Mode Question

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3000
    Barney said:
    I think an easy way to look at modes is learn the order they are in first ...play a cmaj scale and relate each each mode to each note and look at the intervals 

So if you play cmaj7 scale from 3rd fret a string ..count up 6 for e.g. and you will have A aeolian...look at the interval and see how it relates back to the parent scale ...the interval will be the same wherever on the fret board ...so  A aeolian is same notes as c Maj...now move the A note to C one the same string now you have C aeolian with a parent scale of Eb 

This will work with all the modes using different intervals a degrees of the scale ..this is relating back to maj scale ..eventually you will need to look at each mode from its root note ..

I'm guessing this is a typo matey.. "cmaj7 scale"

so just in case folk misunderstand this, C maj7 is a chord not a scale
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 350
    Clarky said:
    Barney said:
    I think an easy way to look at modes is learn the order they are in first ...play a cmaj scale and relate each each mode to each note and look at the intervals 

So if you play cmaj7 scale from 3rd fret a string ..count up 6 for e.g. and you will have A aeolian...look at the interval and see how it relates back to the parent scale ...the interval will be the same wherever on the fret board ...so  A aeolian is same notes as c Maj...now move the A note to C one the same string now you have C aeolian with a parent scale of Eb 

This will work with all the modes using different intervals a degrees of the scale ..this is relating back to maj scale ..eventually you will need to look at each mode from its root note ..

Yeah it is my mistake ..I should really read back what I waffle about..lol
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3000
    Barney said:
    Clarky said:
    Barney said:

Yeah it is my mistake ..I should really read back what I waffle about..lol
    I've done exactly the same sort of thing myself...
    and will no doubt do it many times again.. lol..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 49
    I'm with a few others, the modified major scale made far more sense to me than the usual "displacing the major scale" explanation; if I'm playing in B and want to add the Mixolydian feel, i will flatten the seventh and accentuate that (even in a Blues), or sharpen the fourth to create a Lydian feel (or flatten the seventh and raise the fourth to create a Lydian Dominant feel).  Once you have a good three note per string fingering pattern down it;s easy to modify that on the fly plus it trains your ears to hear the differences and you also start to work out who uses those a lot in their playing.

It gets more interesting when you avoid starting near root notes and span the traditional CAGED shapes (e.g. starting on the flat 7th and implying Mixolydian)    
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter