Bluegrass Guitar for ~£1000

What's Hot
Hi all,

After fingerpicking almost exclusively for years I've suddenly fallen down the rabbit-hole of flatpicking and now i'm obsessed. I don't think my Larrivee L-02 is gonna cut it, volume-wise, so i'm beginning to look for alternatives.

As mentioned in the subject my budget is around £1000 so that rules out Martin D18s, D28s, et al. Probably even second-hand ones.

Some initial prospects - hopefully I'll get to try them out this weekend:

Eastman E10D:https://www.eastmanguitars.com/e10d
Pros: Super loud. Adirondack Spruce top.

Takamine P4DC: http://www.takamine.com/P4DC
Pros: Takamine acoustic pickups always sound great to my ears. Probably playable as hell and Tak build quality is top notch. Cutaway.
Cons: Probably not as loud as the E10D? 

Note both are Mahogany/Sapele. I would lean towards this tonewood as I would still like to be able to play fingerstyle and I feel like a Mahogany dread is more likely to have better balance and response than a Rosewood equivalent. Plus tonewise i'm big on Norman Blake and Doc Watson, and as I understand it they both played D-18s (or similar spec).

Maybe its best just saving money/selling a kidney for a Martin instead? 

As always, any advice much appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    If you're patient you could probably get a used D-18 for not massively more than that. The Eastmans are very good though, and really good value used if you can find one (I have an E8D and love it). There's an Adirondack-topped E20D floating around on eBay for 800 quid, but it's rosewood. Still, it's like getting a D-28 Marquis for a fraction of the price. Also the Eastmans are quite balanced in my experience - my E8D fingerpicks really well but you can also strum the crap out of it no problem.

Conversely the resale value of Eastmans isn't as high, so I'd avoid paying for a new one if I thought I was likely to want to trade up for a Martin in the nearish future.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    I got my D28 for £1200, so it's worth keeping an eye on the used market.
    Alternatively, have a look at a Sigma SDR28H. Taylor 310's can be got for less than a grand used and that has a mahogany back and sides.

Personally, i'd stretch another £300/400 and get a D28 if I was you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4169
    At the bluegrass festivals, people who aren’t playing high end things seem to gravitate towards Blueridges, although mine would be another vote to find another few hundred quid and hold out for a D18 or D28. 

Good luck on your flatpicking odyssey!
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    @BigLicks67 I wish I could find a D28 for that price! 
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    @BigLicks67 I wish I could find a D28 for that price! 
    Took me about 2 months of looking and some haggling☺
  • Cheers guys. I tried out the Eastman today and it was great flatpicked but I didn't think much of it played fingerstyle. The D18 I tried shortly afterwards however sounded awesome whichever way I played it... :)

To be fair I was more put off by the satin nitrocellulose finish on the E10D's neck. Maybe I have the clammiest hands known to man but I found it too tacky.
  • AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    If you like your Larrivee, look out for their D series; whilst both the 2 and 3 series have hog bodies, there is as,all outpu of D03R, 3 spec with rosewood back and sides.  Second hand,should be within budget.
  • AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    Typo in the above beginning of second line should read “a small output of DO3R”
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    At your price range I'd look at Furch/Stonebridge.

The location in your profile says you are in London.  Last time I was in there, Guitar Classics in Wandsworth did have a Stonebridge dreadnought in priced at £950.  It's still shown on his website but he is not good at updating the website.

It might be worth popping in there and having a look.  There might be other newer stuff not listed on the website.

If that Stonebridge is still there, it's been there a good while, so he might be open to offers on it.
  • Will do. I was actually considering a D-40 as I know the bracing is more akin to a Martin clone than the the D-03; plus I am a big fan of Larrivee in general. Also I notice Martin seem to be fitting all their guitars with 1, 3/4" nuts now whereas Larrivee dreads still use 1, 11/16" and their L & OMs the 1, 3/4".

My only trouble is actually getting my hands on one. The only dealer near me is Wunjo and trying to shop for an Acoustic there is chaos.
  • I will check it out. Thanks @crunchman.