American 90's College Rock appreciation thread

What's Hot

Comments

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    joneve said:

If you like the 10 Spot version of Round Here - you need to listen to the more famous one they did in Paris in 94 (it's on the deluxe edition of AAEA I believe - on Spotify)...they also have a number of great live bootlegs with "famous" versions of Round Here and Murder of One. 

Have you heard them do Rain King with Bruce Springsteen's Thunder Road casually played in the middle? 

I haven't heard either of those, but I have a feeling I should.

I saw them a year or two ago at De Montfort Hall. I was a bit disappointed they didn't do more of their older stuff.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472

joneve said:

If you like the 10 Spot version of Round Here - you need to listen to the more famous one they did in Paris in 94 (it's on the deluxe edition of AAEA I believe - on Spotify)...they also have a number of great live bootlegs with "famous" versions of Round Here and Murder of One. 

Have you heard them do Rain King with Bruce Springsteen's Thunder Road casually played in the middle? 

I haven't heard either of those, but I have a feeling I should.

I saw them a year or two ago at De Montfort Hall. I was a bit disappointed they didn't do more of their older stuff.
    @english_bob ;

Here you go - this is from their "official" bootleg that they released called "Face the Promised Land" - they released this one and another called "By the Time We got to Woodstock"

The whole show is great. There are so many great archive shows that they did - I should really dig out the CDs (I've got about 150 of their bootlegs), as there's some crackers. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And the Paris 94 version of Round Here, which I think they splice in "Private Archipelago" by Sordid Humor in the middle.

quarky said:
    Here's Cracker with Low...

Wow, forgot all about that song. Thanks, that really brings back memories.

Do bands like Weezer count? What about Collective Soul?

Yep, the Blue album is still one of my favourites and I was never a big Collective Soul fan but I've recently got into them due to my daily mixes on Spotify. 
    Whilst We're at it, although late 80's Sordid Humor's Light Music for Dying People is a great album. 
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Hootie will forever be associated with the karaoke scene in Ted...
    Hootie will forever be associated with the karaoke scene in Ted...
    Aye, not sure if that's a bad thing or not! :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I have never heard of (let alone heard) any of the bands in this thread
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Then you are missing out sir. 
  • fobfob Frets: 1430

• horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Always had a soft spot for Where I Find my Heaven cos of Game On, but think Teenage Fanclub did that Big Star thing better. The Posies Frosting on the Beater is also in that same area
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    horse said:
    Always had a soft spot for Where I Find my Heaven cos of Game On, but think Teenage Fanclub did that Big Star thing better. The Posies Frosting on the Beater is also in that same area
    ...and the Posies must have done the Big Star thing best because they ended up *being* Big Star.
    I don't have any of their other records, but Frosting On The Beater is well good.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    horse said:
    ...and the Posies must have done the Big Star thing best because they ended up *being* Big Star.
    I don't have any of their other records, but Frosting On The Beater is well good.
    The 90s were a crazy time!

I always liked the Big Star influenced bands, although would have to admit there were only a handful of Big Star tracks I actually loved
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    horse said:
    Yeah, Jody Stephens heard the Posies covers of Big Star's Feel and the Chris Bell song I Am The Cosmos and thought that Jon and Ken from the Posies would fit the bill perfectly.

Alex Chilton loved Teenage Fanclub but was incredibly dismissive of his own work. He was by far the coolest person I've ever met.

Me? I couldn't choose between Big Star, The Posies or the Fannies. 
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • dtrdtr Frets: 1037
    How about Pavement, Mercury Rev, Dinosaur Jr, Califone/Red Red Meat, Sonic Youth, Beck. John Spencer Blues Explosion...  or are they something else?
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Do Fountains Of Wayne count as 90s college rock? I liked the first self-titled LP - Radiation Vibe, Sick Day - and some of the second one, Utopia Parkway. Clever New Jersey power pop I s'pose. 

The Fannies and Wilco are on a bit of a different (higher/whatever) level for me. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    What about Blues Traveller, Run Around was a great fun tune. 

https://youtu.be/ousaiByU1ko
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    joneve said:
    Then you are missing out sir. 
    There's way too much stuff to listen to. I haven't exhausted the Baroque period yet!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • So many great bands mentioned already, but Buffalo Tom and Drop Nineteens also worth a mention:

Buffalo Tom - Taillights Fade

Drop Nineteens - Winona

• Nada Surf?