Boss Chorus options??

What's Hot
tone1tone1 Frets: 5152
edited March 2018 in FX
I'm putting together a small board of entirely Boss Pedals, which is almost complete (when I get to the post office) with thanks to a last minute entry of a PH-1r from @ICBM .. My only question is whether it's worth changing my CH1 Chorus for a CE2? 

What’s the opinion of the gathered masses? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    I did exactly this. I have two late Taiwanese CE-2s - I definitely prefer their sound to the CH-1. Softer and more musical to my ears. It’s not night and day - but played back to back - clearly noticeable.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5152
    edited March 2018
    Thanks Richard.. I sorta missed the whole Boss thing first time around, apart from a Blues Driver.
    I’m aware that too many Boss pedals in a row might play havoc with my bypass tone but so far have 6. They all sound like classic sounds I heard on the radio growing up. The CH-1 sounds great but the CE-2 is Regarded as a bit of a classic.
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    I love the ce2 - just be aware it gives the signal a bit of a boost. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • How about the The CE-5? I’ve got one of the older analog chipped versions and it sounds wonderful
  • My board is now mainly Boss and I love it. I keep banging on about it but the SD-2 and OD-1 are my favourite drives and combined with the CE-5 it all sounds great.
    Thanks, I’ll have a look on YouTube at the CE-5 :)
  • The waza ce-2w is superb too.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    The earlier analogue CE-5 is great. I like the fact it has a mix control which made it more usable than the CE-2 for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Found a direct comparison of the CE-5 & CH-1

https://youtu.be/rmFNH3Wnf1E
  • Beexter said:
    The earlier analogue CE-5 is great. I like the fact it has a mix control which made it more usable than the CE-2 for me.
    I believe you you need to look for the blue or pink label CE-5’s to make sure you get an analog chip version... could be wrong?
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    edited March 2018
    DC-2 would be my choice. The CH-1 is my least favorite of the Boss chorus sounds, it sounds too biting and thin with single coils ime. The CE-5 is nice - the older analog version is the best.

I have a CE-2 that's been modded to 9v supply and caps upgraded, it's the best sounding CE-2 I've heard, much smoother and hi-fi than the stock version that I can only put down to the caps (metal film iirc).

Re. CE-5 analog/digital versions, from Bossarea If the second letter/first serial number combination is earlier than P1, you have the analog type.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    I like the CH-1 exactly because it’s thinner and less ‘syrupy’ than the CE-2 and CE-5, but I like the CE-5 as well - it’s better than the CE-2 because it has the effect level control. I also prefer the CE-3 to the CE-2 - I’m not sure exactly why! And it does cut bass a bit too much as well.

So I think that makes the CE-2 the one I like least... I recently had an early ‘long dash’ one and to be honest I was just pleased to sell it for a lot of money. The chorus in my ME-50 sounded just as good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Lovely thanks...I’m not unhappy with the Ch-1...The CE-2w is looking a good bet in the online demo’s
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    tone1 said:
    Lovely thanks...I’m not unhappy with the Ch-1...The CE-2w is looking a good bet in the online demo’s
    The CE-2W is great, it does more of syrupy chorus rather than the watery chorus of the CH series pedals.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    I should get around to trying my CEB-3 Bass Chorus for guitar really... I never have!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    I’ve done that, just turn the filter control off - although filtering out the bass frequencies before they’e effected will obviously have less affect on guitar (but still might be a useful control). I guess it’s based on the CH-1 or CE-5?

It’s also the only stereo chorus pedal I have, so it was fun to experiment. Also you can just send the 100% wet signal (which is purely vibrato, not chorus) into a single amp.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4500
    edited March 2018
    Double post
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4500
    Beexter said:
    I believe you you need to look for the blue or pink label CE-5’s to make sure you get an analog chip version... could be wrong?

JezWynd said:

Re. CE-5 analog/digital versions, from Bossarea If the second letter/first serial number combination is earlier than P1, you have the analog type.
    The same is true of the CH-1 - they both switched to digital in 2001.  Serial number P1 or later and grey label = digital version.  Blue or pink label = analogue.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks Guys...I think I’ve got to try an analogue CE2 of some description  :)