Oasis Marathon

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Good thread this @english_bob ; I sometime do the same binge listening to one artist from start to finish.

Have you seen the Supersonic documentary? I caught it over Xmas and it really gave a great insight into the early years (ends at the big Knebworth gigs).

I saw that too.  Even as a non-fan, it was fascinating to watch.

After Bowie died, I did a reverse-chronological dive of every album from Blackstar back to his first album in '67.  Quite a ride, and I was surprised how much I liked his more recent stuff that I missed at the time.

I also did every Dylan album over a few weeks recently.  Bloody hell, that took some stamina.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Good thread. Great reviews. And I think I agree with you on nearly every album. Definitely Maybe was and is one of the greatest debut albums of all time. And The Masterplan has to be my second favourite purely for the inclusion of Acquiesce and The Masterplan. 
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Just one Oasis track is a marathon of endurance for me!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128
    Just one Oasis track is a marathon of endurance for me!
    I agree. That one track is "All Around The World".

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m not a fan; for various reasons, not all about music, I’ve disliked them. Yet the first song of theirs I heard, on an NME cover tape, Fade Away, I liked and still sounds good. The first album has some great songs I know, but I was getting into heavier stuff at the time. Whats the Story I associate with a very bad time for me; however two songs stand out; the rest I never want to hear. Morning Glory is a top tune for blasting on a jukebox after a few pints. Champagne Supernova is good. Everything released after this; no thanks. I saw them live in Cardiff about 2004ish; yeah it was ok but they just don’t do it for me. 
    Trude said:

After Bowie died, I did a reverse-chronological dive of every album from Blackstar back to his first album in '67.  Quite a ride, and I was surprised how much I liked his more recent stuff that I missed at the time.

I also did every Dylan album over a few weeks recently.  Bloody hell, that took some stamina.
    Those are some serious artist marathons. I was flagging at the end of eight Oasis albums, although brickwall mastering and no real shift in the band's sound probably didn't help. I don't know if I'd attempt a slog through a catalogue as long as those. 

Good thread this @english_bob ; I sometime do the same binge listening to one artist from start to finish.

Have you seen the Supersonic documentary? I caught it over Xmas and it really gave a great insight into the early years (ends at the big Knebworth gigs).

No, I hadn't seen it. Probably worth a watch at some point .

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793

No, I hadn't seen it. Probably worth a watch at some point .
    It’s brilliant. Liam and Noel - for all their oafishness - tell their story with genuine wit and surprising insight. Liam’s backstage impression of Boyzone at the TOTP studio is laugh-out-loud funny.

It captures an era where music was still important - their drive and ambition was no accident - they really wanted success. I was in my 30s when they were at the height of their fame - so probably a bit old - but I have a great affection for that period.

They really need to kiss and make up. Liam sings Noel’s songs better than Noel can - and Noel writes better songs than Liam....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11676
    They really need to kiss and make up. Liam sings Noel’s songs better than Noel can - and Noel writes better songs than Liam....
    I agree to a certain extent.

However my thought was their respective solo albums were so good last year, that if they could avoid swinging at each other for a few months they could make a great album as Oasis if they got back together.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793

However my thought was their respective solo albums were so good last year, that if they could avoid swinging at each other for a few months they could make a great album as Oasis if they got back together.
    Maybe this could be the way forward - solo careers and occasionally working together? 
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    Fwiw "all around the world" is quite an old song of theirs. They play it in their practise room in the supersonic documentary, a time before definitely maybe was even recorded. Apparently Noel wanted to hold off recording it until they could afford the extravagant production. Personally I think it would have sounded better recorded with the edgier sounding earlier stuff, and ditch all the fancy strings etc but what do I know.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    I think it’s more likely that All around The World is just nowhere near as good a piece of songwriting as anything on DM or WHS?MG, but by the time they got to Be Here Now the cocaine was talking and cocaine doesn’t care about quality control...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited March 2018
    ...or lyrics control. They must have felt they didn't have enough songs featuring the phrase "take me away".
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296

Maybe it has been discussed above, but Gas Panic is one of the best songs they've ever written.

Whilst Noel may have caused some of the anxiety and panic attack symptoms through excessive partying/drugs, he was also massively in the spotlight.

He got through it, and as a fellow sufferer of anxiety (not so bad now, but I had a two year period of feeling horrific) I can relate to to sombre atmosphere and darker lyrics. It's good to see them work on a much less obvious track.

Definitely Maybe is amazing. No doubt about it. I have a lot of respect for the band as I grew up with them like my mum did with The Beatles.

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    edited March 2018
    Trude said:
    Good thread this @english_bob ;;; I sometime do the same binge listening to one artist from start to finish.

I saw that too.  Even as a non-fan, it was fascinating to watch.

Yeah Bowie's later material is amazing. Blackstar is stunning. Obviously his well known stuff is also ace, but i love the boundaries he pushed as he aged.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11676

Maybe this could be the way forward - solo careers and occasionally working together? 
    Maybe - no doubt they have been offered obscene money for a tour but both acknowledge they spark off each other.  The whole routine with the One Love Manchester concert last year shows how deep the animosity runs.  It's a shame because, without throwing stones, if you compare the best tracks on those solo albums with the Stone Roses reunion tracks, for example, it shows an Oasis reunion could be genuinely great, but it would end in a fist fight!

Onto the rest of the thread...

Am I the only person who really loves Be Here Now (cue someone quoting this saying "yes")?

Pretty much any and all constructive criticisms of it are valid (to quote Noel G himself "the lyrics are sh*t, every song goes on for ten minutes, whenever our kid isn't singing there's a guitar going widdly widdly, there's no bass on it, I've no idea where the f*ck that went, it just goes hssssssss all the way through...").

I just kind of love it though, probably because it came out on my GCSE results day, I made my Mum drive me to HMV to buy it at 7am that morning, I also bought OK Computer, Fat of the Land and Holy Bible by the Manics and two Beatles albums at hte same time with all my pay cheque from my horrible shelf stacking job...

Nostalgia, it aint what it used to be...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...