SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB (potentially): P Bass pickup upgrade

What's Hot
Hi all,

Am in the market for an upgraded pickup for my MIM P Bass. I play with drive/fuzz most of the time so want something fairly hot but still P-Bassy. I'll probably get a SD Quarter Pounder on payday if nothing comes up, but thought I'd check here first! Passive only please.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    edited March 2018
    How much string bending do you do? The obvious rival to the Duncan SPB-3 QP is the DiMarzio DP146 Will Power Middle. Its polepiece arrangement means no volume drop during bends.

Other suggestions;
    Seymour Duncan SPB-4 Steve Harris model
    Bartolini 8S or 8SU
    EMG GZR (passive!)
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    I play hard and heavy with a pick, but don't ever play fret-hand bends. I'm more concerned about keeping the P-Bass 'clunk' (played through Ampegs) with perhaps a slightly thicker output, but not fundamentally changing the tone.
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    edited March 2018
    Sorted :smiley: Got the QPs with the ebay 20% discount.
  • 5redlights5redlights Frets: 317
    No longer relevant or helpful, but aim to get yourself the Aguilar hot P bass pickups at a later stage. They are considerably better than the QPB, more rounded tone, only pickup I'd use in a P-bass from now on if I wanted more output.