Fondant potatoes

What's Hot
I always thought these were something posh folk did, given that they're always appearing on Masterchef and in restaurants who think they're further up the ladder than they actually are, but...had a second go at them today, and they really are the absolute nuts. For a guy with a lifelong obsession with chips (bloody love 'em), I actually think that fondant potatoes are by far the best way to deal with this particular veg.

Even better, the stock makes a fabulous gravy - I make them with vegetable stock cubes and a boat load of mixed herbs, and that means my wife (a vegetarian) finally gets to have a proper gravy instead of the afterthought-from-powder she usually makes herself.

Win all round.
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 27583
    Second only to dolphin-nose potatoes.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Sporky said:
    Second only to dolphin-nose potatoes.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    edited March 2018
    Fondant potatoes sounds like a euphemism for a dubious practice popular with lovers of crystal meth.
    Be seeing you.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Boulangere potatoes are where its at.

fry some black pudding (or bacon) and cut into little bits.  Thinly slice potatoes and onions (or leeks

Layer of potato, onions, black pudding salt and pepper in a greased oven dish repeat layers finish on potato, fill to just under the top layer with stock oven for 90 minutes.

Goes great with pork belly, put the belly on the rack above the potatoes and let the juices drip into the potatoes (James Martin idea) gorgeous.

I have done fondant potato years ago I can't remember the process, just a lot of butter I seem to recall!
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    Will have to try the black pudding with Boulangere potatoes, nice idea.
    I usually cook them "low and slow" under a shoulder of lamb which I stud with garlic and rosemary.
    Great one dish meal that you chuck in the oven for 3 hours and forget about.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    Fondant Potatoes are one small step away from Potato Shake
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Will have to try the black pudding with Boulangere potatoes, nice idea.
    I usually cook them "low and slow" under a shoulder of lamb which I stud with garlic and rosemary.
    Great one dish meal that you chuck in the oven for 3 hours and forget about.
    This is the perfect way to do them IMO. Try lowering the temperature and doing it up to 7 hours... even better!