70s Bands - Recommendations please

What's Hot

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    beed84 said:
    When I said recommendations, I wasn’t expecting pretty much every artist from that decade to be mentioned. At this rate, I’ve got enough to keep me going until 2070!
    Thing is, 70s means different thing to different people. For some it's all about tank tops and disco. For the likes of me it's all about bands that grew up from the 60s, making serious music. For others it's all about punk and its derivatives. So you must expect a wide range of answers.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    telehack said:
    @SCMIV radio birdman!! So happy to see them mentioned. I love that band. I’ve got “essential radio birdman”.
    I mentioned them earlier! Totally great band. The MC5/Doors comment is spot on. This may not be the place for a shameless self plug, but anyway this is my previous band doing Radio Birdman's I-94:
    https://youtu.be/HW5gFRYs2jQ
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited March 2018
    Bad Company - Bad Company, Straight shooter, Running with the pack, Burning sky. 

Bebop Deluxe (sunburst finish is a great album)

Rush

Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard, Slowhand, Backless

Nazareth  (Manny Charlton was a great slide player) e.g. Razamanaz album. 

Dire Straits - first album still a classic

Rolling Stones...loads of albums

Humble Pie...check out live album Rocking the Filmore

Peter Frampton..check out double live 'Frampton comes alive'
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    Freddie Mercury and Paul Simon in their little-known wrestling days.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    beed84 said:
    When I said recommendations, I wasn’t expecting pretty much every artist from that decade to be mentioned. At this rate, I’ve got enough to keep me going until 2070!
    Mine are based on the bands you mentioned. Also only just scratched the surface. Check out the downer rock genocide and brown acid comps as well the day after the Sabbath blog loads more.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71953
    Grocer_Jack said:

re: Blondie. All the 70s albums are great and if we're allowed 1980 check out Autoamerican.
    I just did, after not having listened to it for years... it's terrible :). The only good tracks are Rapture and Angels On The Balcony, and that's pushing it - even The Tide Is High is a bit crap really.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    @Phil_aka_Pip and @Reverend ;

I'm not complaining, I'm just a little overwhelmed by the bounty of bands mentioned. Let's face it, if this was a thread asking for 90s recommendations, the only band worth mentioning would be the Backstreet Boys - the 70s clearly had a lot more going on. Ideal really, as I'd reached a point where I thought there was nothing interesting left to listen to. It turns out I've got an entire decade to get through.   ;)
  • telehacktelehack Frets: 93
    telehack said:
    @SCMIV radio birdman!! So happy to see them mentioned. I love that band. I’ve got “essential radio birdman”.
    I mentioned them earlier! Totally great band. The MC5/Doors comment is spot on. This may not be the place for a shameless self plug, but anyway this is my previous band doing Radio Birdman's I-94:
    https://youtu.be/HW5gFRYs2jQ
    Missed the earlier mention - nice cover - I like that.
    beed84 said:
    @Phil_aka_Pip and @Reverend ;

I'm not complaining, I'm just a little overwhelmed by the bounty of bands mentioned. Let's face it, if this was a thread asking for 90s recommendations, the only band worth mentioning would be the Backstreet Boys - the 70s clearly had a lot more going on. Ideal really, as I'd reached a point where I thought there was nothing interesting left to listen to. It turns out I've got an entire decade to get through.   ;)
    I think it did. I'm not done with it yet :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    ICBM said:
    Grocer_Jack said:

re: Blondie. All the 70s albums are great and if we're allowed 1980 check out Autoamerican.
    I just did, after not having listened to it for years... it's terrible :). The only good tracks are Rapture and Angels On The Balcony, and that's pushing it - even The Tide Is High is a bit crap really.
    Harsh! Go Through It is fantastic and captures that Brill Building vibe like Slow Motion on ETTB. T-Birds is almost as good - sort of a weird new wave Phil Spector feel. Do The Dark is a fun groove too. Oh well, can't win em all :)
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    edited March 2018
    Thought of loads then read through the thread and my list has shortened considerably but try:
    Nutz
    Strider
    Sassafras
    Home
    Charlie
    Also check out the early Judas Priest stuff. They were a sort of heavy prog band to begin with.
  • SCMIVSCMIV Frets: 14
    edited March 2018
    telehack said:
    There are a truly great band, the essential is a great comp of them as well, but still worth picking up the two individual albums as there is enough left off 'Essential' (like Iskender Time, Hit Them Again, etc.) to warrant a purchase imho.

The recent documentary about them was great, even if original footage is rare, and even if Deniz Tek doesn't come across the most sympathically.

It's funny, I was thinking that when I was younger I always made the obvious Detroit comparisons, but I think these days I hear more of Eric Bloom in Deniz Tek, and alot more of the Doors in the band overall as an influence as well. There's a great live bootleg version of them doing 'L.A. Woman' on youtube somewhere.

that's nice work btw, @Grocer_Jack ;;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    drwiddly said:
    Home
    yes absolutely. Laurie Wisefield before he joined Wishbone Ash (not that there was anything wrong with him after he joined Ash!)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    drwiddly said:
    Also check out the early Judas Priest stuff. They were a sort of heavy prog band to begin with.
    I was listening to the early albums last week, I went from Rocka Rolla up to Point of Entry.  There are some really oddball tracks on the first few albums, a million miles from their established sound.
  • frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited March 2018
    Iron Butterfly

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    drwiddly said:
    Home
    yes absolutely. Laurie Wisefield before he joined Wishbone Ash (not that there was anything wrong with him after he joined Ash!)
    Love the interplay between Laurie and Mick Stubbs on this.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Creme Brulee 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    I think Man have been mentioned a couple of times. If you do get around to listening to them, go for the live stuff, it’s infinitely better than any of their studio albums. There’s a very good double album called Man Alive that has some of their best 70s material. 

And another vote for Focus and Budgie.  :)