream rock music really took a nosedive in the late 90s as Britpop tailed off and lots of shitty American bands arrived on the scene. I wasn't sure I was ever going to hear new guitar music I liked, melancholic, melodramatic 19 year old that I was.

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7753

I didn't mention them by name, but did include them in my bulk posting of youtube videos :)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    Richard Hawley went on to become Richard Hawley.
    An unexpected direction for him ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Considering the ragged mad-bastard guitar on the Longpigs album, coming out as a 50s crooner was pretty unexpected.

Considering the ragged mad-bastard guitar on the Longpigs album, coming out as a 50s crooner was pretty unexpected.
    It must be and odd and fun experience to change direction radically like that.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    For me it was always, and still is, Pulp. I saw them in Glastonbury in 1995, replacing the Stone Roses but absolutely stealing the whole weekend.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    Stuckfast said:

Come to think of it I have a lot of time for The Auteurs as well, though I think the best thing Luke Haines ever did was the Baader Meinhof album which came a bit later.
    Now I'm A Cowboy is my favourite Haines work. Some cracking guitar, lyrically his best stuff, and he managed to get the C word in there. 

• MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3018
    edited March 2018
    Hmmm Britpop. 92-94 I was an indie / grunge kid. Loved bands such as blur, boos, ride, fannies, shoegaze, nirvana, dino jr, soundgarden, pumpkins etc. Saw Blur at Reading 93 and loved Modern Life and Popscene. But girls/boys and parklife turned me right off them for years. Didnt like Oasis. Didnt like the britpop attitudes of laddishnesh, britishness, mod nostalgia, bloody Chris Evans etc etc. Bands and songs seemed to me to be more direct, poppy, not as inventive or interesting musically.  Loved Verve’s 1st two but not UH. Loved Suede’s 1st two albums but nothing after. My tastes had changed to metal, hip hop, techno, drum n bass and I smoked too much dope. The bands I did like during the britpop era were the Super Furries, Manics, stereophonics and Catatonia (yes I’m Welsh) and Gene as they reminded me of the Smiths. Luke Haine’s Bad Vibes book on the britpop era is hilarious. 

A fellow 1981'er as well I assume!
    What gave it away! ;)