Problem with moulded ear plugs

DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7321
For Christmas I got some of the ACS custom ear plugs, but unfortunately when I used them they hurt me and they wouldn't fit in my ears.
I've had absolutely brilliant service from ACS in trying to get it sorted, and I've had new moulds made.
These arrived yesterday and I used them at a gig last night. These ones don't hurt me and the level of attenuation is great, but when I talk; my voice in my own head sounds like I have a cold or I'm underwater. Almost like I'm trapped in my own head. They also stick out of my ear a bit.

Can anyone who has these comment on how your voice sounds to yourself with them in?
I really want these to work, so before I go back to them again saying they aren't right I want to make sure I'm not having unreasonable expectations.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited March 2014

Are you sure you're fitting them right and they're going right in, they shouldn't stick out.

I find that twisting them as I put them in is the best technique, so on my right ear I'll do an anticlockwise twist and push as one motion and it sort of drills it into place.

also the feeling your underwater is occlusion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occlusion_effect
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7321
    Yeah I'm doing the twist and push thing. If I push harder I can feel its hitting something in my ear. If I run my finger from the top of my ear to the bottom it's not flush.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    edited March 2014
    You're definitely putting them in the correct ear?

I find with my pro17s that the left one is totally open and transparent when I talk, the right one has very slight occlusion if my jaw is in the wrong place because I've got one of those annoying clicky jaws and I think it changes the shape of my ear canal, but it goes away if I un-click. So basically I consider my own bones the problem there.

Where did you get the moulds made? Can you go back there and see if they can help you see what's up? Or go to an ACS office. Since it happened twice my natural inclination is to suspect user error, or maybe an ear infection or something?
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Cirrus said:

Unless they've changed it the logo should be printed red for the right ear, and blue for the left ear.

It's most certainly uncomfortable getting that wrong....or so I understand ;-)

edited March 2014
    I'm hoping I'm doing it wrong, but I've read the instructions over and over. I remember it as red for right?
    I went to Boots the first time, and a different Boots the next. The second time the guy said that it appears as though my ear canal is wider at the back than the front, so it was almost as though to get them to fit it was like putting a square peg in a round hole. He asked for them to be tapered this time, but I'm not sure if it's been done.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Cirrus said:

Unless they've changed it the logo should be printed red for the right ear, and blue for the left ear.

It's most certainly uncomfortable getting that wrong....or so I understand ;-)

And yet they both slipped so easily into my rectum.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I have custom moulds and iems from hearwave, it takes time to get used to using them but over the last year my hearing has recovered a huge amount.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26912
    Which filters do you have? 

It's definitely red for right. I spent 2 hours on a flight with them backwards and it was a right pain. I was tired enough that I didn't notice when I put them in- only realised when I woke up with sore ears!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    edited April 2014

I just got some ACS Pro 17s. I must say, they're "harder" than I thought they would be. I've not worn them for more than 5 mins yet, but will give them a proper going over in the practice room this weekend.

It looks like I also have the "wider ear canal" thing that you have @DefaultM and it makes them a bit tricky to get in. I find that I also get the underwater sound/feel, but I can still hear people talk clearly when I have them in too. Probably more bothered about the comfort. Mate at work has some made by another firm (he used his for his bike), and the silicone is definitely a lot softer.

I'll see how I go this weekend, but I might have to get in contact with them and ask for some adjustments to be made.

@DefaultM, do you know what it is that they did when they made them "more comfortable" for you. Was it just a shape change, or did they also make the material softer?

I don't know unfortunately. The first set gave me what id describe as ear cramp. The second set look identical and they don't hurt, but in all honesty they still don't fit. I can't be bothered going back to them again so I'll just live with it, but I'm not impressed.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Balls
    Used them tonight and spent a good five minutes turning them in every direction and pushing/pulling trying to get them in a position that felt and sounded natural, but no joy.