Anybody tried providence Sov 1 pedal

BarneyBarney Frets: 614
Just had a bit of an impulse buy ...looks right up my street just wondering off anybody has tried one or knows what they are like ...I can't get much info off the net ...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BarneyBarney Frets: 614
    Anybody :)
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    I think @hywelg has had one of these in the past.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9446
    Yes mate, Ive had a couple of varieties and were always impressed with them.

Not fizzy, clear sounding and able to cut through the mix if that makes sense.

Sounded great (like the Zendrive) smooth and worked well with my Redplate CDS2 ;)
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    I bought mine about 10 years ago after I saw one on Matt Schofields board. Does what he always wants an o/d to do, boost, thicken and maintain clarity.  

Been a while since I've used mine, must get it out again and give it a go. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    I tried one about 3 yrs back and it was actually stellar. Very much TS 9 with more hair

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Yes mate, Ive had a couple of varieties and were always impressed with them.

Not fizzy, clear sounding and able to cut through the mix if that makes sense.

Sounded great (like the Zendrive) smooth and worked well with my Redplate CDS2 ;)
    That sounds good 
    How does it compare with the drive off the CDS2... 
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    I've not owned the big box mains powered Sov 1 (if that's the one you're asking about) but I've had a FTT Sov-2 on my board for the past 4 years.

As others suggest the Sov pedals tend to have:

- lots of headroom and good clarity 
    - wide total spectrum, don't expect much bass roll off or bass clipping like a tube screamer
    - Some mid boost, but no where near as much as a tube screamer
    - in the dumble category, but I'd say less concentrated mids than a Zendrive. It's probably closer to the Simble pedal than anything else I've had

Take from that what you will...
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    BBBlues said:
    I've not owned the big box mains powered Sov 1 (if that's the one you're asking about) but I've had a FTT Sov-2 on my board for the past 4 years.

- wide total spectrum, don't expect much bass roll off or bass clipping like a tube screamer
    - in the dumble category, but I'd say less concentrated mids than a Zendrive. It's probably closer to the Simble pedal than anything else I've had

The guitar / pedal / amp combination makes a huge difference to the resulting sound of any pedal.

I use a SOV-2 with single coil pickups and a Fender style amp. In that configuration I don't think it sounds anything like a Zen drive. To my ears the Zen has more midrange drive and is very Dumble like. I dont hear any Dumble qualities with the SOV-2. To my ears and with my configuration, I can happily use a Zen with my amp "clean" but the SOV-2 needs a pushed / dirty amp to shine.
    I don't disagree. Simply using comparisons others have made above :)

The dumble category is a very broad term. I'd say it leans that way more than a TS type pedal though, but totally agree it's got its own thing going on. 
    edited March 2018
    BBBlues said:

Thanks ..iv always used amp drive so will be a bit different trying a pedal ..
    Just dug mine out again and had a play through my Rambler. With the gain up its quite Dumbley, but I preferred it with the gain down a bit just a little bit of hair into an amp not quite breaking up. Treble boost on and boost on, then just use guitar volume,  sublime.

hywelg said:
    Just dug mine out again and had a play through my Rambler. With the gain up its quite Dumbley, but I preferred it with the gain down a bit just a little bit of hair into an amp not quite breaking up. Treble boost on and boost on, then just use guitar volume,  sublime.

Still waiting for mine to come :) 
    How do they compare to amp drive ..mainly redplate 
    TBH I always preferred the Blackverb  with a pedal in front pushing it. If you want dirt for rhythm get a Jcm800 :). Dumble style amps do singing lead well and cleans sublimely but crunch is always their weakspot especially with a strat. I still use my Ceriatone OTS as a pedal platform with the OD channel for lead only. 
    So @Barney , what do you reckon to it ?
    hywelg said:
    So @Barney , what do you reckon to it ?
    I had a go the other night at rehearsal ..but I have the feeling it needs more volume to get the best ... I like it ...not sure there is enough gain for a lot of the stuff we do but really need to have another try 
    Yeah, it's definitely not a dirt pedal. I think it's a lot like a Klon in that it's designed to work an amp on the point of breakup. 
    Interesting. Sounds like it has less gain than a SOV2 then.
    No probably not, but it's definitely got more headroom. Both SOV's sound best with moderate gain to me.