Tremolo Springs - straight or angled?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited March 2018
    ICBM said:
    The reason it came about is because it’s difficult to hook the springs onto the outer claw positions with your fingers, since they get trapped against the wall of the cavity.
    ahhhh that makes sense..
    and also makes sense why I never understood it, cos I never had that prob... 
    I hook the springs into the trem block first
    then pop a small flat screw driver through the spring's loops
    place the screw driver's blade behind the trem claw's hooks
    then slide the spring's loop down the screw driver and onto the claw's hook...
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72229
    Clarky said:

ahhhh that makes sense..
    That’s the proper Fender way of doing it :).

You used to get a packet of two extra springs with a new Strat, which had an illustration of that method printed on it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I just found it easier to get the tension and ‘float’ where I wanted it when the springs were angled. I have no doubt I could get the same result with the springs straight with time, effort and a better knowledge of setups. 
    The point at which the bridge ‘floats’ is determined solely by the balance between string and spring tension - which is adjusted by either tightening or slackening the spring claw screws. 
    I suspect I need more springs - I like quite a lot of resistance but also a bit of upward travel - with 3 straight springs I found I could only get one or the other.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4721
    ICBM said:
    Clarky said:

ahhhh that makes sense..
    That’s the proper Fender way of doing it :).

You used to get a packet of two extra springs with a new Strat, which had an illustration of that method printed on it.
    I do it the Fender way too & never knew it!  Just seemed logical.  :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13936
    Lebarque said:
    Raw vintage springs. All five in straight.
    Stock springs, all 5, in straight and screw the clawn in until even The Hulk wouldn't get the bridge plate to move while bending strings. This is the bes way to set a Strat trem!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jakzekjakzek Frets: 55
    I currently have 3 in the ‘crow’s foot’ configuration but I’m going to switch to all 5 in straight. 

Any tips for removing the outer springs without taking my eyes out? 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I like 2 springs, straight. Angled makes my OCD eye twitch
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72229
    jakzek said:
    I currently have 3 in the ‘crow’s foot’ configuration but I’m going to switch to all 5 in straight. 

Any tips for removing the outer springs without taking my eyes out? 
    If you’re going to add springs you will need to adjust the claw anyway, so simply back the screws off until the springs are loose, then screw them back in again afterwards.

Remember to slacken the strings fully first ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31477
    In simple mechanical terms, angled springs introduce a point of friction which isn't there with straight springs. 

It may be very slight, but it's avoidable and unnecessary. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    tone1 said:
    I love mine angled.... I know straight is better for Technical reasons but mine looks cool...

https://i.imgur.com/QerRE1q.jpg
    just noticed from that pic

the bog roll is missing..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I've seen a used Strat in GuitarGuitar that had the springs in an N Shape.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom