Flamenco guitar!! How to start?

What's Hot

I fancy trying to learn some flamenco guitar. I know its very difficult etc, but if life was easy etc...

I have a reasonable classical type guitar.

So where do I start.

Unfortunately in deepest West Cornwall, where I live, I am unable to find anyone to help.

I have checked out YouTube etc, but are there any sires, books that would help.

I saw a post a while ago, can't find it now, where a FBer mentioned he had a lesson for a few years and was now out gigging.

Anyway any tips, help gratefully received.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wordywordy Frets: 67

I think Truefire do a course.... maybe more than one.  Maybe have a look on truefire.com

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    very tight black trousers. Get them, the rest will follow.

There are a number of books and a couple of dvd's out there. The Hal Leonard one is £6.99 on amazon, looks like it uses standard tab and gets good reviews so that might be a good starting place just to dip your toe in the water. The other ones cost more/ use notation/etc. So might depend on how well you can read music, how serious you are and how deep your pockets are. 

Although, TBH, my knowledge of flamenco is largely based on an episode of the Teletubbies.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 229

Teletubbies sounds the place to start!!

Will have a look at Amazon too

Thanks

• tonyrathtonyrath Frets: 51

I am studying flamenco guitar at present and I agree it is the hardest technique to assimilate  Juan Martin has done a series of books with DVDs which are a good starting point. If you pm me I will supply a list of basic materials. You need to have the strings lowereed on your classical and put a golpe on the front to protect it ie a sheet of shaped clear plastic.  Flamenco relies very strongly on the correct rhythm patterns and keepting time or compas is vital. There are 12 count pieces with different stresses and pieces in 6/8 such as zapateado and then the 4/4 piece such as farrucca. You need to create the proper flamenco sound with a lot of attack. Picado ie single note playing is very hard check out Paco di Lucia, He is playing at speeds pick players can only just manage using his fingers. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    rolls1392;191074" said:
    Teletubbies sounds the place to start!!Will have a look at Amazon tooThanks
    the teletubbies flamenco guitar episode is on YouTube. Not saying you will learn much ( or anything)but even watching the chap playing pop goes the weasel flamenco stylee is quite impressive.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    tonyrath said:

I am studying flamenco guitar at present and I agree it is the hardest technique to assimilate  Juan Martin has done a series of books with DVDs which are a good starting point. If you pm me I will supply a list of basic materials. You need to have the strings lowereed on your classical and put a golpe on the front to protect it ie a sheet of shaped clear plastic.  Flamenco relies very strongly on the correct rhythm patterns and keepting time or compas is vital. There are 12 count pieces with different stresses and pieces in 6/8 such as zapateado and then the 4/4 piece such as farrucca. You need to create the proper flamenco sound with a lot of attack. Picado ie single note playing is very hard check out Paco di Lucia, He is playing at speeds pick players can only just manage using his fingers. 
    +1 Juan Martin and, well, pretty much this whole post.  I would add Volume One of Gerhard Graf-Martinez Book/DVD, and Oscar Herrero Volume 1 Step by Step series.   If you come across an actual flamenco guitar give it a try, there is a difference.  They are much lighter and have a crisper tone.  Playing with a capo at the second or third fret is common.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    The best way to start Flamenco guitar is with a rasgueado ;) HTH :P
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LuminousLuminous Frets: 210
    Newbie here but 100% on the Juan Martin courses ( his albums are great too ) , there are some great IOS apps with flamenco rhythm patterns too
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 682
    frankus said:
    The best way to start Flamenco guitar is with a rasgueado ;) HTH :P
    Hey, you're on a roll there ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158

Start with the Solea, as it is the original form of Flamenco and has the same compass (Rhythmic structure) as Alegrias and Bulerias (The hardest to play and fastest). Flamenco puts quite an emphasis on the beat and timing. All of these forms have  a 12 beat structure, with the accent placed on certain beats. 1,2,3, 4,5,6, 7,8,9,10,11,12,1,2,3 ect. To get a grip on the way that fits win with basic structures listen to guitarists accompanying singers (Tomatito with Cameron is as good as it gets) as there is a lot less embellishment and you can here the form easier. In terms of scales  Phygrian, Minor and Harmonic Minor are the basis of it, although most Flamenco players think in terms of chords and chord structures. Lots of good stuff below...

http://www.google.es/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=video&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CFUQtwIwBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DhQrLqBuJWy8&ei=F_0_U63_KOTb7AaL3oHQDw&usg=AFQjCNFAnFi3DiNkxLPJUaPOO22S5nwUdA

Yep Bulerias at 250 bpm is great fun to play 

Also my teacher plays clean scales in picado at 180 bpm at 4 notes per beat Try that one out 
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 229

Thanks for the tips so far guys.

I have bought a Juan Martin book and am slowly working through it

Bulerias at 250bpm? Try 25bpm!!

Only problem I have is that the nearest instructor I can find is in Bristol, 180 miles away.

Teach me for living in SW Cornwall!! Lol.

• Interested  in this also...Have a nice nylon string and am picking up a Line 6 Nylon next week....
    Man just checked out that Tomotito cat -  ;)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

The best technical guitarist is Gerardo Nunez check spelling plus the late great Paco and Vicente Amigo 
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Oh god, I tried it in my 20's. Forget the name of the CD and book I had but could not get the tone right, even when I was in time.

I do think it helped me tackle Big Love by Fleetwood Mac though, so not a total waste of time. 

Good luck!
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Nunez would be the correct spelling, although Paco de Lucia to me stands above the rest. Vicente Amigo and Tomatito were amongst the pall barers at his televised funeral. Manolo San Lucar is also excellent. For albums, Sirroco and Zyrab by Paco de Lucia and any of his group´s live stuff are essential as is Ciudad de Las Ideas by Vicente Amigo.  

Agree about Manolo Sanlucar. For the really good early stuff try Nino Ricardo or some early Sabicas 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    Strum an open E move the shape down one fret and back then shout "OLE!" and spin your guitar around. 

It's always worked for me. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    I bought some DVD/booklet course which was good. Gave up after 6 months - tried to learn jazz & flamenco to further my playing but realised each would take a LOT of time to really get up to scratch with, and rock was my main thing.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33786
    Young.