speaker advice: Marshall voiced amp 2 x 12 - 100w

darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
edited March 2018 in Amps
I've just picked up a marshall voiced amp head as I needed one for a project.

I'm really not a marshall amp guy and I've not really used on beyond the odd noodle or random gig here and there for a long long time.

the amp is a two channel plexi / jubilee style head 100w. 

I tried it out with a load of cabs that my fender voiced amps use and it sounds great, but the last time I really used a marshall was many years ago, and it was always an easy formula, 4 x 12 B cab with green backs, - I'm out of touch. 

What speakers should I really put the research into for a 2 x 12 to get say that "slash/nuno style" hard rock sound (I'm not looking to rip off slash's tone, trying to give you an idea of the musical style/voicing) 

Open to matches pairs / mixing speakers whatever, educate me, I know there a lot of Marshall style guys on here that sound great.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    I'd go for Classic Leads or Vintage 30's.
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    vintage 30's...in a 2 x 12 wouldn't that be pushing the speakers quite hard with a 100w head ?
    nope, I'm wrong, they are rated for 60w each.
    The Celestion range has a lot of new models, some interesting ones too. For Marshall voicing is there any other brands I should look at ?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    darcym said:
    vintage 30's...in a 2 x 12 wouldn't that be pushing the speakers quite hard with a 100w head ?
    V30s like to be pushed hard - a pair is definitely fine with a 100W amp.

darcym said:
    The Celestion range has a lot of new models, some interesting ones too. For Marshall voicing is there any other brands I should look at ?
    No :).

Just my opinion obviously...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited March 2018
    Maybe 2 Creamback M 65 if you want a higher wattage greenback tone? Or mix one with a V30 perhaps.
    ICBM said:

Just my opinion obviously...
    I'm asking for opinions, so that's totally fine.

TTBZ said:
    Maybe 2 Creamback M 65 if you want a higher wattage greenback tone? Or mix one with a V30 perhaps.
    I'm just reading about the creambacks on the website at the moment, I've read a lot of good things about them on here, but never had cause for them.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    darcym said:
    TTBZ said:
    I'm just reading about the creambacks on the website at the moment, I've read a lot of good things about them on here, but never had cause for them.
    They're excellent - so are the G12H-75 version, or one of each. More of a classic-rock than a modern/hard-rock sound though.

If you were going to mix one with a V30 I would pick the 75, not the 65 - it's more similar in sensitivity and more different in tone, which tends to work better.

The Classic Lead 80 also mixes well with a V30, but from personal experience the Classic Lead and the G12M-65 do *not* go well together...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

a pair of the classic leads where also something I was reading about.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    You could do worse than try the Harley-Benton Vintage 2x12 cab from Thomann
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 833
    I use creamback m65’s with my modded jcm 800 and EVH heads -they sound superb IMHO!
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 916
    edited March 2018
    I have a couple of 2x12 cabs each with a Classic Lead 80 and a WGS Retro 30 and they pair really well IMO. The Retro 30 is similar to a Vintage 30 but with less of a midrange hump.

btw I have a 16ohm Classic Lead 80 going spare if that's of interest?