Tinned Potatoes

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    boogieman said:
    Can’t remember ever eating tinned potatoes. A few years ago someone I worked with won a Xmas hamper and gave me the things she didn’t want. This included a tin of Brussel sprouts. Oh Jeepers, they were bad ( and I like Brussel sprouts). 
    I like tinned marrowfat peas though, yum. 
    I didn’t even realise tinned sprouts were a thing.  :s
    That’s the only time I’ve ever seen them, although I can’t say I’ve ever really looked. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • i didnt think people used these, except people with makeshift nuclear bomb shelters who have stocked up with 500 tins of various tinned veg and sardines.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22741
    the only things tha should come in tins is pints cans of Stella, pints of Guinness, baked beans and mushy peas.
    What about Heinz steamed puddings?

Which to my dismay appear to have been discontinued.... how could they do that?
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Tinned potatoes are bloody awful. Ate them a bit as a student out of laziness, always had a weird non potato aftertaste that eventually put me off. It's not like they're much cheaper or actually save you much time over decent potatoes.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308
    Philly_Q said:
    the only things tha should come in tins is pints cans of Stella, pints of Guinness, baked beans and mushy peas.

One thing  that I do like from a tin is a Frey Bentos Steak and Kidney pud. 

The tin keeps the bottom rawish, so it's all soft and gooey. Mmm. Lovely suet. 

Anyway, back to veg... as you were. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

CHRISB50 said:
    One thing  that I do like from a tin is a Frey Bentos Steak and Kidney pud. 

The tin keeps the bottom rawish, so it's all soft and gooey. Mmm. Lovely suet. 
    I was always fascinated by them as a kid, but never tried one unttil I was in my 20s... I thought it was bloody horrible.

The soggy bottom was nasty and it could've done with a lot more steak and a lot less kidney.

Still, it was worth trying.  Never again.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited March 2018
    Philly_Q said:

Yes - not seen the tinned or even supermarket own tinned (~50p) for ages. They now sell in tiny little yoghurt-pot size  2 packs instead for £1.75... Bloody loved the puds... Bloody loved them...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

My granddad was an engineer for Frey Bentos, so I ate a lot of them growing up.

It's weird because I normally wouldn't like this kind of thing, but these, I really do.

I totally understand why people would not like them though. Maybe an acquired taste :)

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    57Deluxe said:
    /\ but they can open the cans though??
    Wall mounted electric can opener does wonders.

Octafish said:
    Tinned potatoes are bloody awful. Ate them a bit as a student out of laziness, always had a weird non potato aftertaste that eventually put me off. It's not like they're much cheaper or actually save you much time over decent potatoes.
    yes the taste is a mix of Tin, mint salt and sugar syrup...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Weren't they prone to exploding if treated incorrectly?
    Maybe that had something to do with it?
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    FX_Munkee said:
    Philly_Q said:

Weren't they prone to exploding if treated incorrectly?
    Maybe that had something to do with it?

I'm sure it was possible, but the worst I ever did was letting the pan boil dry.

The bigger danger was having hot jam or golden syrup spray out when you opened one end of the can, but I soon learned to hold a cloth over the can opener.

I think people don't even have the patience - or the cooking skills - to leave a can boiling in a pan for 40 minutes any more, so instead they buy the poxy little microwave versions.

edited March 2018
    /\ I used to open the tin and turn out the contents into a mwave bowl and cover and cook for 80 secs... No blowing up or vomiting syrup. The biggest risk was using a can opener unattended, devoid of an on-site H&S supervisor.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>