Wudtone CP Trem on PRS

andypwudtoneandypwudtone Frets: 287
edited March 2014 in Made in the UK
MIM spacing version of the Wudtone CP trem fits straight onto PRS, indeed you might think these two were made for each other. The Wudtone CP bridge connects to the body ( whereas the PRS bridge floats above). This increases resonance and dynamic (which you instantly feel when playing the guitar). It sounds bigger acoustically. A 1018 cold steel block ( I think the one that came off was brass),  steel nickel saddles gives the guitar more clarity and a sweeter top end.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I'd genuinely like to try a prs fitted with your trem to see how it feels. The standard prs unit is my personal favourite trem system and I'd like to see if I thought it improved on the original. I'll be honest and say id be incredibly surprised if it did.

I do prefer the look of the prs unit though.
  • andypwudtoneandypwudtone Frets: 287
    edited March 2014
    Hi Adam, thank you for your curiosity. 

I'm sure without proof a lot of folks will be just as sceptical!

It has been interesting understanding a PRS trem, which when you get right down to it is actually floating, pivoting around 1/16,-1/8 inch above the surface of the body when set up as recommended. It pivots on edges created with countersinks cut from underneath ( like a standard fender trem)  which are located in circular grooves that are cut into the shanks of the mounting screws. The plate ( with recommended set up ) itself never actually touches the body! 

I have seen the patent and I think it has been done this way purely to differentiate. It does a good job of solving the problems of tuning stability but it is, essentially operating just like a floating two post Strat trem  , albeit on six small grooved screws instead of two outer grooved posts. 

We have evidence of the difference our bridge makes to the dynamic/tone of ,dare I say, thin and pingy sounding, American Standard Strats (see  

)  

So we thought, hmmm why not try a Wudtone CP plate on a PRS. Doing so would highlight how a bridge, operating fully connected to the body, would change the resonance/ dynamic and tone of a nicely made mahogany /maple capped guitar.  I don't think we would have embarked on this without the .5mm stainless steel shim we supply with our bridge. This helps spreads the load onto the body. It also makes our bridge one of the most sensitive to use. The original prs bridge was very good but the Wudtone CP plate feels a little more sensitive (especially good for gentle chord shimmers)  and now the whole guitar feels more alive,responsive.  As you can see from the pics,  a PRS guitar and our narrow MIM version bridge ( with shim fitted under it) appear to be a perfect fit and match. ( not withstanding visual preferences!) .  

I have since watched a number of videos featuring Paul Reed Smith and he seems to be the first to acknowledge that what you get unplugged is key to what you get when you then introduce the pickups ( or microphones as he calls them) .

So if you can understand the difference in the way the Wudtone CP Bridge is always dynamically connected to the wood of the body (along with benefits we have demonstrated with a similarly disconnected Fender two post) then you will understand why there will be quite significant differences. Also Paul Reed Smith gets that everything about guitars, is acting as a filter, taking something away from what the vibrating string is capable of delivering. So having got rid of PRS's floating bridge / small grooved screw link, between string/saddle and the guitar's body and replaced it with something altogether more directly connected ( along with cs75 H&T,carbon spring steel, bridge plate material) things are going to be different as far transfer of energies, dynamic and filtering is concerned.

Time willing , we will put up more content, but meanwhile you are very welcome to come and have a go on the guitar shown in the pics, if you are ever passing Monmouthshire. Or if you have a PRS and want to experience this for yourself, we sell the Wudtone CP plate on a return if not absolutely blown away basis.
    kind regards

edited November 2014
     @Adam_MD I did say a while ago time willing we will put up more content well good news is we have had a top guy up in Scotland testing for a while. and so now the following product is released , reviews etc will follow

Wudtone PRS LR (LESS REDUCTION), now available 

PRS make some world class set neck guitars and discerning customers expect the best very tone.  Paul Reed Smith himself, often talks about reduction when discussing guitars and their essential components. The PRS “rules of tone” would seem to suggest,  less reduction = better guitar. At Wudtone we absolutely agree and this trem upgrade is all about less reduction.

The Wudtone PRS LR takes the proven Wudtone Constant Pivot design and applies it to the potential of a world class PRS guitar. This represents a very exciting opportunity for PRS guitar owners. Essentially, tone chasing PRS owners can now enjoy a fuller tone, with more dynamic response, detail, clarity. They will be able to wring more out of each held note and for longer.  

web page at http://www.wudtone.com/2012/03/21/wudtone-prs-lr-tremolo-upgrade/  technical footnote

The 1st gen plates,( as per the original Leo Fender patent)  with a flat top surface only pivot by loosening the fixings (this allows the plate to slide up and down the fixings). This type of plate provides a desirable tone but causes tuning to be unstable.

2nd gen plates ( e.g. as per 70s patent , eg Fender 2 post, PRS grooved screw, and Ernie Ball Luke) use indentations in the fixings ( 2 or 6)  so 'float' above the guitar body. Stable but the tone generated by guitars using these bridge plates is considered to be inferior to the vintage plates.

The Wudtone (Patent GB1314545.3) overcomes the problems of the two types of plate described above. It provides stable operation and a desirable tone through the use of: recesses formed around the fixings on the top side of the bridge plate; an arc on the underside of the bridge plate to ensure constant contact with the guitar body.

edited November 2014
    @TTony, pls shift this to made in UK as appropriate
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Is this still available ? How does the arm attach to the unit ?

Also is it a good direct replacement?
  • HI @jeztone2

It is a direct replacement, just remove the grooved PRS screws, take off the old bridg e, and then fit the PRS LR upgrade ( with shim underneath the bridge plate) with the non grooved bearing screws included into the exact same holes. You just need to bring the screws down to touch the surface of the plate and your ready to attach springs and string up. set claw for whatever up pitch you want.   

The trem arm supplied is 5mm stainless steel. It attaches by slotting through a 10mm deep nylon bush at the top of the block and then you turn to engage threads that are cut lower in the block. This ensures no slack.   

Let me know if you need any further help.
    kind regards