I bought a mobile phone from China...

What's Hot
... Redmi Note 4, fantastic spec. £110 great price.

I ordered on 20/01/2018 but never received it. It has taken until today to get a resolution (via PayPal, who were very good) of a full refund.

I ordered it through GeekBuying and to cut a very long story short, they provided a Royal Mail tracking number which was used by 2 shipping companies (EC Firstclass and Royal Mail). Tracking stopped at the EC Firstclass (in China). 

GeekBuying tried to insist I open a case with Royal Mail for a non delivered item. GeekBuying had done (without me asking) a customs dodge and declared it as $20 value, so any refund would have been based on that value. As RM had never received the package they refused to open a case anyway.

Contact with GeekBuying was always replied to promptly but with a totally useless response.

I have items from GeekBuying of a much lower value and had no problem. This experience however has knocked my confidence to deal with them in future.

Just thought I'd pass on my experience and hopefully forewarn people of the potential pitfall of getting a bargain from China.

And I still need a new phone!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• duotoneduotone Frets: 972
    That looks like a decent phone, are you going to get the same model from elsewhere or try something else?
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 782
    I'm not sure. There was an offer on through PayPal while the dispute was going on for a Huawei P Smart where they would credit £50 back to your account, unfortunately this offer has expired now: (

I nearly did it before the dispute was sorted but didn't just incase GeekBuying honoured the original deal.

There is a few of the Redmi Note 4's on eBay which advertise as being global models and cover all the UK 4G frequencies... they lie!
  • damodaidamodai Frets: 38
    Strangely enough I am actually waiting for a delivery of the exact same phone but from Gearbest.  Ordered from one of their "European warehouses" in Spain I think.  

damodai said:
    Strangely enough I am actually waiting for a delivery of the exact same phone but from Gearbest.  Ordered from one of their "European warehouses" in Spain I think.  
    I'd be interested to hear about your buying experience when you've got it.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15925

wots the wing tone?

tae be or not tae be
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Aren't loads of phones from China? Like iPhones... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
     I’ve ordered a couple of things through Amazon which turned out to be sent through Chinese suppliers. Both times they claimed to have sent them via a tracked service but the tracking number turned up nothing on the weblink they sent via email. Both items eventually did arrive, although it was weeks after the promised delivery date. One of the parcels had an “untracked postage” label on the front. I’m not sure the suppliers even knew what “tracking” means, judging by the fractured Engrish in their emails. 
    damodai said:
    Yes , If/when it arrives I'll let you know

damodai said:
    damodai said:
    Yes , If/when it arrives I'll let you know
    Cheers
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited March 2018

I ordered on 20/01/2018 but never received it. It has taken until today to get a resolution (via PayPal, who were very good) of a full refund.

I ordered it through GeekBuying and to cut a very long story short, they provided a Royal Mail tracking number which was used by 2 shipping companies (EC Firstclass and Royal Mail). Tracking stopped at the EC Firstclass (in China). 

GeekBuying tried to insist I open a case with Royal Mail for a non delivered item. GeekBuying had done (without me asking) a customs dodge and declared it as $20 value, so any refund would have been based on that value. As RM had never received the package they refused to open a case anyway.

Contact with GeekBuying was always replied to promptly but with a totally useless response.

I have items from GeekBuying of a much lower value and had no problem. This experience however has knocked my confidence to deal with them in future.

Just thought I'd pass on my experience and hopefully forewarn people of the potential pitfall of getting a bargain from China.

if you had bought through Aliexpress you would have had an immediate refund from them as the money is held in proxy until receipt/satisfaction have been registered - they have little track with vendors mucking buyers about.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

wots the wing tone?

Minor pentatonic. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    57Deluxe said:

if you had bought through Aliexpress you would have had an immediate refund from them as the money is held in proxy until receipt/satisfaction have been registered - they have little track with vendors mucking buyers about.
    Didn't know that... I'll have a look, thanks.
    Phone arrived yesterday but only got my hands on it this evening.  Did'nt take too long to arrive.
    First impressions are positive.Quite a large bright display but not heavy. 

damodai said:
    Phone arrived yesterday but only got my hands on it this evening.  Did'nt take too long to arrive.
    Thanks, sounds like a much better experience than I had with GeekBuying! Did you have to pay any custom charges?

Regarding my non-delivery, I have since had a full refund from PayPal. Back to square one: (

I have been without a smartphone since 20/01/2018 (when my phone died) and have since been using a £5 ASDA special... well it makes calls, connects to the cars bluetooth and texts (badly). It has however been good in that I now spend less time using a mobile phone =)
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Guitar_Slinger said:
    hootsmon said:

wots the wing tone?

Minor pentatonic. :)
    Surely it's just some guy Noodling ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    damodai said:
    Thanks, sounds like a much better experience than I had with GeekBuying! Did you have to pay any custom charges?

Regarding my non-delivery, I have since had a full refund from PayPal. Back to square one: (

I have been without a smartphone since 20/01/2018 (when my phone died) and have since been using a £5 ASDA special... well it makes calls, connects to the cars bluetooth and texts (badly). It has however been good in that I now spend less time using a mobile phone =)
    No customs it came from Spain I think. Got used to the phone and I'd recommend it!!

damodai said:
    damodai said:

No customs it came from Spain I think. Got used to the phone and I'd recommend it!!
    Great thanks.