Perfect 80's Techno Pop?

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
Scritti Politti - Perfect Way.
This track was mind blowing at the time and still sounds good over 30 years later considering the technology.

Any other candidates of this type of techno-pop that sparkle for you from this era?
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fobfob Frets: 1430
    So popular it almost seems cliched but boy was it good. The video's dramatic close-ups onto their eyes and then onto the cow's eyes still makes me laugh.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12362
    Thomas Dolby. Brilliant songs that have stood up well over the years. 

https://youtu.be/-FIMvSp01C8

https://youtu.be/yNWPYH-XKpI

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    boogieman said:

Oh this is a strange one... I love synths (maybe more than guitar-based music until the whole ambient thing got going).
    And I don't like 80s techno pop at all!
    However... Thomas Dolby made an album "Astronauts & Heretics" which is sublime -- I'm not really sure how.
    Here's the first track, "I love you, goodbye" which suffers at the hands of old you tube compression here but the original is perfection.  It's a whole soundscape.  Probably my favourite piece of production ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72313
    Kajagoogoo :)

I love the Eurythmics, and a lot that's really more synth-duo (OMD, Yazoo, Blancmange etc) than techno-pop, quite like Thomas Dolby, but I absolutely cannot stand Scritti Politti!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12362
    Grunfeld said:
    boogieman said:

Oh this is a strange one... I love synths (maybe more than guitar-based music until the whole ambient thing got going).
    And I don't like 80s techno pop at all!
    However... Thomas Dolby made an album "Astronauts & Heretics" which is sublime -- I'm not really sure how.
    Here's the first track, "I love you, goodbye" which suffers at the hands of old you tube compression here but the original is perfection.  It's a whole soundscape.  Probably my favourite piece of production ever.

I haven’t heard that album. Nice! 

I dug out Aliens ate my Buick after this thread reminded me I hadn’t played it for ages. Love this track
    https://youtu.be/GAdK74gJe04

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Propaganda- live, their synth sounds could be very powerful and aggressive 
  • Kebabkid said:
    Propaganda- live, their synth sounds could be very powerful and aggressive 
    I was going to suggest Propaganda. I was a big fan, back in the 80s. 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5417
    edited March 2018
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5417

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    If you like your guitar mixed in, Go West and Nik Kershaw to a point and Corey Hart, who's been already mentioned (try Eurasian Eyes and Boy in a Box); however, have a listen to the excellent Bourgeois Tagg. I know that people will know them for the one UK Beatle-esque hit "I don't mind at all" but the other tracks on that album are pretty electronic with nice guitar parts.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom