NAD - Redplate RP50R

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 225
    I think my Thorpy Gunshot pedal sounds very similar to the OD channel of my Blackverb.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 182
    I think my Thorpy Gunshot pedal sounds very similar to the OD channel of my Blackverb.
    Do you use extra fx or does the redplate offer every voice you need?
    At the moment I can only imagine using tremolo, vibe, Leslie sim, fuzz & wah. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Spent 3 hours last night just playing away on the redplate with not an fx pedal in sight. This is significant as I waste so much time fiddling with pedals. 
    The revolution has officially begun. My Odyssey overdrive is up for sale already. The cali76 hang in there once again as it makes my other amp sound so sweet. Reverb pedal could be next.
    If any SRV fans are looking for the perfect amp to get all his tones, I highly recommend the RP50R. Last night I went from Lenny to Voodoo Child to Texas Flood to Pride&Joy with just the amp. El Mocambo tones are easy to find. I still have to try In step Tones but seeing as the legend tells of him using 32 amps I think I can be forgiven for expecting too much from the little RP50.
  • firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 225
    lukedlb said:
    Do you use extra fx or does the redplate offer every voice you need?
    At the moment I can only imagine using tremolo, vibe, Leslie sim, fuzz & wah. 
    Currently using AX8 in 4CM.
    @Wazmeister did you find a good speaker to complement the combo?
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 3964
    lukedlb said:
    @Wazmeister did you find a good speaker to complement the combo?
    Well Luke, Ive got a Neo Creamback in my 1x12 Cab, which sounds good to my ears... mind you, I like the V30 as well.

How are your findings ?
    I tried a quad of celestion greenbacks in a vintage superbass cab the other day. It required an increase of the treble and bright circuit, but it sounded great. Efficient speakers such as my goodmans are too hard/harsh on the ears. I keep going back to the v30. I would like to find a couple of speakers to use in my 2x12. Alnico were too harsh. 
    The alnico speaker were glorious with a Marshall plexi. 8 goodmans from 1949. Incredible sound. Not so good with the redplate. 
    I'm getting very little time with my amps lately. However, the redplate continues to surprise me. I just tried the 40 watt bias selection and it sounds great. I tinkered with the overdrive channel and found some extra snarl with the front input selector. What's more I put the rear input selector into fat and it's really cooking.
    I still wonder how I could get a vintage marshall sound out of it as then it would be complete. Any suggestions?
  • ChesterChester Frets: 36
    lukedlb said:
    I'm getting very little time with my amps lately. However, the redplate continues to surprise me. I just tried the 40 watt bias selection and it sounds great. I tinkered with the overdrive channel and found some extra snarl with the front input selector. What's more I put the rear input selector into fat and it's really cooking.
    I still wonder how I could get a vintage marshall sound out of it as then it would be complete. Any suggestions?
    I can get close to a pushed Plexi growl with Drive 1 and 2 engaged on the Aurora 34. It's EL34 powered which helps the upper mids a bit, but if I wanted to get a more modded Marshall growl, I'd stick a Fulltone Fulldrive 3 in front of it. But nothing I have tried will replicate that buzzsaw upper mids growl of a Marshall on heat, excpet perhaps an EQ pedal in the loop to shape that style of response 

And I agree that V30's are the right speaker combination for my Redplate - I believe Henry recommends the same option
    Chester said:
    lukedlb said:
    I can get close to a pushed Plexi growl with Drive 1 and 2 engaged on the Aurora 34. It's EL34 powered which helps the upper mids a bit, but if I wanted to get a more modded Marshall growl, I'd stick a Fulltone Fulldrive 3 in front of it. But nothing I have tried will replicate that buzzsaw upper mids growl of a Marshall on heat, excpet perhaps an EQ pedal in the loop to shape that style of response 

And I agree that V30's are the right speaker combination for my Redplate - I believe Henry recommends the same option
    I tried a Kingsley Bard tremolo and an eq in the fx loop. The trem effect was much more exaggerated than in front of amp so I had to dial the blend down a lot. As a boost it sounded good. The eq produced interesting results but nothing close to a Marshall. I don’t have a miab so no luck testing that option. 
    Verdict: once again the redplate demonstrates it can live on its own without any extra pedals. The fx loop offers extra options with further sculpting of the pre amps or an adjustable boost. However, I imagine the amp’s controls could probably achieve similar results.