Making an esquire. Which pots?

Title kinda says it all. I've been looking it up and all I can see is 250k for both volume and tone pots but when I come to purchase I'm looking at either audio taper or log pots??? Which do I need people of the fretboard? Another question can I just grab any old pots from maplins etc or should I buy them specifically for guitar? Sorry if these are ridiculous questions
How very rock and roll
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Maplin won't do anything suitable for a guitar. If you don't have a local guitar store that has any go to axesrus.co.uk depending on how much you want to spend they'll do cts or alpha pots, I'd get 250k audio taper for volume and tone. If the guitar is a little more highend or you want to spend a bit extra bareknuckle do some premium cts pots that people seem to like, different taper and higher tolerance.
    If it's a basic build them just go to axesrus
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    Lovely stuff! Cheers
    How very rock and roll
  • Bourns pots come very highly recommended, I'm going for those next time :)
  • AlanPAlanP Frets: 54
    Typically, "audio taper" == "log" (ok, log is a specification, and "audio taper" is anything that the manufacturer wants it to mean, but normally it is two terms that mean exactly the same thing), and that's what you need for both volume and tone...
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10362
    tFB Trader
    Bourns 250k audio (log) pots are my favorite ... RS do them cheaper than most. They don't do much else of the huge Bourns range, but 24mm guitar pots they have.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message