One of my new favourite solos (Paul Gilbert is awesome content)

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
edited March 2018 in Guitar
The whole song is brilliant - in fact, the whole album is brilliant. This is the 2010 album he did with singer Freddie Nelson, and it's stuffed full of great tunes. This one has a fantastic, multi-section solo starting at 1:10. It fits the song perfectly and walks the fine line between having a great sense of melody that really serves the song, and all-out blazing up and down the neck in the manner Paul Gilbert is well known for.

Paul Gilbert is just great isn't he. Even if you hate shred, the fact that he just sounds like he's enjoying himself so much is really infectious. And his tone and vibrato are the best of any shred guitarist you could possibly mention. And he can actually write great songs.
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    I loved it.  But i didn't think it flowed smoothly from the end of the solo back into the song. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Vibrato is his best "song" album, and the band are awesome too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    I really enjoyed it. If Tom Sholz had been  a shredder then Boston might have sounded like this.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Paul's enthusiasm for guitar is infectious and it really comes through in his music. Even Mrs. L (who hates shred etc) loves Paul Gilbert. Lovely chap too if you get a chance to meet him.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I had a chance to see Paul in Southampton but turned it down, what a mistake that was! If he plays here again I'll be damned sure not to miss him a second time, what a player and I say that as someone who doesn't like shred much.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Cheers C and that was an excellent solo with the right degree of flash and melody.

Thing is, for all his technical ability and 'shred side', the man is a musician first and foremost and appreciates the classic song form like The Beatles, Elton John and even current pop, and that comes out in his solo material like the King of Clubs album and even the Mr Big hit "Green-tinted 60's mind"

• VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    great player and nice chap, wife even came with me to see him in Bristol last year. Freddie Nelson has recently released another solo record (without Paul) which is pretty good too.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Amazing player, super lovely guy as well. Met him at a clinic once, prob back in the late 90s??
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    I hate shred, but I love PG! Plays with a lot of feeling, for a fast technical player. Comes over as a nice guy too! My favourite guitar player!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    edited March 2018
    Like EVH and Vai, the reason Paul Gilbert also stands out from the crowd is his sense of humour. 

It's amazing how listenable shred can be when the guitar player isn't halfway up his own arse, but damn, is it rare. 

All three of those guys (with a big nod to early Jeff Beck) can make a guitar sound like cheeky laughter - it's expressive, clever and fun. 

PG tells a story about when his daughter was six, her teacher asked the class to bring something in from home, so she brought her dad. He took a guitar and a little amp and showboated a little with some shredding to totally blank looks from the kids, so he played a simple Bo Diddley rhythm instead and they all clapped along, giving him what he said was one of the most important musical lessons of his life. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 871
    edited March 2018
    I love that solo. It took me a very long time to work out and I never quite got to pull it all together no matter how many takes I tried. One day I’ll get it nailed

I also really like the solo solo and general Freddie Mercuryness of this one: 

https://youtu.be/wW7YKHTzfgo
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    I just started listening to this album recently and its awesome. Makes me want to be Paul all over again!
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    @musteatbrain Yes! That's probably my favourite song on the album.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Freddie sounds like... Freddie.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Gilberto Voncerto. Enough said
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1373
    edited September 2018
    Nice to see you back @bucket. One of my fave Paul Gilbert songs and solos is One woman too many but can't find a linky to the correct audio right now..... And yes,he is jaw dropping live

An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @rsvmark I'm afraid this was a necrobump. :(