NGD. Ah. Erm. Oops.

What's Hot
ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
edited March 2018 in Guitar
So, the mad mortgage deposit scramble happened and saw the exit of 2 Harley-Davidson's, 1 Jag, and about 11 guitars. And a happy ending. Offer in, accepted, deposit proven and mortgage application agreed in principle. Phew. Parted company with some fabulous guitars, but well on the way to having a cracking family home.

It wasn't all exits though. A little surplus, and completion of another contract meant that a couple snuck in under the radar. This was the last one in, but the one that has grabbed the majority of my attention. Because it is frankly superb.

It's a PRS Modern Eagle Quatro. 

It arrived following a conversation about the ME1 advertised in classifeds with @bgmartinsbridge . So really, it's all his fault. I liked the one in classifieds, but I wasn't looking to buy any more guitars. That obviously led to me having a poke around to see how much MEs command, and then I saw this. About 40 minutes from home. And in black/gold wrap, my favourite PRS finish. I started to feel a bit dentisty. I made an offer, on the provision that the chap would deliver it. 

45 minutes later he was at my front door with a very funky paisley case, which contained this beauty. 

So why is it so good? First off has to be the neck. Full rosewood, and a beautiful feel in the hand, it is comfortable, slick to play and adds to the amazing resonance of the instrument. Which is the second bit. Even after the Les Paul sustain has faded, this is still ringing. It's incredible. And then it has the 53/10 pickups, magically wound on a pickup winding machine using unobtanium wire or something. The marketing hype doesn't matter - the character and clarity of these things - from Pearl Jam through to Tom Petty is awesome. Hands down the best pickups I have. I even like the coil tap on them - and I hate coil taps.

Wrap this into a package of PRS showing off how well they do stuff and it is a fabulous guitar. The only gripe I have is the fretboard binding would have looked soooo much better in black, rather than white. But hey ho. You should hear the thing...

Only have two pics, have been too busy playing it. And off to do that some more now...

0reaction image LOL 25reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Stunner. Have a WOWSER.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Only ever played one of these unplugged but it was really nice.

Enjoy.
  • amarok1971amarok1971 Frets: 338
    Beautiful... I have an ME1 and it's ridiculously good 
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    You sir are an example to us all. Divinely afflicted by the purest GAS. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That's it, blame me :-)

Lovely guitar you've got there... 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3200
    Congratulations on all counts mate, well done! 
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I think you've probably won the internet today.

"Well done" doesn't seem like enough, not just for the guitar but for making it through that house adventure thus far.

I've only recently looked at PRS in the last year or two but yeah, that looks as stunning as I'm sure it is.
    HNGD

I'm definitely coming round to your place this summer.
    I'll bring some of my guitars as a feeble excuse.
    lol.
  • JEPBLEPJEPBLEP Frets: 188
    Came for the guitar, stayed for the write-up, well done!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    Les Paul to PRS convert. Evolution in practice ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    Alnico said:
    I think you've probably won the internet today.

"Well done" doesn't seem like enough, not just for the guitar but for making it through that house adventure thus far.

I've only recently looked at PRS in the last year or two but yeah, that looks as stunning as I'm sure it is.
    HNGD

I'm definitely coming round to your place this summer.
    I'll bring some of my guitars as a feeble excuse.
    lol.
    Would be an absolute pleasure. Just let me know when you fancy popping round. 

I've had a few PRS, and to be honest I was sulking a bit that my Tremonti had been rehomed in the deposit raising scramble (I seriously recommend looking at those). The ME has just taken things to another level. Come and have a go - see what you think ;)
    Thanks mate! Also have something that you might like that has snuck through the door ;)
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 849
    Congrats. That is a beautiful guitar. 
    Good news on the mortgage front too.
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    That looks great.  I have an ME II and love the rosewood neck on it.  Mine went through their custom shop to get some changes (including adding the signature switching to put the coil tap on mini-toggles).  Love how yours looks though.  I'm sure you will really enjoy it.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2353
    Beautiful.

The binding would be even better if they finished it off and did the end of the fretboard abutting the neck pickup ring.

Paul will doubtless say there's some tonal reason but I hate it that they do this, it feels lazy to me on an otherwise expensive, top drawer product.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    McCarty derived double-cut PRSs are fabulous guitars. Ignore whatever the received internet wisdom about dentists there is - at their best, PRSs are exceptional musical instruments.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3200
    ellwood said:
    Thanks mate! Also have something that you might like that has snuck through the door ;)
    I look forward to trying it!! Meant to try and get over this week but time has vanished. Must sort something soon!
  • Jesus, thats stunning!

@ellwood, how do you compare 22 fret PRS's with a Custom 24, tone wise?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Oh wow, now that is a special guitar! I bet that neck pickup sounds superb! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Jesus, thats stunning!

@ellwood, how do you compare 22 fret PRS's with a Custom 24, tone wise?
    To be completely honest I haven’t really considered. Reason being that as much as I have had a couple of cracking 24 fret PRS - the neck always feels too long for me to get comfortable with them - so I have always moved them on relatively quickly. Sorry!
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Let me guess the one who lolled my post is firmly in the "only old classic guitars have mojo" and PRS's sound clinical" camp...... ..... You're wrong. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom