Belated NGD: 1983 Ibanez RS405

What's Hot
FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
edited March 2018 in Guitar
From the warehouse of HarrySeven. Now, modified.
https://i.imgur.com/D2BFx7d.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/q4wK8GJ.jpg?1

Lace Sensor Light Blue, Silver and Burgundy pickups in an unholy alliance with the stock Ibanez wiring harness.

I like four of the sounds on the selector switch. Probably going to rejig the wiring to get neck + bridge in parallel. Tempted to add a *lead* switch to bypass the selector switch and link two pickups in series.

Original Duncan Quarter Pound lookalike pickups. 
https://i.imgur.com/zIxYwZy.jpg?1
7.5k Ohms, dual underslung ceramic bar magnets, oversized coils and covers, curious three screw mounting arrangement.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030

:)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mar10mar10 Frets: 12
    edited March 2018
    Sweet guitar, does he charge extra for the control knobs?  ;)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    edited March 2018
    mar10 said:
    Sweet guitar
    It's getting there. The aim is a giggable beater that does a bit of everything.
    mar10 said:
    does he charge extra for the control knobs?  ;)

Those are off because I am probably going to change to American pots in the near future.

As usual in my H7 transactions, the missing part is the vibrato arm - not that I had any intention of using it. The Hard Rocker is clamped firmly down onto the top of the guitar.
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Nice! I've always liked those and the Blazers.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    A bit like my Blazer but obvs better pickups!
    I did neck and bridge option but it doesn't do anything I like - keep meaning to get the soldering iron out to change it back - I also have the phase reverse switch which doesn't do anything I like either.
    Nice! I've always liked those and the Blazers.
    The 1983/4 RS reminds me of a modified Roland G505 that I should never have let go.

A bit like my Blazer but obvs better pickups!
    My opinion of Lace Sensors fluctuates wildly. They are better than either the Super 6 single coils of the Roadster or those covered/sealed units seen on lower priced variants of the Blazer.

The only obvious downside of my modification is that the over-sized pickup cut-outs in the Ibanez pickguard leave a gap around any conventional replacement pickup for Stratocaster. The elevator screw holes needed some work too.

I did neck and bridge option but it doesn't do anything I like
    The signals from two sh*t pickups combined often add up to another sh*t sound. :(

I also have the phase reverse switch which doesn't do anything I like either.
    How could it, unless the stock pickups were interconnected in series à la Brian May Red Special?

For what it is worth, there was a British guy on the Seymour Duncan User Group forum who had fitted a Blazer with SD Custom Shop StraBro90 pickups. The coil tap on each of these offered a choice of P90 or Strat sounds. The affordable UK equivalent solution would be the Alegree Sub-Zero or the Creamery Strat-90. As far as I can tell, neither Mojo nor Oil City offers a production line pickup of this type. (An OCP Kayman on Stratocaster-sized fibreboard bobbin plates might do the job.)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2018
    UPDATE: After much pickup height screw adjustment, I have concluded that this particular Lace Sensor set sounds fine through overdriven amplification but unconvincing clean. 

The frets need minor attention.

I am still mulling over the *lead* mode switch idea.
    ZOMBIE THREAD RESUSCITATION

After months of faffing about with trios of Seymour Duncan and Oil City single coil pickups, the RS405 has come good with DiMarzio pickups.

N - DP181 Fast Track, courtesy of @rockmonster ;
    C - DP186 Cruiser N, courtesy of @Descalona ;
    B - DP184 Chopper, courtesy of @Mattayus ;

Thank you, gentlemen.

This pickup combination is heavily plugged in the DiMarzio website Tech Talk sub-pages. Turns out that they were right. It helps to use a DiMarzio Pro Parts 250k pot for volume. IMO, it detracts to use a Fender No-Load™ pot as a tone control.

The Cruiser N sounds brittle without the loading influence of the tone pot. I found it similarly brittle through a 500k volume in a different guitar. 

The only pickup selection with which I am remotely dissatisfied is the centre pickup by itself. (It is fine in positions 2 and 4.) Might be worth rewiring to have N + B instead.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Funkfingers has the image been removed? I wanted a look but the link doesn’t seem to work anymore. 
    Correct. The images from my opening post have long since been deleted - both from Imgur and my own computer. 

FWIIW, they illustrated the guitar with a trio of Lace Sensors that I no longer possess. 

You can see what the stock Ibanez Super 6 pickups look like by searching on Google.

I shall upload images of the guitar as it looks now when I finish tinkering with minor details.
  • Correct. The images from my opening post have long since been deleted - both from Imgur and my own computer. 

FWIIW, they illustrated the guitar with a trio of Lace Sensors that I no longer possess. 

You can see what the stock Ibanez Super 6 pickups look like by searching on Google.

I shall upload images of the guitar as it looks now when I finish tinkering with minor details.
    Brill thanks.  Love the older Ibanez guitars