Voting for Solo of the Month (SotM) #34

Welcome to the voting thread for Solo of the Month (SotM) #34

Voting will end on 11.30pm 31st March 2018.

Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

Vote for your top 3 entries! If you're an entrant you can't vote for yourself.

1st choice gets 5 points
2nd choice gets 3 points
3rd choice gets 1 point

You can find all the entries the playlist below:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm34-2018-03

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    edited March 2018
    Below is a link to the chat thread which gives some info and comments on the submissions.

There are the following entrants, but you don't have to be an entrant to vote or comment. It's open to everyone.

It's not a competition.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    That was really tough to choose just 3. Great playing all round and licks worth stealing from every single entry. I'll go with 

5 points - @Bellycaster ;
    3 points - @Brad ;
    1 point -   @ChrisRG ;
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    edited March 2018
    Short on time again so no time for a detailed score today I’m afraid. 

@Brad - 5 points.

@stratman3142 - 3 points.

@ChrisRG - 1 point.

Well done all round though folks.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4093
    @Rowby1 = 5 points
    @Brad = 3 points
    @Stratman3142 = 1 point

I liked elements of all of them and there were some gems of phrases littered throughout. In particular though:

Rowby1 - THis was the biggest ear worm for me, that James Bond-esque tremolo effect over a simple riff stuck with me.

Brad - Now there's a guy who clearly knows his jazz scales.  Every not sounded deliberate and as important, no, more important than the one that preceded it.

Stratman3142 = Sounded very well composed with some nice phrasing.  I'm sure he could play this again note for note without any trouble.

cheers

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    @Brad ; = 5 points
    @stratman3142 = 3 points
    @Rowby1 = 1 point

Again Brad shows his greatness in an understated way. Some really lovely touches without beating us all up too badly. You've shown a real understanding of the track too.

Stratman3142 - Fits the piece really well - again demoing how to be understated but showing you've got the chops if you need them. Great as always.

Rowby1 - I agree with @fastonebaz in that it could be a detective show theme. Another lesson in listening to the music and playing something understated and memorable. If this were a themed brief you'd have had 5pts from me all day.

Some great stuff all through this month again.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    5  Points - @fastonebaz ;

3 Points - @stratman3142 

1 Point - @Brad 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    5 points to @Rowby1 - loved this sounds like a big old Gretsch with a bigsby .. cool

3 points to @Brad - cool solo with some great runs and jazz flavoured chords

1 point to @DulcetJones ; - a slow burn solo

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    @Rowby1 ; = 5 points

@Brad = 3 points

@stratman3142  = 1 point

I liked elements of everyones, there were some gems of a phrase in most pieces but the reasons I choose these:

Rowby1 - I found this was the biggest earworm for me.  That James Bond-esque tremolo effect over a simple riff caught in my mind.

Brad - Now there's a guy who knows his jazz scales, i like jazz scales, each note sounded deliberate.

Stratman3142 - This piece was well planned out and composed and I'm sure could be replayed virtually note for note each time. I liked it.
    @Rowby1 ; = 5 points

@Brad = 3 points

@stratman3142  = 1 point

I liked elements of everyones, there were some gems of a phrase in most pieces but the reasons I choose these:

Rowby1 - I found this was the biggest earworm for me.  That James Bond-esque tremolo effect over a simple riff caught in my mind.

Brad - Now there's a guy who knows his jazz scales, i like jazz scales, each note sounded deliberate.

Stratman3142 - This piece was well planned out and composed and I'm sure could be replayed virtually note for note each time. I liked it.
    Not sure why i voted 3 times. Technical glitch there. 
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    @Rowby1 5 points - Moody and atmospheric. Great tone, phrasing, note choice and restraint. Very tasty as per usual!

@ChrisRG 3 points - Lovely statement that you played off against during the first half of the solo, from there building up intensity with some great lines. A nicely developed and cohesive solo.

@fastonebaz 1 point - Pure, unashamed shred! Reminds me a little of Satriani in places and sounds like this just flowed out, I like that kind of honesty in a solo.

Some good stuff again and really tough to narrow it down to just the 3. Maybe we should allow a 4th entrant to share a score?!

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    Brad said:

Some good stuff again and really tough to narrow it down to just the 3. Maybe we should allow a 4th entrant to share a score?!

Agreed. And I think that's a good idea. 2 third places each with a point?
    Brad said:

Yeah that's the idea, or the joint score could be in any position, but only at the discretion of the voter. So if a voter feels it's pretty clear cut, no need for a joint score. So it's to be used wisely. But there have been many times where I've felt solos deserve at least a point, many 3 points and some sharing 5 points occasionally. 
    edited March 2018
    Brad said:
    Brad said:

Yeah that's the idea, or the joint score could be in any position, but only at the discretion of the voter. So if a voter feels it's pretty clear cut, no need for a joint score. So it's to be used wisely. But there have been many times where I've felt solos deserve at least a point, many 3 points and some sharing 5 points occasionally. 

I have enough trouble making sure I've added up the scores correctly as it is, so I'll definitely get confused it the scoring gets too complicated

But when there are a large number of entries, I'm happy to add a fourth (or even fifth) place as well.

It's not a competition.
    @stratman3142 haha I totally get that, and it is at the risk of overcomplicating things so I understand if you want to keep it as it is. :smile: 

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting a 4th or 5th place, keep it as the top three highest scores as usual. Rather just including one additional solo on the scoring spectrum at the voters discretion. 

• markvmarkv Frets: 459
    5 points @Brad - lovely sound, beautiful note choices (particularly the chordal bits).
    3 points @Rowby1 - gorgeous tone, maybe a tiny bit same-y towards the end but with a tone that luscious it's easy to forgive
    1 point @mudslide73 - a nice sense of space around this one.
    edited March 2018
    @Brad - 5 points: I think this might be my favourite ever SotM entry. Wonderful jazzy lines and feel. Some real goosebump moments which had me shaking my head and saying 'Whoo' out loud a few times Absolutely love it. Blown away.

@Rowby1 - 3 points: Big sounding spy theme guitar sound. Tones and lines that fitted the backing well. Something a bit Johnny A about it.

@markv - 1 point: Nicely understated octave playing that fits the backing really well. Love the harmonies at the end. Again something a bit Johnny A about this.

It's not a competition.
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    edited March 2018
    @Brad - 5 points , some great stuff,  very mid 70's L.A Jazz scene (Carlton/Benson/Ritenouresque). 

@Rowby1 - 3 points . Superb alternative take on the track , very languid and decadent tone . 

@mudslide73 - 1 point . Reminded me of Carlos Sanatana's (decent) earlier stuff . 

well played to everyone who contributed . some great solos !
    Voting will end tomorrow (31st March 2018) at 11.30pm.

It's not a competition.
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    Great playing everyone.  Loads of different ideas.  1st place was an easy choice for me but there were 3 or 4 people fighting over 2nd and 3rd. 

5 points - @Brad - Love the jazz feel.  Great playing, great note choice and great tone.  Well played sir.

3 points - @stratman3142 - Trademark smooth playing and great tone.  As has been said above, playing seems effortless.

1 point - @fastonebaz - And the prize for the most notes goes too........  Obviously there's loads of technique there but I really liked how there was still some good melody too.