New Toys for the workshop.

What's Hot
GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
edited March 2018 in Making & Modding tFB Trader

I'm trying to make more space in my workshop, I'm been selling off some of the bodies and necks that been lying around for a while. I'm now going to try and clear out some of the bigger machines, the first one that I think I can replace is a long bed belt sander. This is the machine that I radius my fingerboards on. I've been using it for 10 or 12 years. It does a great job very quick, most likely just over a minute to radius the fingerboard. However, it does take up room plus it has to be connected to a dust extractor.

I have found these beautiful engineered radius jigs. I watched the video and they look just I what need. They come in all the standard radius you're ever likely to need. I purchased two complete kits to do 9.5 inch and 12 inch radius. The company did tell me I only need one kit and you can buy the different radius parts separately. But I decided to buy the two kits, although it doesn't look too difficult to change from one size to another, but thought it would save time and be easier to have two main radius I use permanently set up.They are available to take three makes of router. I went for the ones that take Makita, as this is a beautiful router and quite quiet compared to the others that these kits take. Also I found the Makita router for £99.

I've made the plywood jig that the machine runs on. The company video shows the fingerboard being radius before slotting, I'm I was hoping I could slot the fingerboard's first, the reason being my slotting machine has the fingerboard, facing downwards, Thus cannot easily slot a radius fingerboard. I slotted up a couple of rosewood fingerboard's, then use the machine to cut a 12 inch radius on the boards. It worked beautifully, I was slightly worried that radius in this way might chip the fingerboard's as the router cutter when over the slots, it did not, so I am well  pleased.

It only took a couple of minutes to do the radius, but the main thing is they are perfectly radiused, and will only need a small amount of sanding to finish them off. I’ll work with these new machines for a month or so if all goes well, I can then sell off the long bed belt sander.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    That’s a neat little jig. I like the security screws and slots which stop it coming apart in use. I presume that it actually cuts to 11.5” radius, and sanding brings the radius to 12”.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    tFB Trader
    Roland said:
    That’s a neat little jig. I like the security screws and slots which stop it coming apart in use. I presume that it actually cuts to 11.5” radius, and sanding brings the radius to 12”.
    No, the board comes off dead on 12 inch. 

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

• 4xv4xv Frets: 49
    Like those jigs where did you get them from? And how much?
    tFB Trader
    4xv said:
    Like those jigs where did you get them from? And how much?
    All the information on where to get them is at the end of the video, I think they are very cheap about £114 plus any shipping costs from Portugal. And of course you will need the appropriate router that's fits to the jig. 

• 4xv4xv Frets: 49
    Ah sorry didnt watch the vid saw your pics and decided I needed one of those in my new workshop! 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    You’re not the only one who thought that
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    edited March 2018
    GSPBASSES said:

All the information on where to get them is at the end of the video, 
    For anyone wondering whether the video link has gone, it's here;

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    The good thing about the change of plan is that it gave me more practice with the home-made radiusing jig  :)

If I ever get round to building a version 2 there are a few improvements I would make but, to be honest, it seems to do the job.  Here it is after one pass (cutting the radius and then indexing it forward 3mm or so each time):

I'm pretty sure the lines on the righthand side is that the two radius ends of the jig a slightly out with each other, causing one corner of the router bit to dig in.  You see the effect more here - but decent first pass rough radius?  :

After 15 mins or so with the radius block it was like this:

I was impressed with the similar one that @Andyjr1515 made here: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/124783/finished-pics-c18q1-swift-lite-version-2/p1
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    tFB Trader
    I put the new radius jig through its places today and I am still well impressed. Made a couple small changes to the way the instructions tell you to use it, first instead of starting off going down the centre of the board, I decided it might be better to go slightly off centre. As I figured if you make a cut down the centre of the board it will cut flat the width of the cutter. By moving it slightly off centre it stops that happening. After I radiused a couple of fingerboard's it become obvious that one pass gave you a good enough finish not to worry about a second pass. Once I realised this, the fingerboard blanks were thickness almost to the finished size. Once the fingerboard's had been radiused it only needed a couple of minutes with a sanding block  to finish it off. Although I've decided not to sand them until after the fingerboard has been glued to the neck blank.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom