Who’s been to Berlin ?

What's Hot
sev112sev112 Frets: 2760
me, Mrs sev112 and little miss sev112 (I have to stop calling her that now she’s nearly 15!) are off to Berlin for 3 or 4 days after Easter

any suggestions ? Staying quite central not far from Checkpoint Charlie  

Good areas to go out and eat in Evenings would be really useful if anyone has any sugegstions

also some places that will excite a “nearly 15” year old

thanks all
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9526
    I'd be keen to know too, as we've just booked for 4 nights in April :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    I loved the Naturkunde museum (from checkpoint charlie keep walking north, or get the tram). East side Gallery is a must (me and my mate got caught up in a protest there, quite interesting! Mind you that was about the 3rd/4th protest we got caught up in, no danger involved)

The Bonn is great, awesome views of the city at the top.

Depending what kiddo is into, she might not care for stuffy museums. There's an amazing lomography shop (which is bloody expensive but amazing) on thingymebob street (Chausserstrabe?).

If there's any good bands on go to the Frannz club, me and my mate saw the Slaves there - great night!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    The museum is Technology is brilliant....

http://sdtb.de/museum-of-technology/623/

DDR Museum was really interesting....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR_Museum

It's just a great all round city to be in, some really cool low key bars and places to eat. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2760
    See you there then :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4630
    Be very careful of pick pockets. Phones are a target.
    Potzdammer Plaz has a few pieces of the wall left.
    Food is cheap in Berlin and very virtually any nationality of food is available.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11872
    I have had to reschedule mine due to flight being cancelled, now going in start of May.
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 681
    We had the most amazziing steak in berlin when we were there, cant remember the name of the restaurant though so not much help at all.
  • I live here. For eating, the biggest concentration of good restaurants is in the Neukölln/Kreuzberg area.

Avoid the tourist center, it’s as dull and fake as the tourist center of any other city. Also, the tourist section are where pickpockets operate. The rest of Berlin is fine in this regard. 

If if you want more restaurant advice, let me know what kind of thing you’re after — best pizza, best Turkish, etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 681
    Found an old email
    ADRESSE:
    Asador Steakhouse
    Wilhelmstr. 22 10963 Berlin

Would definately recommend it, nice wine too.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    There was a thread about this a couple of months back. It’s worth searching
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    Thomann!

;-)
  • Thomann!

;-)
    Not in Berlin. But Just Music is definitely worth a visit. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Been there around 1986 when the wall was still up...a bit weird really....you could go up some viewing steps and look over...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    I liked the vibe of the sony centre in potsdamer platz at night. 

The Riechstag and Brandenburg gate are nearby, along with the Holocaust memorial, parts of the wall and various other places like the Jewish book hole thing and a statue of a woman and child in a room.. basically stuff you can see in a morning. 

Hitlers bunker is just a car park with a sign up. 

There was a hot air balloon type thing that goes up over the city but is held by a big old rope. Their london eye I guess. 

I need to go back, I only got 2 days there before moving on to Dresden (cool lil town too). 

Checkpoint charlie is cool but the actors there seem to like bogging you the fuck out if you film them, and I got the impression they expected you to pay them if you took photos with em or by em. 

I can’t really comment on the food situation as being a coeliac I found an Indian near the Plaza which didnt kill
    me the first night, so thats where I went the second night. Lovely food it was though. 

Jaywalking isnt the done thing either, you can get fined for it. I was surprised at how disciplined most people there are, only crossing at designated crossings, and only when the lights were green to cross, regardless of whether the road was empty or not! 

I got off the plane and acted like I was at home in London with the roads and was quickly advised not to! Lol. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24287
    I haven’t.  I hope this is helpful.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    We went in 2010 when my son was 14.  Our hotel was in the same road as the Hard Rock Cafe.  Felt like we barely scratched the surface.  I'd be happy to go back.  The Zoo was nice.  Went up the Fernsehturm.  We planned to go in the Reichstag building but the queue snaked too long.  On our last day we went on a coach tour of the city and felt it might have been better to do this on the first day because it gave a good idea of the size and shape of the city.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9526
    I live here. For eating, the biggest concentration of good restaurants is in the Neukölln/Kreuzberg area.

Avoid the tourist center, it’s as dull and fake as the tourist center of any other city. Also, the tourist section are where pickpockets operate. The rest of Berlin is fine in this regard. 

If if you want more restaurant advice, let me know what kind of thing you’re after — best pizza, best Turkish, etc.
    Mate, obvious question on here.... any good guitar shops ?
  • cacophonycacophony Frets: 385
    am also off there!,8th april. but am doing a very WW2 centric tour as the second world war is my number one interest in life. so am searching out some real 'off the beaten track' things to see. but will keep dipping in here for general advice.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I live here. For eating, the biggest concentration of good restaurants is in the Neukölln/Kreuzberg area.

Mate, obvious question on here.... any good guitar shops ?
    Just Music is huge, on five floors, with one floor for guitar and bass. The American Guitar Shop is also a great small shop, with custom shop stuff. They’re friendly. But in general I usually use either Just Music or Thomann. I’ll see if I can think of some more. 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    edited March 2018
    Not sure if any of this is relevant for a 15 yr old but this is what I liked...

Cycling tour, you get a bike and a guide.
    Saxonhausen concentration camp, you meet the guide at a train station. It's not the most pleasant day but informative.
    The tower in alexanderplatz,its a tower.
    The kaisers church in kurfurstendam
    Zoo station