Runnin' Down a Dream - what's this guitar part pls?

What's Hot
pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
Hey all, quick favour please - I have to play Runnin' Down a Dream at RockProject tonight.

At 17s (sun beat down) there is a 2 note lick, simple bend up and back I think, what is it please?

The chords are E to some sort of D and back - is the bend the 10th fret of skinny E (a D) up to E and back?

Yes my ear needs work.

Thank you.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    (Actually it's in E major so I guess the start note is likely to be D# - if right tree I am at).
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    I’m going from memory here (been a while since I played it) but I think you’re right on the note, just a different string. I think it’s using a slide and on the b string, 15 to 17 then repeat the 17th fret note.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    It's a D#->E

If it were me I'd just bend 16 fret on B string up a semitone slowly  maybe with a pinch harmonic 
    ta both, I'm in the ballpark then.

and to settle a matter of some dispute in my crew, the quick strummy in the chorus bit is seven strums?
    Yep. Seven strums counted as +2+3+4+
    BTW I wouldn't work to much about total accuracy for fills or the solo.

#spinal tap mode enaged# With this song capturing the vibe is way more important and you can play pretty much anything in the ball park as long as the feel is there #spinal tap mode disengaged#
    yeah agree. I can't do the solo but I can do a few bars that sound like a difficult distant cousin. It'll be fit for purpose.
    Em pentatonic with money shot bends and loads of vibrato should see you through. Good luck.

And good song choice. Full Moon Fever is a fantastic album. 
    yeah, it'll be good. I have a lot of history with that album, I remember buying it on cassette in the 80s in my knackered old Capri en route to Cardiff, first Petty I heard, loved it. Love Is A Long Road is a big fave too.

and we're also doing Rocking In the Free World, another stormer, looking forwards to it. And handily it's the same scales.

Rocking in the Free World is one of the new numbers for my next rehearsal too. I'm not looking forward to the vocals - a bit on the high side. But I love the main riff and the solos should be fun. 

Have you heard the live version he did at Hyde Park? There are multiple false endings to the point it's farcical. I think we'll do one of them as an in joke for any Neil Young fans in the audience. 
    @pmbomb how did it go? 
    Hi, ta for follow up. Diplomatically, the performance left some to be desired but I covered my end ok. It was a good night overall and the Reigate crew put out couple of belters.

Thanks for support, musicians are cool!
    Lol Rocking In the Free World: the pub has an acoustic kit which they took out for an electric kit which then broke down! So I ended up doing a Hyde Park length outro solo, quite a challenge in pentatonic shape 1 .

(No not really 9 minutes but felt like it haha) .
    Awesome. Those unplanned solos to cover the chaos are often the most fun
    Yeah it's funny in hindsight, because I'd planned to keep that solo short and snappy .I only know so many notes!

Crowd were clapping along filling in for the missing drums. Drummer going his best full on but without power they were just making a flap flap noise .