Headphones - it's a minefield!

What's Hot
In anticipation of my Kemper arriving this week, i've been looking into headphones. I'm getting very confused with words like "soundstage", "ohmage", and various other words that mean nothing to me.

I got told to look at some HD600's, but while reading up, I saw the Philips Fidelio X2 get recommended as well... not to mention half the price, and on Amazon they are the "#1 Studio Headphone"

Can anyone help me make an informed decision on a pair of headphones please?!

Dave

P.S. I will probably be asking the exact same thing about monitors very soon...........

This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2406
    edited March 2018
    FWIW, I've had the Fidelio X1s for about 4 years and couldn't be happier with them. I don't use them for studio stuff, and I can't tell you about the science behind them, but what I can say is that they're mega comfortable, robust, and sound excellent - very well balanced. And that's on their own. Run through my headphone amp they sound absolutely incredible.

I imagine the Sennheiser's are excellent sounding headphones, but if you can make a decent saving and bag yourself a well received pair of cans, then maybe consider the X2s. Hope that helps 

EDIT: Note that their is a batch out their that were constructed under a different company - I'm can't remember who - and unfortunately the quality diminished. It might be worth doing some research on that before parting with your cash.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    beed84 said:
    FWIW, I've had the Fidelio X1s for about 4 years and couldn't be happier with them. I don't use them for studio stuff, and I can't tell you about the science behind them, but what I can say is that they're mega comfortable, robust, and sound excellent - very well balanced. And that's on their own. Run through my headphone amp they sound absolutely incredible.

I imagine the Sennheiser's are excellent sounding headphones, but if you can make a decent saving and bag yourself a well received pair of cans, then maybe consider the X2s. Hope that helps 

EDIT: Note that their is a batch out their that were constructed under a different company - I'm can't remember who - and unfortunately the quality diminished. It might be worth doing some research on that before parting with your cash.
    Awesome, thank you Sir.

Considering i'm coming from nothing and no experience with decent headphones I don't know if i'd even be able to tell the difference!
  • docbakerdocbaker Frets: 30
    There is also the Grado Labs series, I am really pleased with my set of SR80e's, they are at grado.co.uk
    -site:amazon.co.uk -site:ebay.co.uk... ditto for .com, the most powerful internet search filters
    docbaker said:
    There is also the Grado Labs series, I am really pleased with my set of SR80e's, they are at grado.co.uk
    Thanks - am I barking up the right tree with this type of headphone? Or should I be looking at something entirely different?
  • What is your budget and what are your requirements?  What are your preferences?  Open back vs closed?
    What is your budget and what are your requirements?  What are your preferences?  Open back vs closed?
    I would like some headphones that sound good for use on the Kemper until I get some decent monitors.

Preferences? No idea.... Budget - been looking up to £150 ish.

Open vs Closed - whatever will get the best sound
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    edited March 2018
    I suggest getting some Beyer DT770's.
    They are decent and in budget and sound fine.
    Get the 80 ohm version.
    You only need higher impedance if you are using it with a headphone distribution system.

You are always going to be up against it mixing with headphones.

The only people I know who do it successfully are mixing to stems and delivering that to a mastering engineer who does final EQ/compression on the stems and then the 2 track master.

Once you are onto studio monitors I'm going to bang on about spending 50% of your budget on acoustic treatment, so best to get that into the discussion now.
    octatonic said:
    Get the 80 ohm version.
    You only need higher impedance if you are using it with a headphone distribution system.

The only people I know who do it successfully are mixing to stems and delivering that to a mastering engineer who does final EQ/compression on the stems and then the 2 track master.

Once you are onto studio monitors I'm going to bang on about spending 50% of your budget on acoustic treatment, so best to get that into the discussion now.
    Thanks, will check them out. I'm not mixing or recording - nothing more than just want a decent representative sound from the Kemper in my office.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited March 2018
    I'm a Beyerdynamic fan.  I've got the 770s, 880s, and 990s.  I find the pads they use very comfortable.

For playing enjoyment and recording DI I use the 990s.  They're open back so will leak sound, but they're a bit flatter than the 770s overall and I prefer to wear open back headphones when possible as it's just less claustrophobic over longer periods.  I wouldn't recommend the 880s for your purposes as they have less low end than the 990s, even though they're technically the flattest of the lot they're probably the least inspiring to play through, at least IMO.

I use the 770s when tracking vocals or acoustic guitars to avoid leaking sound.

Though money no object the nicest set of headphones I've heard for closed backs are the Bowers & Wilkins P7s.  They're discontinued now, I haven't heard the replacement model.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    PC_Dave said:
    Mixing tracks and playing through my helix. 
    They get used for singing too when recording with a condenser.

You also get the benefit of them being sold by Amazon in case you want to return
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3038
    It depends what you're going to be using them with.

If you're plugging directly to the Kemper, check what sort of output it has. Some outputs will only drive high-impedance phones.

R.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2406
    PC_Dave said:
    octatonic said:
    Get the 80 ohm version.

Thanks, will check them out. I'm not mixing or recording - nothing more than just want a decent representative sound from the Kemper in my office.
    In that case you might want to reconsider buying the X2s, or the Senns for that matter. They might excel at playing your favourite music, and can probably accommodate studio stuff, but managing to faithfully reproduce what your Kemper sounds like might be asking too much. TBH I’ve always thought guitar through a pair of headphones sounds woeful, no matter how good they are.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    edited March 2018

Though money no object the nicest set of headphones I've heard for closed backs are the Bowers & Wilkins P7s.  They're discontinued now, I haven't heard the replacement model.
    I have the P7's- they are great but they are not flat.
  • octatonic said:

I have the P7's- they are great but they are not flat.
    Agreed - but they're very nice with pleasing and powerful sounding low end.  I'd love a set, I just couldn't justify it.

My philosophy with headphones is it's better to go with something you like the sound of (within reason anyway) and find comfortable.  I do actually enjoy tracking on headphones as I find it easier to play tightly on them than playing on monitors.  But I generally try to get tones on monitors first then switch over and I agree with your view on mixing on headphones (and room treatment).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hick81Hick81 Frets: 122
    edited March 2018

Sony MDR-7506 - I love them for mixing and tracking. Andrew Scheps uses them apparently and they're less than £100.

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Hick81 said:

Sony MDR-7506 - I love them for mixing and tracking. Andrew Scheps uses them apparently and they're less than £100.

Too bright, useful for vocal tracking but that's it mostly.
  • CaptainBbCaptainBb Frets: 17
    edited March 2018
    I've had a few pairs of Beyers over the years 990s, 75 LE, etc. but each pair failed due to the cables age-hardening (near the ear cuffs) and then snapping (steel core?).  

I now use Sennheisers.  
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    AKG 701 all you will ever need and more. Super comfy as well.