Back Up Amp Replacement

TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845

When we do "posh" gigs (weddings/functions/corporate) I ALWAYS take a back up amp just in case.

In many, many gigs I think I've needed it once or maybe twice - my gear thankfully seems to let go at practice or in pubs. So having had a rejig, I am at that point where I need another backup solution. Think is I just cant be fagged with a second amp anymore, the space, the weight, the additional cables and AB wiring etc - its just too much hassle.

So what can I use that I can just plug into the PA to get me to the end of the gig. I'm not into spending any huge amounts of money on multi FX etc so don't say Helix etc, I need something cheap that I can plug my existing pedalboard through and carry on........

What's the wisdom men?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    edited March 2018 tFB Trader
    Bad Monkey.
    Has an emulated output. I plugged my board into the Bad Monkey on a lowish gain setting then into PA. Works a treat, cheap, portable.
    Also works as an emergency OD or boost pedal of course.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72314
    martinw said:
    Bad Monkey.
    Has an emulated output. I plugged my board into the Bad Monkey on a lowish gain setting then into PA. Works a treat, cheap, portable.
    Also works as an emergency OD or boost pedal of course.
    This, or another of the Digitech pedals in the same series - Screamin' Blues, Hot Head etc - depending on which you like the sound of best. (Personally I prefer both those two to the Bad Monkey.)

If you have an amp-in-a-box type pedal on the board already - even something as cheap as a Marshall Guv'nor - then a Hughes & Kettner Red Box will also work.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Tech21 FlyRig. I never leave home without one.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    I've been planning to pick up a Quilter micro block to run through the [combo] speaker in the event of amp death. Expensive, but small and convenient enough to convince me.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    Quilter pro block. Its great and id be quite happy to gig it. I use it at festivals or plug in n play type gigs.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26577
    edited March 2018
    Why not just get a small, light amp then? Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18W is 5kg and smaller than most pedalboards, and you can find them second hand for about £250.

Failing that, one of the Vox 50W solid state mini-amps would probably do the trick quite nicely.

Point is...with either of these, you'll likely be able to just drop it in place in your normal rig, as opposed to a bunch of recabling and faffing to get the DI solution sorted.
    <space for hire>
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845
    edited March 2018
    @icbm so would i put the bad monkey into my existing board or existing board into bad monkey and straight to PA?
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Behringer GDI is good too. Used the BDI at a gig last night instead of the Hartke DI and loved it.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    edited March 2018 tFB Trader
    @icbm so would i put the bad monkey into my existing board or existing board into bad monkey and straight to PA?
    The latter.
    Use the BM as a dummy amp.

I'm not ICBM though. :)
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9714
    @Travisthedog if only you hadn't sold me your Bad Monkey eh!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845
    @Travisthedog if only you hadn't sold me your Bad Monkey eh!I 

I know!! What a knob!!
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1259
    A friend (and one of the finest all-round musicians I know) swears by his Joyo AC Tone pedal for this job, and I’ve heard him playing straight into the desk through one several times to great effect. I keep meaning to buy one myself as an alternative to lugging the Katana around as a just-in-case amp...

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    EHX Magnum 44 as a backup amp instead of the PA option? Can't speak to their quality but sounds perfect to me as a backup. One other thing I can offer, the Hardwire series PA option sounds shit from a friend who had to go there...
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Sorry, I meant to say Digitech and I can't edit for some reason. I was trying to say the Digitech (Bad Monkey etc) is questionable, not Hardwire.
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
    Could try one of the quilter or DV Mark heads. I have a DV Mark micro 50 as a back up. Clean channel is comfortably loud enough to gig with so if my main valve head goes down I just plug the DV Mark into my speaker cab and carry on. Takes all of pedals really well and is so light/small that it lives in the back of my speaker cab