65 and 68 Princeton reissues, negative feedback and noise floors

What's Hot
noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 796
edited March 2018 in Amps
I appear to be talking myself into a Princeton as well as my current 65RI Deluxe Reverb rather than instead of, as a bit more of a grab ‘n’ go solution for low volume/guitars only jamming. Might as well convert various small bits of unused gear into something practical.
Given that I therefore wouldn’t need much headroom out of it, and in fact it would be nice to get it growling a bit at lower volumes, I’m tempted by the look of the 68 Custom. There isn’t a huge gulf between the 65 and 68 second hand prices.
Just wondering about the effect of the 68 lower negative feedback on noise floor though, as it would be nice to run it at home without intrusive levels of hiss.
Presumably though, if the background noise did affront my delicate sensibilities I could get the resistor swapped for a higher value?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283
    FWIW I play my ‘68 quietly at home every day. There is a small amount of hiss, as you’d get from almost any amp. And I am usualky quite sensitive to hiss in general. But l’ve never been bothered by hiss from the ‘68. It just sounds great.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1629

I have NO expertize on the 68 Custom but a higher value resistor in the SERIES feedback path will reduce feedback and increase noise.

By the same logic, reducing it will reduce noise but be very careful because increasing feedback can lead to instability. One of the top men here will no doubt put you right.

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    The stock value in the '65 Princeton is 2.7K, so you could fit a switch to add a resistor in parallel with the one in the '68 (I'm not sure what that is, but it will be higher) to bring it down to an effective 2.7K. That would give you the option of either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31519
    edited March 2018
    I had a 68 Custom and swapped back and forth a couple of times to 65 spec resistor values in the tonestack and the NFB, and there was no practical difference between them in terms of noise. 

Both Princeton models have a much lower noise floor than either of the Deluxe models. 

I would happily use either Princeton, they made a big deal about the 68 Custom spec, but the changes from the 65 make less difference than speaker choice in my experience, they're both great amps.  
  • Thanks all, this is very helpful to know. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    p90fool said:
    I had a 68 Custom and swapped back and forth a couple of times to 65 spec resistor values in the tonestack and the NFB, and there was no practical difference between them in terms of noise. 

Both Princeton models have a much lower noise floor than either of the Deluxe models. 

I would happily use either Princeton, they made a big deal about the 68 Custom spec, but the changes from the 65 make less difference than speaker choice in my experience, they're both great amps.  
    I've got a 68.

The big difference is the speaker as far as I can see.  The Celestion that the 68 comes with just adds mid range mud.  It definitely sounds better with a WGS Veteran in there.

The UK WGS dealer seems to be out of stock at the moment though:

http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/wgs-g10-veteran-20w-10-guitar-speaker-8ohm-p-1939.html

Someone was selling a Weber 10F150 in the Classifieds.  That would probably be perfect in a Princeton.
    I had a WGS alnico of some sort then a Ragin' Cagin in mine, but put the stock Celestion back in it when I sold it to the other guitarist in my band.

He's been gigging it flat out ever since and it sounds bloody awesome now even with that speaker, I wish I'd kept it!
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9692
    edited March 2018
    I wouldn't have thought you'd get natural breakup on the 68 at home volumes by the way, it's too loud for me playing clean though I'm in a small room. Has to go pretty high to overdrive though
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    We did a ltd edition '65 last month in tweed with a 12" speaker. Worth comparing one if you can find one. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    MattFGBI said:
    We did a ltd edition '65 last month in tweed with a 12" speaker. Worth comparing one if you can find one. 
    Went looking and found some in Andertons. They've got Cannabis Rex speakers.

Fender also did a limited '65 Princeton Bordeaux Reserve with a 12" Jensen P12Q speaker a couple of years ago.

Spoilt for choice?
  • I have a rajin' cagin in my 68 and it sounds wonderfull. I also had Zilla make me a matching 12" cab for a bit more stage presence. I very rarely use anything else both live and in the studio.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

The main effect of reducing the negative feedback wrt noise will be the increase in gain in the power amp, so any noise from the pre-amp will be amplified more.

There will be a small increase in hum from the power amp, however this is probably insignificant.

• sratosrato Frets: 24
    I bought a Custom 68 new about 2 years ago and there was so much hiss that I had to send it back after a few days.  The reverb was very hissy and the tremolo generated a sort of ticking noise.  I have other amps and some hiss is acceptable but the 68 Custom PR was unusable.
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283
    srato said:
    I bought a Custom 68 new about 2 years ago and there was so much hiss that I had to send it back after a few days.  The reverb was very hissy and the tremolo generated a sort of ticking noise.  I have other amps and some hiss is acceptable but the 68 Custom PR was unusable.
    Ouch. Not my experience at all with mine. All just goes to show, best approach, if you can, is to go to a shop, take your own guitar, and try before you buy...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    srato said:
    I've no idea why the bias tremolo would tick on a Princeton. 

Deluxe yes, but Princeton? 

That said, my Princeton was noisy when it arrived, the valves just needed a wiggle to reseat them after being in transit. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9692
    Yes my 68 is noisier with the reverb and or trem on
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic