SORTED - Versatile 80s rock overdrive pedal (single)

What's Hot

Comments

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I have a Warthog, Peacekeeper, Carpe Diem, D&M Drive and Mad Professor 1 that I can lend for quite a while Cos
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3019
    edited March 2018
    I can lend you a horrible Danelectro Grilled Cheese Distortion Cos. It'll make all your current pedals sound fantastic in comparison so you'll forget about wanting a new pedal, saving you time AND money.

#theVizSolution

P.s. I should really listen to my own advice sometimes  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steersteer Frets: 1188
    MXR Distortion +  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    I had a Weehbo JVM that was good at smoother dirt. Lots of EQ, voltage switch & boost. The only one on ebay is about 50 quid more than I paid new though.
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    Rothwell Heartbreaker
  • SD-1w or early eighties Boss OD-1 or the SD-2 Dual Overdrive. I love my OD-1 a lot more aggressive than a regular TS, it has that vintagey 80’s sound in it. It’s surprisingly versatile but can it can handle the 90’s alternative stuff too if you’re in that? My only complaint is there’s not a lot of bass on it... but with the drive all the way up and set the level around noon sounds glorious 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    I have a Warthog, Peacekeeper, Carpe Diem, D&M Drive and Mad Professor 1 that I can lend for quite a while Cos
    Thanks David and I'll speak to you soon and I'd forgotten about the MP1 plus I need to talk Helix and Suhr with you

@Flanging_Fred - you love the weird and wonderful Julian. You are definitely Mr.Leftfield :)

Thanks for the other suggestions chaps and some similar ones coming up
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    Surely you need a Boss DS1 and SD1? What else was around in the 80's, apart from a TS?
    Proco Rat
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Ada MP1 or similar preamp maybe something offering range of sounds you are after?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

Mad Professor Mighty Red Distortion

https://www.mpamp.com/eu/mighty-red-distortion-factory-pedal

From the blurb on their website:

MRD has that 80′s sound many have longed for but never got before at such low noise levels and versatility. The Presence control was designed to control the upper treble, but not to affect the upper midrange, so that you can get the exact treble you desire. You can master anything from fat warm singing distortion to screaming cutting leads with the MRD’s Presence control.

Step into your spandex trousers and plug in the Mighty Red Distortion pedal!

I've got one and it's great fun.  £119 at Andertons at the moment.

edited March 2018
    mr-mac said:
    Ada MP1 or similar preamp maybe something offering range of sounds you are after?
    Had one, and one of the really good ones and it was, indeed, excellent, but looking for a single pedal - cheers

@crunchman - I'll take a look at that one as I like MP pedals and his (Marko's) designs and descriptions are usually spot on
  • althyalthy Frets: 92
    Boss st-2?great Marshall plugin in a box.  Got one up for sale, i was using it with a solid state best boss dirt i've heard more convincing than tones of boutique stuff and a lot cheaper. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    althy said:
    Boss st-2?great Marshall plugin in a box.  Got one up for sale, i was using it with a solid state best boss dirt i've heard more convincing than tones of boutique stuff and a lot cheaper. 

I agree with you on that one, the ST-2 is one of Boss's best dirt pedals, probably my favourite Boss dirt, although the Metal Zone combined with the GE-7 is way more versatile IMO.
    I did like the demo for the Boss ST-2 and the OD1X so easy ones to check out in a shop.

Although I didn't like the JHS Angry Charlie, I like the sound and idea of the new AT+ and actually, the new Fender Santa Ana is a little similar and looks interesting.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7122
    A bit of a lower budget left field suggestion but have you tried the Blackstar dual LT ?
    A bit of a lower budget left field suggestion but have you tried the Blackstar dual LT ?
    I have and the other bigger models and a yellow one back in the day but I found them too fizzy.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Have you tried the ADA MP1 pedal??
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4093
    I've stacked a maxon od808 with a fulltone plimsoul with excellent results for 80s shred when wettened up with reverb and chorus.
    Have you tried the ADA MP1 pedal??
    Good call D. PM'd you@hubobulous
    edited April 2018
    fastonebaz said:t
    I've stacked a maxon od808 with a fulltone plimsoul with excellent results for 80s shred when wettened up with reverb and chorus.
    Stacking certainly works and like you, I've found the right combination but I need at least 3 pedal depressions to get there and I didn't want to faff around with loopers/Quartermaster (bought a QMX and sold it immediately). Hence, trying to find a single pedal. An Amptweaker Tight Rock Jr has also been suggested as well